• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shadows & Cranes Version 2.0

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
OK. Now I have the right photo!

Will_Thompson_C_2008_256A7162.jpg

Have fun with this all!

Hey will, nice to see you. I like your image. The challenge would be not to have just one where we could think that it was product of chance encounter of factors and forms but where we could see that you can reproduce it consistently. You could start with a series of 5 and see how it goes, like a case study body of work.

take care man

Alain Briot

pro member
Have you tried a wider opening to get some bokeh on the brick wall? I'm not sure we need detail on the wall, although I have to agree that it fosters the "suburban" message of your image.

You could continue the series with some pink plastic flamingos. A little more cliche I agree but a proven best seller as well in case you want to go commercial with this ;-)

Ivan Garcia

Am I missing something? ...The image leaves me cold... is a joke right?
I can't see any use for the image other than a personal study... but hey, I don't like Picasso either... so go figure.

If you enlarge it to about 2meters high, put it in a West Chelsea gallery with similar images you could ask $6k for a short series print... the more I see it the more I like it, but... I do like Picasso...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
If you enlarge it to about 2meters high, put it in a West Chelsea gallery with similar images you could ask $6k for a short series print... the more I see it the more I like it, but... I do like Picasso...

Well, Will will need first a release for the duck (is it a duck?) sculptor!

Ivan Garcia

An image should be good at any size, I don't see how blowing the image to 2 meters would improve the fact I just don't see it as art, much less value it at $6K... But he world is full of gullible people, go get them.
As for Picasso... it takes all shorts to make the world.

Alain Briot

pro member
Well, Will will need first a release for the duck (is it a duck?) sculptor!

Not necessarily. If the photographer owns the "art" then it is simply taking a photo of one's private belongings. No release necessary. In other words, buy it then shoot it. Saves a lot of paperwork!

Doug Earle

Ok, I think I see what you might be going for, but here's how I'd reshoot it.

First, angle of view is wrong. Kneel down to crane level or slightly above. DONT Stand.

Second, I like the art deco coloration of the plant to the right, but you amputated the leaves. Crop further to the right to include the leaf tips at the edge of the right frame.

Finally, the shadow is overexposed. Needs to be darker in contrast to the crane. You might have to balance the art deco look with contrast, or do some good photoshopping to get the contrast desired.

Ivan Garcia

Not necessarily. If the photographer owns the "art" then it is simply taking a photo of one's private belongings. No release necessary. In other words, buy it then shoot it. Saves a lot of paperwork!

Oh great Alain.
I think you would be rather upset if someone bought your art, photographed it, and proceeded to sell it without your permision. But hey, they own the art, so no need for a release signature, and no copyright infringement neither ...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shame on the neighborhood!

I'm concerned that this ugly incident occurred during daylight in public where children could view the goings on! I can disclose to you that the photograph was taken in a mostly decent, God-fearing, blue collar neighborhood, with no attempt at putting up a privacy screen. It appears that the shadow crane is trying to have its way with the real fake bird which is helpless and cannot fly away If I'm not entirely mistaken, the former is attempting to mount the latter. The shadow bird is not only indecent but also foolish and delusional.

Ivan, making the shadow darker or lighter does not alter the inherent indecency of the entire matter!

Asher

P.S. A second issue is that there she is one of two rare fake cranes seen as partners and this does not bode well for the neighborhood. For sure, house values will drop, squatters will move in and there goes the economy again.

I think that if you are creating art you can shoot the work of someone and include it in your piece, what you sell is an original image, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the angle of the photo being "wrong", I don't agree. Wrong does not exist but in the intentions of the artist that is creating the art. Will intention -for example- may be to go against the rule of thirds that states that the human perception works by examining the intersection of imaginary lines dividing the image in thirds intentionally provoking the "illusion" of the image to be "wrong" and achieving the effect of composition shock from educated photographers. This effect is precisely what artists have -among other- pursue from the time of cave painters.

The notion of a piece of one inch as opposed to 2 meters does have relevance I think, but that could be an entire different topic. I was just thinking about all the images I see in New York that are life size or larger and how different it is to encounter them in a large room as opposed (apology for using the expression again) as viewing the image here. on line.

Alain Briot

pro member
Oh great Alain.
I think you would be rather upset if someone bought your art, photographed it, and proceeded to sell it without your permision. But hey, they own the art, so no need for a release signature, and no copyright infringement neither ...

What you describe is a copie conforme, or a fake, as you prefer to put it. That would be infringement of my copyright.

However there's nothing I could do if someone took a photo of their living room with one of my images displayed on their wall and sold this image of their living room as art. They own my work, the room, the house, the whole bit. Doing so is perfectly legal. Leonardo points to the same in his post.