• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon story.

Jim Galli

I work in the photo lab at a gov't site, and my brother does also across the street at the carpenter shop. He was tasked with cleaning out some storage spaces and came across a box of parts. He called me up and said "I've got a box of parts in plastic bags and they all say Canon on them." "Nikon you say?" "No, Canon." So I said bring em on over whatever it is.

A week goes by and I forget all about it. Today after lunch he shows up with a box about a foot square and drops it on a chair. Curious, I picked up a plastic bag of parts out of the box. Sure enough, it was Canon parts. ITT Cannon. Parts to make plugs for printer cables. Lots of them. My brother raised his eyebrows, "Oh what should I do with them?" "You want me to throw them out?" The bags had a 1981 date. "No, I'll call Don Weber and see if he wants them," I said. Don's our computer builder thingy type that might actually solder a cord together for some reason. I called Don up. "No, we'd never use them, throw them out" he said.

The pins were seperate in little vials. They looked like gold pins to me. How can you tell if metal is gold? I checked on line. If it's gold it will flow out so thin you can see light through it. No other yellow metal will do that. I took a pin over to a steel table and took a ball peen hammer and carefully started squashing it. If flowed out really really thin even with our coarse tools.

Well to shorten this tale up there were 114 of those little vials and each one had 1 gram of gold in it. That's 4.021 ounces and gold earlier today was going down like mad but worth $738. an ounce when I checked. $3000 + or -. I put it in an empty 70mm X 1000 foot film can and took it over to my boss. It's his problem now.