• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cultural and religious symbols, edifices and celebrations!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The tapestry of human cultures is embroidered by many faiths with magnificent buildings, art, ceremonies and exceptional characters.

Here I ask you to share favorite inages you have made in own customs, explorations and travels!

A baptism, perhaps, maybe a barmitzva or Buddhist monks in saffron! Please find those treasures and share!

Asher

Antonio Correia

i-z2GJZFb-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

That was a fast response and you set a high bar. Is that building covered in gold! Wow, it is indeed!

..."a symbol of brotherhood and humanity" and a Sikh edifice!

A wonder of the world!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

These are so appreciated. Exactly what I hoped for.

Let's have more and "celebrate the rich embroidery that heritage gives us, as a buffer perhaps to the hard facts of life that even the finest silk has flaws and sometimes moth larvae too!"

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am not in the mood to post one of the many churches and temples I photographed, so I offer this.

You said "celebrations", didn't you? The 2017 edition of this celebration will debut next Saturday.

Asher Kelman

I am not in the mood to post one of the many churches and temples I photographed, so I offer this.

You said "celebrations", didn't you? The 2017 edition of this celebration will debut next Saturday.

This is exciting, Jerome. I can't wait to see more! Perhaps sports and supporting the "Redsox", the "Lakers" or "Manchester United" is the same sort of cultural loyalty as we find to memic delivery of religious or political following.

In any case, what you have set us up for seems to be some great celebration and pure fun! But we Ploughing through September and you are, after all, in Munich so I have great expectations! ?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Not as magnificent as some of the works we see, but lovely nevertheless:

ASEC_SC_F12998C1R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Sign at All Saints' Episcopal Church, Weatherford, Texas, USA, 2009

Now, the irony is that this is not an Episcopal church (with a capital "E"); that is, it is not part of The Episcopal Church, which is of course the manifestation of The Anglican Church in the United States.

Why? Because in 2008 this parish church, with many of the other parish churches in The Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth (Texas), detached from The Episcopal Church and affiliated instead with the Anglican Church of the Southern Cone, the manifestation of The Anglican Communion in the southern part of South America.

The "reasons" for this are beyond the scope of this note, but essentially this action was propelled by a camp that believed that the Episcopal Church overall had "broken away from the guidance of the Bible." As just one example, The Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire had elected as their bishop an open homosexual, which, as was required by the national church "bylaws", had been ratified by the requisite number of Episcopal dioceses across the U.S. Is nothing sacred (we might add, "for God's sake")?

So how does The Episcopal Church allow this parish church to advertise itself as "All Saints' Episcopal Church"? Well, as justification, the camp that led the secession points out that this church is still part of an organization led by a bishop (not a bishop of The Episcopal Church, of course, but a bishop nevertheless), and that "episcopal" means "led by a bishop". And of course The Episcopal Church had never, for example, applied for trademark registration for the name "Episcopal Church". (I mean, "who would have ever thought. . .") And the matter is still in litigation.

But it's a helluva nice sign (for God's sake).

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Castlerigg Stone Circle​

Nobody really knows why such stone circles were constructed 5000 years ago by stone-age man, but an element of ritual must surely have been involved. Whatever the reason, they certainly chose a nice spot!

IMG_1444.jpg

Asher Kelman

Castlerigg Stone Circle​

Nobody really knows why such stone circles were constructed 5000 years ago by stone-age man, but an element of ritual must surely have been involved. Whatever the reason, they certainly chose a nice spot!

IMG_1444.jpg

Stuart,

I wonder whether you have taken macros of the stone surface. At Stone Henge, there are graffiti chipping of ancient arrows and axe heads!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Saint with fish grill and wag and person looking at a black and white photograph where people probably, waiting for food...

i-jQbjM5L-X3.jpg

Last edited: