• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

General election day

Doug Kerr

Today is a momentous one for the United States and in fact for the world. Hopefully, with the next 24 hours we will learn who will be the next president of the United States (maybe even the next two).

I just want to say that I am a full believer in the concept that a society gets the kind of government it deserves. We all hope that, over the past months. we have learned something about the candidates for this office. Today, we will learn a lot about "ourselves".

Those of you who are eligible to vote in the American general election, and haven't yet done so, please exercise your precious franchise today. (Carla and I voted over a week ago, under Texas' very convenient early voting policy.)

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Today is a momentous one for the United States and in fact for the world. Hopefully, with the next 24 hours we will learn who will be the next president of the United States (maybe even the next two).

I just want to say that I am a full believer in the concept that a society gets the kind of government it deserves. We all hope that, over the past months. we have learned something about the candidates for this office. Today, we will learn a lot about "ourselves".

Those of you who are eligible to vote in the American general election, and haven't yet done so, please exercise your precious franchise today. (Carla and I voted over a week ago, under Texas' very convenient early voting policy.)

Best regards,

Doug
Hi Doug,

Well said! I wish all the American voters a lot of wisdom, especially since the outcome will affect all of us globally and not just the US of A.

Cheers,

Chad McClarnon

I Voted Blind

_cwm0580-500x334.jpg

Shot these late last night, please forward them on to anyone you know who will be voting today

gallery at:

http://www.cwmphoto.com

Cem_Usakligil

Shot these late last night, please forward them on to anyone you know who will be voting today
Hi Chad,

I have moved your post to this thread where it actually belongs. I would recommend the readers to take a look at this blog of yours wherein you explain the idea behind this shoot.

Cheers,

Gary Ayala

Just a reminder that due to the expected high voter turn-out ... voting has been split ... Tuesday is for Democrats and Wednesday is for Republicans.

(joking - I felt compelled to qualify the remark)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Just a reminder that due to the expected high voter turn-out ... voting has been split ... Tuesday is for Democrats and Wednesday is for Republicans.

(joking - I felt compelled to qualify the remark)

Love this one! made me laugh (loudly) though alone in my office (already evening here…)

Yes VOTE! this will/should be a great day for the entire world…

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Love this one! made me laugh (loudly) though alone in my office (already evening here…)

You may or may not know that actual notices to that effect (but always the other way to, and bogus of course) have in fact been distributed in some parts of the US.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Doug
Thanks for the clarification…

As it was posted it was real fun for me, but done in a wider way and with the intention to influence people (in both ways), that is not funny at all.

I do like humor, I really don't like falsifications…

But, in that particular case, Gary stated: "(joking - I felt compelled to qualify the remark)" so I felt free to laugh!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

But, in that particular case, Gary stated: "(joking - I felt compelled to qualify the remark)" so I felt free to laugh!

Oh, indeed. I just wanted to give you a broader context!

Another great (true) story is about "notices" that were posted advising voters how to overcome certain "problems" with voting machines. The instructions, if interpreted strictly, were in fact "correct", but they were very crafty, such that an easy and likely misunderstanding of them could cause voters to mis-manipulate the interface so as not to cast any vote for president!

Some of these were even posted at polling places by voting authorities, who had gotten sucked in. (This was during the rather extensive "early voting" period we have here in Texas.)

They were of course cast in the language of how the "problem" would affect Democratic voting, so that Republican voters would not pay any attention.

Fortunately, in our county, the authorities posted a clear and unambiguous (and of course party-neutral) notice about the matter.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

A done deal

As of 2008.11.05 0400 GMT, the abc television network declared Barack Obama the apparent winner of the US presidential election.

That network at 0412 GMT reported that Senator John McCain has contacted Senator Obama and conceded the election.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Godspeed, John

Carla and I knew that the election was over when, about three days ago, the John McCain that we long respected and enjoyed (even though we often disagreed with his political positions) broke out of the unrecognizable-shape kamikaze flight suit into which his ulltra-right Republican Party handlers had him strapped and returned to the world a free man.

That's not what caused the outcome we saw tonight - rather, it was probably triggered by its imminence.

We knew that his performance on Saturday Night Live would be one of his best, and it was.

We knew that the poisonous TV commercial tying Barack Obama to the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, the "last 72-hour" doomsday cluster bomb of the Republican campaign, would run only a few times, and it did.

John, we respect so much how you suffered and were tortured while fulfilling your sense of duty to the United States. In 2008. As expected of all prisoners of war, you made every effort to escape. And this time, you succeeded. Welcome back to the outside.

We can imagine John saying to Karl Rove, "No more, Karl, screw you. I'm gonna enjoy the last week of this travesty."

