• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cropping

StuartRae

In another thread I posted an image of a long view, with, I hoped, the emphasis on the observer as much as the view itself.

Asher has asked me to post the before and after images in a new thread, presumably to show how cropping alters one's perception of an image.

So here they are.

025s.jpg

025.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

In another thread I posted an image of a long view, with, I hoped, the emphasis on the observer as much as the view itself.

Asher has asked me to post the before and after images in a new thread, presumably to show how cropping alters one's perception of an image.
Well, it certainly shows that a hamburger is not the same as a cheeseburger.

Great shot, by the way.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In another thread, (here), I posted an image of a long view, with, I hoped, the emphasis on the observer as much as the view itself.

So here they are.

Stuart,

Thanks do much for sharing these images. The cropped version you showed first in the original thread, left me wondering, "what's going on?"

025.jpg

The figure on the right was hardly in the picture and there are excess backpacks on the ground. So one is not sure about what has happened up to that point.

To me it seemed that the photographer would have allowed the figure on the right to enter the framing and allow more foreground to establish that person as an intended subject of the whole scene. Somehow it didn't appear that this was the original. I felt that more land was needed to the right and below to make the picture settled and allow one to wander forward in the scene unimpaired by such doubts.

Seeing the larger original is indeed gratifying.

025s.jpg

It's, IMHO, a far better presentation. It allows easy interpretation that there are likely two groups of climbers and the new group has just arrived. That extra touch given back to the picture of the laces being tied up is priceless. Everything now works. We can relate to the first group of hikers. They are now totally absorbed in the landscape scene before them. The new group are still dealing with "arriving" but are looking forward to their reward of just looking beyond to the beauty and majesty of the place.

So now we have the entire story!

Wonderful!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Thanks. What you say makes perfect sense.

And now for something completely different :)

Background info:
For over 10 years I've had a small, hard lump between the shoulder blades. No problems. Last week it got several times larger and started to hurt. Considering its size and shape and the fact that it hurt when I squeezed it I began to wonder if a vital part of my gentleman's equipment had migrated, but a quick head count confirmed that all was well in that department.
Today I had it removed at the surgery, and an hour ago the anaesthetic wore off. I counteracted the discomfort with a couple of glasses of my father's day present (Balvenie Signature single malt).
Since then I've constructed this rather odd panorama, in which the photographer moves to incorporate views along two different valleys, Ennerdale on the left and Buttermere on the right. The common factor is the central ridge of Haystacks, High Crag and High Stile. No real effort to make a perfect stitch, just interested in what it would look like.

Does it make sense to anyone, or shall I regret it in the morning?

2-panorama.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

Thanks. What you say makes perfect sense.

And now for something completely different :)

Since then I've constructed this rather odd panorama, in which the photographer moves to incorporate views along two different valleys, Ennerdale on the left and Buttermere on the right. The common factor is the central ridge of Haystacks, High Crag and High Stile. No real effort to make a perfect stitch, just interested in what it would look like.

2-panorama.jpg

Yes, Stuart,

You are right, this is a great idea and a mistake in execution. The act of repeating people should create a pattern that pays of in some way. Here there's no extra meaning, insight or prettiness, just clutter. It's a tough color palette of water-starved greens and pale straw-yellow through which this picture has to reach out and grab us. One HMS post office box red outfit is almost too muc,h but this has one too many! The synthetic green of the packs should not be seen! Make them grey. The figures are just enough then to tell a story but the story needs to be directed towards the valleys and hills ahead.

All the characters to the left should scarper, vanish, skidaddle and disappear! Re-make the ground to be unlike where the folk in the distance on the right are sitting. Work on the grass to make it sharp and join both sides.

Then optimize the picture!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

I'm always amazed at how you manage to find some positives.

But yes, it was a mistake. It had to be done, but won't be repeated.

Regards,

Stuart