• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sweet Dark Kitty

Charlotte Thompson

Something a bit new- My cat and I heavily shadowed him and did a soft focus also
this is for a dramatic effect for an animal portrait- I really like the effects- it has such a sweet little darkness to him
but u can see his face is sweet as sugar-I am thinking it could be cropped from the bottom to mid chest for better effect- ok I did the crop...so which works better if any-

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0155-1.jpg

Charlotte,

This is an interesting treatment of a lovable subject. The effect is almost Ortonesque. The fur of the ear at the left side of the frame is less sharp than the fur on the other side. The result is a slight lack of symmetry that doesn't appear to be related to dof. Just an observation, and probably insignificant with regards to your intentions.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Something a bit new- My cat and I heavily shadowed him and did a soft focus also
this is for a dramatic effect for an animal portrait- I really like the effects- it has such a sweet little darkness to him

DSC_0155.jpg
Congratulations Charlotte,

This asymmetry remarkably jogs the brain. Yes it's unusual. It drives me away from the ears to the face or else I'll get disorientated. This makes the face stronger. The composition is simple and my immediate impression is that this is pleasing. Maybe next time I'll tell you what's wrong, LOL, but right now I like it!

Asher

Just one parting thought. The blackness around the cat could be expanded considerably to create the world for the cat and its reflection. Crop-not!

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
I like the first photo the most, but would crop just below the white ruff on his chest. The soft focus has a Keith Carter sort of feel to it.

Charlotte Thompson

Tom

thank you- I did the off look for the very reason of an "off symmetry look" in that I wanted to make a plain kitty "interesting kitty" something beyond how you would see a cat-

Asher
well ok then! thank you! Your crit is exactly what I wanted to show "personality in an ordinary cat" I had it in my mind while I took the shot "now what can I do to make this ordinary cat look extraordinary" some personality! so this is what I came up with- and you say No Crop but more space-I will take all that in consideration as I think you are correct! for the next cat which is a cross Siamese-

Doug

thanks for coming in - I am going to take this shot and make a big ole' kitty picture
I am just learning
to use the soft focus and I do like the effect-I am unsure about the crop as yet I think it works both ways- thanks again!