I think a 72 year old man should be allowed to have a little fun at the expense of the pompous among us, and do whatever the hell he wants to so long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. Carla, fortunately, agrees.

And Sarah: thanks for coming out to play.

Best regards,

Doug Kerr

As old as John McCain, and comfortable with that

nicolas claris

Yes You Can

Having heard the news on the radio (earlier than usual!), Marine and I are so happy with the election of Obama, but also with the fair and clever last speech of McCain…

From the old Europe to the New America, I have just three more words:

"Yes You Can"

PS I could write more, but not for now…

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Having heard the news on the radio (earlier than usual!), Marine and I are so happy with the election of Obama, but also with the fair and clever last speech of McCain…

Indeed, it was very nice. Fits in with what I said in my recent message.

From the old Europe to the New America, I have just three more words:

"Yes You Can"

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Gary Ayala

not "Yes You Can" ... but "Yes WE Can"... this world economic crisis has clearly shown that we are one world and as such ... one people.

The world must work together to overcome the international economic crisis, to defeat international terror, to control global pollution and warming and to globally recognize and accept human rights and human dignity.

Yes, We can ...

nicolas claris

not "Yes You Can" ... but "Yes WE Can"... this world economic crisis has clearly shown that we are one world and as such ... one people.

The world must work together to overcome the international economic crisis, to defeat international terror, to control global pollution and warming and to globally recognize and accept human rights and human dignity.

Yes, We can ...

Hi Garry, I do fully agree with you, but it is new that you American (I mean government/administration wants to "work" with the rest of the wordl instead of having imperialism views on it, hence my remark: yes YOU can (now), so, yes WE can!

:-D

Michael Fontana

pro member
Carla and I knew that the election was over when, about three days ago, the John McCain that we long respected and enjoyed (even though we often disagreed with his political positions) broke out of the unrecognizable-shape kamikaze flight suit into which his ulltra-right Republican Party handlers had him strapped and returned to the world a free man.
Best regards,

Doug Kerr

As old as John McCain, and comfortable with that

Hi Doug
that's s quite a analysis, that I wound't read in the news...

Congratulation to the voters of the USA; electing for the first time a afro-american for president means to to leave behind racism, in consequency. Beeing a bit parth of that historic moment fills me with joy.

And yes, god bless Obama; he did well as a newbe, in the party's candidature vs H. Clinton, as well as a candidate for president. I hope he will have the same wisdom and character beeing president; facing today's problems, his new job will require that.

Gary Ayala

Only one word for our American fellows : BRAVO !

Thank You

I read about the 109 y/o lady who voted for the first Black American President .... her father was a slave. What a country that in one lifetime the USA went from slavery to President.

While this election was significant for blacks ... this is not a victory for any race ... All Americans had to come together to elect Obama ... and he is the President of All the people.

At the Los Angeles Democratic Election night rally ... when Obama was declared the victor ... the crowds chanted "Yes We Did!"

Gary

Will_Perlis

I'm just blown away by seeing something I didn't think I'd live long enough to see. My first memory of "real" racial events in the US (as opposed to the stuff they teach in a classroom) was of Ike sending the 101st Airborne to Little Rock to get kids into school. It's a half-century later and things are a bit different.

No matter how he does, I'm glad I was around for this.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank You

I read about the 109 y/o lady who voted for the first Black American President .... her father was a slave. What a country that in one lifetime the USA went from slavery to President.

While this election was significant for blacks ... this is not a victory for any race ... All Americans had to come together to elect Obama ... and he is the President of All the people.

At the Los Angeles Democratic Election night rally ... when Obama was declared the victor ... the crowds chanted "Yes We Did!"

Gary
Remember almost 50% of the voters didn't join in this movement. Still what has happened is momentous. This is a very important cleansing, hope-giving event as far as race is concerned.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher

Remember almost 50% of the voters didn't join in this movement.

Wow, I didn't realize it was a movement. I thought it was a presidential election.

So "almost 50% of the voters" didn't vote for the winner. What's your point?

There are of course countries where it usually doesn't come out that way at all.

This was one of the few presidential elections where one of the opponents wasn't on the ballot at all.

Winner - Barack Obama

Not-winner - Karl Rove. (You probably thought I was going to say George W. Bush!)

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Reviewing the world's reaction to Obama's victory ... it seems that today, we are All Americans
Hi Gary,

Although I agree with the essence of your message (which is the only thing that matters), saying that we are all Americans is simply pushing your luck if you ask me ;-)

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
C'mon Cem
it's okay - for one day only

Edit: as long as next day, we' re all dutch ;-)

gary: it's true, that quite a big parth of the world had problems with some attitudes of the old administration.