• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

wedding pics... dare I share

Thought I'd share some of my favorite shots from a wedding I did. The B&W's I did quite a bit of work on 'em to get them to where they are. The color one I added a layer set to 'screen' and lowered the opacity ... and I liked the resulting bright contrast that gave.

However I would appreciate any critique you have for me on these shots.

zoom=proportionalnoupsize

Thanks in advance for your comments

~trudy

Last edited:
so do I need to post the technical stuff to get feedback?.... just wondering how this forum works and the unspoken (or spoken) rules :)

on the kissing shot:

aperture 5.6 (4.97)

shutter speed 1/3200 sec (11.64)

iso 1600

on the one with quoted text added:

aperture 7.1 (5.66)

shutter speed 1/4000 sec. (11.97)

iso 1600

the walking shot in color:

aperture 8.0 (6.00)

shutter speed 1/250 sec (7.97)

iso 200

Thank you for any comments you can give, I know it takes time to do so... I would like to know how these are viewed through others eyes and would appreciate even the simplest of replies

~trudy

Rachel Foster

Trudy, it's more a case of folks being overwhelmed. I'll be pleased to look at these more carefully later. Hopefully, you'll get feedback from some of the good photographers here, too.

oh, yes I can totally relate to the 'overwhelmed' I know that giving feedback takes time for the giver and sometimes we just can't give that much of ourselves.... I hope I didn't seem whiny. I just want to be sure that I am seeing these shots in an un-biased way.... and could really use the critique whenever someone has the time to spare.

Rachel Foster

There is some question as to whether or not my monitors are correctly calibrated. These look overly bright to me, but that's probably on my end. That makes it hard for me to comment. That, plus wedding photography rarely excites me.

They certainly look like what one would expect to find from a wedding shoot, though. I imagine your clients were happy?

Don't be discouraged by lack of commentary on your images. Commentary is down right now since everyone seems overly busy. I'll comment whenever I can but I'm very new to photography, so bear that in mind. Of course, you're welcome to comment on anything I post, as well, and criticism is always welcome.

Ivan Garcia

Ok... I'll take the bait.
If I were the groom and you presented me with any of the above shots, I would be disappointed...and very angry.

I don't really want to go deeper in to the technical side of why I don't like these shots... look at a professional Wedding photography site you will soon get the picture (pun intended).

A wedding is a precious event, which to some (and I include my 20 year and counting marriage here) is a once in a life time occurrence. There is no room for mistakes, and so, if the pictures you show here are the best you can muster, I am afraid you would not have been contracted to photograph my wedding. I hope the people in your pictures are very forgiving friends, I would hate to think they were paying clients.

I know that my words may be a bit harsh, but I have your well being at heart here... and want to put an end to any delusions well meaning , but misguided people may have put on your mind. More practice is needed before you reach the level of professionalism required to engage a wedding commission. Of course this is just my opinion. Peoples millage may vary.

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
One of the hardest

Wedding are very hard to photograph - lots of activity in multiple places going on at the same time. Unlike a studio or even street photography, there is a requirement of what shots must be taken.

Then you have uncontrollable light. From a church or synagogue, to an officient who tells you absolutely no flash allowed, from the sun be it high noon or even on the water at sunset where the sun give you grief and blows out your whites. You have the contrast of the black tuxedos against a white dress. Oh to adjust the white balance to be perfect. You could have the bride and groom posed under a tree in dappled light that can drive you up a wall. All the time you need to make your images something to be cherished forever.

Talk about challenge. In any case, these for a first try are a bit to contrasty for my taste. By the exif data you provided, I think you need to work on camera settings - your ISO is way too high for the apeture and shutter speed to get the images to be clear and noise free. They are overexposed washing out the highlights and detail. I am sure the bride and groom will be happy because they do reflect some of the emotion of they day - and that is what it is about at the end.

Ok... I'll take the bait.
If I were the groom and you presented me with any of the above shots, I would be disappointed...and very angry.

... There is no room for mistakes, and so, if the pictures you show here are the best you can muster, I am afraid you would not have been contracted to photograph my wedding. I hope the people in your pictures are very forgiving friends, I would hate to think they were paying clients.

I know that my words may be a bit harsh, but I have your well being at heart here... and want to put an end to any delusions well meaning , but misguided people may have put on your mind. More practice is needed before you reach the level of professionalism required to engage a wedding commission....

Ivan,

Thank you for you comments, I truly do appreciate all you said. Although, I am curious as to why you sited only the groom being disappointed and angry?

I agree that I need more practice for wedding photography and right now making that a niche for me is not even on my radar at this point. But nonetheless I did agree to do this wedding for my close friend, and will likely do more weddings for close friends and family if they request it. So it is worth it for me to truly improve in this area of photography. I have also fully disclosed to my friends and family were I am as a photographer and if they still want me to do the job for them then I will. As to date I have had 3 request and 2 that still wanted me to do the job for them.

Those were only a sample, weren't they?

Yes these are only a sampling, yet at the same time they are my favorites from the day and are a good example of how I post process.

....Talk about challenge. In any case, these for a first try are a bit to contrasty for my taste. By the exif data you provided, I think you need to work on camera settings - your ISO is way too high for the apeture and shutter speed to get the images to be clear and noise free. They are overexposed washing out the highlights and detail. I am sure the bride and groom will be happy because they do reflect some of the emotion of they day - and that is what it is about at the end.

Kathy,
Thank you for you directions on settings I will work on that!

~trudy

Ivan Garcia

Hi Trudy.
Thank you for taking my comments the way they were intended.
I concur with Kathy on the blown highlights and clipped shadows, is just hard to expose for weddings.
I would also advise you as to your location choices the last picture is the best of the three you posted ( still has blown highlights), But the framing is not quiet there, and the lamp post is a huge distraction, also the aperture is way too small. Aperture is a very powerful tool for the photographer to create mood, both your pathway images could have benefited from a larger aperture to control DOF.
Timing is paramount for a successful image... you first path shot has a bush growing out of the groom's head. Also, I would have chosen a lower POV (say waist high)and a larger aperture for an intimate look.

I understand your friends still want you to take the pictures for their wedding, and is great that they are so generous.
If they were my friends, I would thank them for their support but I would insist on hiring a pro (choose carefully, there are lots of cowboys in the industry).
This request will have two purposes.
1- your friends will end up with professionally taken shots.
2- you will watch a pro at work (assuming is a real pro), giving you the opportunity to learn how is done.
As to why I concentrated on the groom .. I am a man .. I can't comment on what the bride may say
;)

Rachel Foster

I refuse to shoot weddings, at least at this point. I'll shoot as a "backup artsy" photographer, but I can't do the main thing.