• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Autumn Color: Leaves, Landscapes and Urban Surprises!

Critique Desired: Late Autumn Leaves

Light snow is in the forecast for tomorrow. After the rain and fog of the last few days, this will be a welcome change of pace. Nonetheless, last season's leaves still have some spunk.

119732099.jpg

As Accoutrement​

119369859.jpg

As Subject​

Autumn leaves are usually photographed on the vine. The leaves here are just shy of compost, but still worthy of notice. Or maybe not. All thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Light snow is in the forecast for tomorrow. After the rain and fog of the last few days, this will be a welcome change of pace. Nonetheless, last season's leaves still have some spunk.

119732099.jpg

Tom Robbins: As Accoutrement

Tom,

Have you thought about the divergent verticals? Is this to open up the passageway more? Also you've not sharpened the edges or otherwise worked on this. Your thoughts in the decision-making?

119369859.jpg

Tom Robbins: Leaves - As Subject

By contrast, this image is immediately obvious and easy to comprehend.

Well which is better. Frankly, the first because I can bring more of my own baggage as I explore this tiny world offered to us. It's more open ended and less rigidly defined.

Together, they work well.

Asher

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Tom

I like both of these but prefer No 2, the muted colours work well, as does the position of the leaf, just slipping, passing away into the water.....

I think No 1 would benefit from a tad cropping from the top, just an idea.....

Both very nice, I've really enjoyed Autumn this year, thank you for sharing these.

janet Smith

pro member
Critique Desired: Late Autumn Leaves

It's unlikely I'll get any more Autumn colour shots now, so here are a few more of my Autumn shots, let me know what you think please.....

IMG_6054A1.jpg

IMG_6093v2clean.jpg

IMG_5837B.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Asher Kelman

img5001h.jpg

Not sure about the composition though ? :)

Don,

This and waterfalls are so hard to compose! Why? I guess there's unlimited beauty and interest in all directions, a diffuseness of attention demanding elements. This is where Ansel Adams spent hours surveying, considering and returning before he released the shutter and exposed the film. Because our current cameras allow us to take photographs in a split moment, we don't invest as much today in the struggling to compose on site. However, we have a great tool, the monitor screen, to enable us to delay these complex decisions until later.

One way to approach this is to make different compositions. The top half holds well together and also either the left side or the right side.

Asher.

Jerome Marot

Autumn in the city

I put this in this section, although it is not really a "landscape". But I am not really sure which section is relevant...

Asher Kelman

I put this in this section, although it is not really a "landscape". But I am not really sure which section is relevant...

Jerome Marot: Autumn in the City

Jerome,

You have done a great job in finding this remarkable set of natural colors, a rich Bergundy and a sunset Sienna, paired so naturally together in a most wonderful urban autumn scene, the richest can remember; kudos!

Asher

I do have a minor reservation and suggestion before making a massive and totally engaging wall print. The gaps in both upper corners letting the bright sky pull the eye up are distracting. With the top 1.5 cm removed, the picture seems far more powerful.

Asher Kelman

This thread is an assemblage from many different far older threads of some of the most interesting images of fall colors. These are added to the current new posts of 2011. If you prefer your older picture not be re-shown here, then let me know. I'll be writing to all concerned to check you are all comfortable in being included in this collection. Please don't comment on that in the thread, just by PM.

The original thread will be listed shortly so folk can see more of the discussions of individual images. Meanwhile this thread will evolve as it gets refined.

Thanks for participating and allowing us some room for gathering collections of your fine work for show like this! It helps us remember the jewels of previous times!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

img49902.jpg

Asher ,I think this one I took really has color and offers a better composition then my photo of the red and yellow leaves intertwined with branches a few posts back :)

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

I do have a minor reservation and suggestion before making a massive and totally engaging wall print. The gaps in both upper corners letting the bright sky pull the eye up are distracting. With the top 1.5 cm removed, the picture seems far more powerful.

Thank you for your comment and for having put the picture where it belongs. I tried your suggestion, but I find the shape of the tree better balanced without the crop and I find that the bits of blue which show behind the top of the tree increase the color effect. I agree that the overexposed top left building should have been avoided, I'll see if I can re-do that picture this year.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thank you for your comment and for having put the picture where it belongs. I tried your suggestion, but I find the shape of the tree better balanced without the crop and I find that the bits of blue which show behind the top of the tree increase the color effect. I agree that the overexposed top left building should have been avoided, I'll see if I can re-do that picture this year.
Jerome, I like this photo and very creative use of levels in the brilliant color ranges.
Don

Asher Kelman

Asher ,I think this one I took really has color and offers a better composition then my photo of the red and yellow leaves intertwined with branches a few posts back :)

img49902.jpg

Don,

Now this is color, popping like super duper Velvia!

The color of leaves depends on a lot of climate characteristics during the actual growing season and then the temp just brings it all out. It's difficult to reproduce such richness just by planting trees in California and watering them! In a way, this is like nature is processing film exposed during spring and summer! Print this on Cibachrome! It will be so popular!

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

img49902.jpg

Don,

Now this is color, popping like super duper Velvia!

The color of leaves depends on a lot of climate characteristics during the actual growing season and then the temp just brings it all out. It's difficult to reproduce such richness just by planting trees in California and watering them! In a way, this is like nature is processing film exposed during spring and summer! Print this on Cibachrome! It will be so popular!

Asher
Asher, your kind words really mean a lot to me and I do this as a hobby.

Funny, I did this in LR 3.5 and the Adobe Standard could not match the LR Canon landscape for kicking up the saturation and had a more yellowish /orange color then the more brighter tone that the LR Canon landscape picture profile produced. I thought you would find this interesting.
Don

img49905.jpg