• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I just sold my first photo

I sold a photograph I had that was taken on the fourth of July here in FL. The photo was created from two photographs that were taken handheld stitched together with a manual focus in manual mode with a D300 with a ZF 35mm lens.

2981900778_d24d6d72a0_o.jpg

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Welcome to OPF

I sold a photograph I had that was taken on the fourth of July here in FL. The photo was created from two photographs that were taken handheld stitched together with a manual focus in manual mode with a D300 with a ZF 35mm lens.
Hi Peter,

A very warm welcome to OPF. I am very glad to read that you have sold your first photo. It must be exhilarating, is it not? So to whom did you sell it if I may ask? The property owners or a publication?

I am looking forward to be chatting with you...

Cheers,

PS: Do you want us to give C&C on this picture? The normal rule here is that C&C is wanted unless otherwise stated. Also, please post it a bit smaller next time. For panorama's something around 1280 pixels wide would be the limit.

Cem,

Thanks for your kind words and warm welcome. I would be most appreciative of any words of advice or constructive criticism that you or anyone had to offer. I was going for a pictorialism approach with this photo. A person saw the photograph on facebook and wrote me about it. It was the first time anyone has wanted to buy a print of my work. I resized the photo and resubmitted a new link so it is smaller. Thanks for the heads up about the width limit. :)

Congratulations Peter! The image really does evoke Orlando for me - the architecture, the water, the sky color, and the crowd of folks on the lake bank waiting for the fireworks makes this photograph the equivalent of the thousand words I'd use to describe that area :)

-Colleen

Thanks Colleen,

I had to stop and wonder, "How did she know I was in Orlando?" Until I realized it is in our profiles! I had never really considered selling any of my work prior to this so my brain is kinda reeling from the leap of concept so to speak. I figured best to get some professional opinions on what I am doing after lurking here for a few months. I am glad you liked it though.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Congratulations Peter, and welcome.

That's a nice painterly panorama. It's a kick to sell your first image, isn't it?! Just like your first love/dog/car, you'll never forget it.

Charlotte Thompson

Beautiful

what I love most is the nice use of purple and blue combos's exquistely rendered! a fairy land me thinks-
and congrats!

Charlotte-

I had to stop and wonder, "How did she know I was in Orlando?" Until I realized it is in our profiles!

Well to be honest I just looked at the picture and saw Orlando (my folks lived out in Niceville near Ft. Walton Beach so I've seen quite a bit of Florida). Boy would I have felt dumb if it was a picture of somewhere else :)

-Colleen

Charlotte,

Thanks. I was a bit concerned that pushing the purples might not translate as well in web viewing. I had to convert from a Prophoto color space to a srgb one and then hope for the best. So very happy to hear it translated well!

You aren't joking there Ken. I am sure I was sitting at the screen reading the message and turning into a slack jawed goofball if anyone saw me. It felt like a total looney tunes moment to me. An anvil dropping sound effects for my jaw hitting the desk would have fit well in my mind.

Colleen,

I am still surprised at the vastness of FL. Bit perplexed by the flatness from time to time having grown up in Michigan I must admit too! I want to get down to Miami some time over a weekend and try out some HDR photography with that city.