• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Memories

Mike Shimwell

The other day my wife was going through some old photos and putting them in our family album (well the 2002 one!) when she found some pictures that I took around 6 to 6.30am on 20 April 2002. This was the day our first daughter, Hannah, was born at about 2.45am. When I left the hospital I was so excited that I couldn't sleep and so wandered around with my AE-1 shooting whatever was there:)

The memories reminded me of how blessed we are and left me very moved, so I scanned a couple of frames to make new prints...

Mike

3030179773_afeef5790b_o.jpg

3030179575_5ea7f1a472_o.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Mike
it so nice to have these photos from your daughter first birthday!

Contrary of your feelings, when taking them, the photos appear to me to be calm and peacefull.

I didn't took photos, after my son, Roman, was born in 02, as well.
But I still remember the twilight, starting a new beautifull day.

doug anderson

Love the photos. They remind me a little David Kenna. But the frames drive me nuts. I think plain black frames would be better.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

When a child is being born, it's such a rush and a risk! And you were getting some respite in the cold morning air with the mist still hanging on the ground. I especially like the second photograph. That is a very Velvia green! England grows good grass. I always think of the great traditions of bowling and cricket and splendid gardens of the gentry and Royals, lavished with care by the servants who lived on the land!

Someone asked a groundsman in a British estate how they had such fine rich lawns. "Easy, Sir, the man said, just choose your field, turn the soil before the snow, remove the rocks, come spring, plough and put in drainage and plant a fine seed. "

"So that's it?", the American inquired.

"A tad more than that, Sir!" The groundsman replied. "You then have to cut it, twice a week, mind you and then simply fork it every 3 months, push the roller over it and do that for 400 years. That, Sir is how the British make lawns!"

Asher :)