• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographs as "offspring"!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Think of each work of art as an attempt to export something wonderful
from our minds to a physical form which evokes emotions and thought.
Once out there, our darlings have to breathe and fend for themselves!​

So how to we transform thoughts to something physical?

I find it useful to consider each art picture as "offspring". There's an act of intercourse and conception between the "parents". These are your mind and the camera. Raising and schooling the infant to shape it's future, all the "processing".

So the mind sets the time, position of camera, and the camera has it's inherent parameters as its DNA too. Now we have a picture! What will happen to it? Well it's like any of your children. You have hopes that he or she can command respect and love, but soon, they are on their own!

Few will climb Everest, get a knighthood or discover a cure for cancer! A few will turn up in sleazy places and several more might end up treasured as leaders for others to follow.

Do you have a metaphor that is more apt for photographic art?

Asher

Michaela Taylor

Well I don't know about better lol but as I was an artist long before I was a photographer I think of photography in terms of painting with light. You have your canvas - the film or sensor, you have your paints or pastels - your colour settings and white balance, you have your brushes - your aperture and shutter settings and with all of these thing you 'paint' the image onto your canvas and get a photo and how it comes out depends on what medium (settings) you have used. :)

Marc Lamontagne

Hello,newb here, don't seem to get responses to my threads, so will not say too much for now, but Asher your topic stuck out like a providential thumb hitching a ride to freedom in a desert of silent threads. Same response as Michaela, don't know about better...every metaphor has its passenger. But I carried around a tattered set of paintings for a decade. They are lost. So just saying topic and metaphor was interesting to me. Would like to discuss some meanings for art for that matter. Anyone interested?

Asher Kelman

Hello,newb here, don't seem to get responses to my threads, so will not say too much for now, but Asher your topic stuck out like a providential thumb hitching a ride to freedom in a desert of silent threads. Same response as Michaela, don't know about better...every metaphor has its passenger. But I carried around a tattered set of paintings for a decade. They are lost. So just saying topic and metaphor was interesting to me. Would like to discuss some meanings for art for that matter. Anyone interested?

I understand the feelings of carrying around a bundle of art that we treasure but have not as yet launched to the public consciousness. It’s a huge challenge.

3 years ago I embarked on a new sculpture far larger than the art competition expected and then had no home. I have struggled through maizes of offialdom that even Frank Jafka never was awarecof!

What does one do with a 6.5 ton steel sculpture that stands 33 ft high?

Well now I have two major Cities showing official interest. In artistic endeavors one has to first believe in the viability and worth of the project and be able to survive financially and emotionally until the work earns its place of love in its new location.

So it all must start with creating expressions which cause an eruption of sentiments when you the artist experience its presence. From then on, it’s a lonely act of faith to step out where there appears no stone to try to advance your new work.

Asher

James Lemon

Think of each work of art as an attempt to export something wonderful
from our minds to a physical form which evokes emotions and thought.
Once out there, our darlings have to breathe and fend for themselves!​

So how to we transform thoughts to something physical?

I find it useful to consider each art picture as "offspring". There's an act of intercourse and conception between the "parents". These are your mind and the camera. Raising and schooling the infant to shape it's future, all the "processing".

So the mind sets the time, position of camera, and the camera has it's inherent parameters as its DNA too. Now we have a picture! What will happen to it? Well it's like any of your children. You have hopes that he or she can command respect and love, but soon, they are on their own!

Few will climb Everest, get a knighthood or discover a cure for cancer! A few will turn up in sleazy places and several more might end up treasured as leaders for others to follow.

Do you have a metaphor that is more apt for photographic art?

Asher

Asher

I don't have any children but if I ever do I would like three of them... one of each.

It would be paramount in my opinion that a parent's duty is to raise their children to be ,sensitive,caring, feeling, responsible adults.

Best, regards

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

I don't have any children but if I ever do I would like three of them... one of each.

It would be paramount in my opinion that a parent's duty is to raise their children to be ,sensitive,caring, feeling, responsible adults.

Best, regards

James

That’s the goal, James, but we do not have full control of the sunset light nor a child’s innate personality.

One cannot go to a prison yard where there’s racism, ranks and bullying and provide a photograph of harmony. Sometime a person is simply born with limited ability to be trained to be civilized, friendly, appreciative, considerate and trustworthy.

But all these character types are in reserve in case one particular set of traits is useful in a flood, Hurricane or invasion of an enemy.

In art, we have to learn to design creations within the boundaries of our capabilities. The same in teaching children. At the very least one prays that our kids will grow up whole and self supporting and not mean.

Asher