• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hopper Light

doug anderson

414522140_nzxG9-L.jpg

I've always liked Edward Hopper. He liked this kind of light.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Yes, it is Hopperesque. Edward Hopper has been my favorite American painter for as long as I can remember. (My screen backgrounds are mostly Hopper paintings.) There was a once-in-a-lifetime Hopper exhibit here (Chicago) early this year that was simply breathtaking.

That image actually reminds me a bit of his last painting. It was of afternoon light falling across a wall of an empty room. The first time I saw it (in person) it brought a tear to my eye. It was clear that Hopper was saying that he was finished and at peace with his legacy.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, it is Hopperesque. Edward Hopper has been my favorite American painter for as long as I can remember. (My screen backgrounds are mostly Hopper paintings.) There was a once-in-a-lifetime Hopper exhibit here (Chicago) early this year that was simply breathtaking.

That image actually reminds me a bit of his last painting. It was of afternoon light falling across a wall of an empty room. The first time I saw it (in person) it brought a tear to my eye. It was clear that Hopper was saying that he was finished and at peace with his legacy.

Ken, that's a wonderful connection. Do you have a link to that image?

Asher

doug anderson

Thanks, Ken. This one was taken in Hartford. He's my favorite American painter.

D

Cem_Usakligil

You sent me on a bit of an errand, Asher. The painting is titled Sun in an Empty Room, circa 1963. It's not technically his last painting but it certainly sums up his work.

edward_hopper_empty_room.jpg

I found this jpeg at this fellow's blog.
Hi,

I am really enjoying this thread and learning about Hopper at the same time. After seeing this painting I have remembered about this long forgotten picture of mine. Resemblence to especially Doug's picture is interesting to notice. :)

sunnyroom1.jpg

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Fun, eh? For the record, the tonality of the actual painting is much closer to the larger jpg that Nicolas posted than it is to the small version.

Cem, that's a wonderful image, too! The magic of images such as yours, and Doug's and Hopper's, is that they provoke the viewer's imagination. What has happened in that room? Why is it so empty? What will happen there in the future? Where is this room? When was this scene captured?

In reference to a separate thread here undertaking a brief discussion of the qualities of "fine art" photography, I offer such magic as a paramount quality that distinguishes an artful photograph from a simple recording.

Interesting thread. It reminds me of the "Photo Echo" that usually appears on the last page of Aperture magazine.

Alas, there are no empty rooms in New York--real estate is too expensive--so I don't have any echo of my own here.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Interesting thread. It reminds me of the "Photo Echo" that usually appears on the last page of Aperture magazine.

Alas, there are no empty rooms in New York--real estate is too expensive--so I don't have any echo of my own here.

Wait until January. I think you'll see plenty of empty rooms in New York by then.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi all,

Very good work Doug and Cem ! Interesting and well executed. Fine tribute to Hopper...

Regards,

Cedric.
Thanks Cedric, although I wasn't thinking about Hopper when I took that picture so it is not a tribute really. As a matter of fact, I did not bother taking a second look at it until I came across this thread, LOL.

Cheers,

more light on a hotel room wall

Continuing the theme, with the same subject, but not Hopperesque. Morning light, not afternoon, not an American setting (Helsinki), and not quite an empty room.

L4002106.jpg

scott