• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Autumn

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here we treasure glimpses of autumn in those relatively scarce trees that lose leaves!

IMG_1316_2EditedCS5_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Leaves I brought home!

iPhone 3

Hope we can share the splashes of reds, siennas and gold from all over! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael Nagel;13560[This is one of the said:
.... four I haven't posted yet (I hope so):

Lakeside:

Michael,

Pictures with people relaxing and meandering by the water is a wonderful way to show autumn colors!

Asher

Asher Kelman

One more...Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

You've caught the process of shedding of leaves where the apex of the tree is still packed with color and the lowermost branches are sparse. It needs no further work and is satisfying and beautiful just as you have made it.

You didn't ask for suggestions to alter its presentation, but still allow me to offer some of my ideas, as if I had been fortunate enough to have been there next to you at that propitious time. :)

The tree is still so rich and well drawn and the foreground has geometrical interest, that leaves the sky less important. I'd weigh chopping off half of the dark sky above the tree to get a stronger balance of the two greatest features, (and incidentally make the understated building on the left more evident). Alternatively, if the sky must be kept, I'd consider sacrificing the foreground from 0.75 cm below the diagonal junction on the lower right. Just my way of looking at things.

Asher

Steve Robinson

I took this in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. Except for the aspens turning yellow there are no other trees that turn color and the rest are very green pines. Lots of building cumulus clouds behind me allowed some occasional sunlight to highlight this tree.

_K228020-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

I took this in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. Except for the aspens turning yellow there are no other trees that turn color and the rest are very green pines. Lots of building cumulus clouds behind me allowed some occasional sunlight to highlight this tree.

_K228020-1.jpg

Steve,

One would think from this single picture that you only chose a small arc of a great vista of fall color. It's unexpected that you had to select out this from the view of green pines!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here we have to count all the leaves we see as our gift of autumn color, even if they're in the gutter or scattered on street lawns. Soon the Mexican gardeners will efficiently remove them and everything will be pristine! Fortunately, there must be a few gardeners out with colds or else out of town, LOL!

_MG_9091.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Street Leaves #1

_MG_9095.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Street Leaves #2

_MG_9120.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Street Leaves #3

_MG_9101.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Street Leaves #4

_MG_9098.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autumn Street Leaves #5

I also now have to withstand the stares of disapproval of my year old grandson is convinced that I'm harming nature when I take a leaf back with me to photograph! They could just teach the little tots global warming and stop there, but no, they must turn my grandchild against me!!!

Asher

Asher Kelman

There's a lot of turnover in the fruit ball. Stuff gets added, replaced and leaves emptied from my pockets end up in that corner of the kitchen!

_MG_1064 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autum Fruit & Leaves!

Canon 5DII 24-105 L IS

Something different! Yes, that leaf is weird and shiny. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Exploring the tones and textures:

_MG_1064_BW.jpg

Asher Kelman: Autum Fruit & Leaves!

Monochrome

Asher

Last edited:

Valentin Arfire

hello

Very nice pictures

Thank you all for sharing, especially since it passed through my mind to post something and after finding nothing giving up.

Special thank you to Asher who initiated the thread. A wonderful idea worthy of attention

The nature is so rich, that I need plenty of courage to begin the approach of a season.
Limited in pixels and bits, there is way much more than my humble impressions when it comes to the reality or creation - whatever I prefer.

What is suggestive in a picture of autumn imo
-water in different forms - fog, vapor, liquid and even frost,
-decaying vegetation and at the same time the large variable of greens that still occupies the parks and hills
-fruits - whether glittery like those in the supermarket magazine or dusty, covered in syrup and attracting dizzy bees
-a wonderful light - after the rain the air is cleaner so the colors may be more saturated (I will never forget the light quality I found once or two times in Germany - both times after the rain with a glowing sun)
-cold - as a premonition to the coming winter so that everybody should prepare so the body gets tense, I need a different diet with more calories - chocolate
-school with the joy to meet all the classmates and colleagues, games, lessons
-change in behavior and appearance of animals

And so on
much of those are royally presented in the pictures while other are missing.

I look forward in the images that will come and much ideas that will enrich my perspective

Asher Kelman

What is suggestive in a picture of autumn imo
-water in different forms - fog, vapor, liquid and even frost,
-decaying vegetation and at the same time the large variable of greens that still occupies the parks and hills
-fruits - whether glittery like those in the supermarket magazine or dusty, covered in syrup and attracting dizzy bees
-a wonderful light - after the rain the air is cleaner so the colors may be more saturated (I will never forget the light quality I found once or two times in Germany - both times after the rain with a glowing sun)
-cold - as a premonition to the coming winter so that everybody should prepare so the body gets tense, I need a different diet with more calories - chocolate
-school with the joy to meet all the classmates and colleagues, games, lessons
-change in behavior and appearance of animals

And so on
much of those are royally presented in the pictures while other are missing.

I look forward in the images that will come and much ideas that will enrich my perspective

Valentin,

This encouragement to look at autumn in a broader way,, the cold, changes in behaviors, water in different forms and so on are all helpful reminders of the rich choices we have in making pictures.

I'm just working with what is nearby, the leaves and the fruit that appears in a wooden bowl my wife keeps stocked once a week!

Asher

Sam Hames

fallInBrisbane.jpg

Autumn is usually a non event in Brisbane - the only deciduous trees are introduced species. It's rare that there's a major pocket of them. This was taken more than 18 months ago when I happened to live next to a park that had quite a number of them around.

Asher Kelman

George,

You picture has been gnawing away at me. It's cold! fits well with the center of Paris and the old buildings with elevators that keep breaking down.

I'm in a much brighter place. The sun is almost always shining. We have not only the fruit of the summer flowers on the trees serving as food for birds but also the spring buds are already formed and out.

This morning I noticed leaves blowing in the wind a then landing back up on the trees again. I ran out and then realized that tiny yellow birds were feasting on the spiked fruits. I have hated the fruits for years as they are tough and fibrous and just the size to block up my Kreepy Krawly pool vacuum. However, from today onwards, I intend to love theese trees as they bring beauty to my street.

Yellowbirdandspikeyfruit_1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Yellow bird and Spikey Fruit #1

Still, al the color does not hold a candle on Paris, even with bad winter weather! I'll be posting more of these birds, here.

Asher

Robert Watcher

One of my favourites is this wall of an old hydro-electric building in Niagara Falls Canada - covered in the fall leaves of grape vines

12569666844291_E3260981.jpg

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

At first glance it looked like a map of the world in leaves.

Robert,

Yours is intense! Like you're using Velvia. amazing that some leaves look summer fresh still while the others are in splashes of rust, red and yellow.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some leaves get fixed to the ground and are trodden on by everyone passing by. The material of the leaf gets crushed and fragments, partially skeletonizing it!

IMG_0781_crushed_leaf_leaf.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sidewalk Leaf

There's some beauty even in this morbidity!