• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Quadricopter from France

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ces_ardrone00main.jpg

This is the iphone and ipad app you must have if you want to totally impress your kids or take pictures from the air. This amazing craft is controlled as any game by tilting and moving the iphone! It's fitted with accelerometers, gyros and fast cameras so t can look after itself and land even when out of contact. I'd like to have one for photography. 15 minutes of flying time might decrease with the load of a digicam but it does sound like fun. More info and video here from engadget.com

Asher

Yes, this does open up some possibilities. I wonder how long it will be before it is scaled up to where it can carry a full frame dslr and lens. Pricing will be interesting as well.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Yes, this does open up some possibilities. I wonder how long it will be before it is scaled up to where it can carry a full frame dslr and lens. Pricing will be interesting as well.

Long time ago, Tom.

But you don't really need a big slr. Video is the most common use for these things. You have to use a camera that's capable of transmitting a live image back to the controller. Otherwise how would you know what you're shooting?

Asher Kelman

I think the very special thing is the design to be an iphone app. Likely they have outsourced production so it will be far less expensive than existing solutions. The thing, called the Parrot, seems really able to lock on to a ground target! I think it's a wonderful and dangerous design.

Asher

Ha - unbelievable!

I see the room was draped with safety netting. I have a hunch this might provide a clue as to its price.

Asher Kelman

Too bad they only designed it for the iphones and the ipad.
it would be a blast to have to take aerial photos.
Cody,

I think that's the idea! One is just saving on the price of the controller. One can also control the camera from the ipad/iphone!

Asher

Asher,

It seems like with all the touch screen phones coming out they could of made it friendly for different models of phones.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

It seems like with all the touch screen phones coming out they could of made it friendly for different models of phones.
This thing can be steered by just tilting the ipad/iphone so it's pretty nice. I like the idea of using velcro on the more aggressive research machine to have it perch at different places in the room! What an easy way to place a camera high above a stage!

Asher