• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

what posting site?

adrian rathbone

hy guys n galls iwas just wondering what sites you all use to post images , im using flickr at the moment and want to post bigger images than the limited ones im getting with a basic account . before i subscribe i just wondered what sites everyone else was using

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
SmugMug, Photobucket, Pbase....

I have a custom SmugMug site, but also a Photobucket and Pbase for hosting. I like the Smugmug site since I can selectively have print orders filled without doing anything and the images are priced as I see fit with a profit sharing arrangement with them. They handle the sale, printing and shipping and I get a check based on my pro level pricing. I have some personal images on Photobucket and Pbase as well.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Adrian
most of ISP (Internet Service Providers) do include a free webspace into their offers.
It is supposed to be used as a space to place your website, but you may only upload your files there and use their urls to post them in fora. Normally their is no limit to file size but a total amount of disk space allowed (I have 10 Gb).

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Adrian,
Many of the most "popular" sites (Flickr, Smgmug, Shutterfly, etc.) are really geared toward the consumer/amateur photographer. In my opinion the best approach is to put up your own website. For what you are going to pay the Flickrs etc. you can host your own site for nearly the same price. Also, there are tons of inexpensive Photo Gallery template packages available that require little if any programming knowledge.
If that's not your thing, then I'd also recommend PBase. They are a top-notch gallery site.

Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree with Kathy on one point - I haven't seen a print come off Smugmug (or most others) that compares to some of the better on-line printing services. Yes, they "handle" everything, but is that the quality you want the client to remember?

Hope the info helps.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
hy guys n galls iwas just wondering what sites you all use to post images , im using flickr at the moment and want to post bigger images than the limited ones im getting with a basic account . before i subscribe i just wondered what sites everyone else was using
Hi Adrian,

Allow me to answer you on a related matter. OPF will be providing some to extensive hosting free for members.

We haven't worked out the details, but we plan to accept essentially all the pictures that you want to display in a post as well as those you wish to represent your quality work. We'd like it to be a free and essentially unlimited service. However, we have no monetization, so we'll at least, have a service that make it easy to post images and a place that shows your work elegantly with your brand. We want to use images to show off, enjoy, learn from. We also hope to nurture of each others technical, artistic or commerce goals. At our best, we want to promote a sense of satisfaction and pride in each others achievements.

So, if anyone has ideas, please feel free to send me a short or long email through the contact page here which is also accessed from the menu on the left side of the Front Page of OPF on the left side. Or else by email at editor.opfATmac.com, (of course replace AT with @). Using the latter, you can attach images up to 20MB.

Now back to host images on services like Flikr, Smugmug, Pbase and the like. I would be great to know what photographers want, which services you use and why any cost and how well they work for you.

Asher :)

Last edited:
-snip-

Now back to host images on services like Flikr, Smugmug, Pbase and the like. I would be great to know what photographers want, which services you use and why any cost and how well they work for you.

I started out using Photo.net but am now transitioning to use my own website (www.charlesLwebster.com) exclusively.

A site like Photo.net (which costs $25 per year) makes sharing photos easy. I don't have to create my own thumbnails, slide shows, etc. And they allow "hot linking" pictures to sites like OPF. But I now prefer the greater control I have over the presentation of my work on my own site.

What is important to me in a hosting site/service:

1. ease of use (I would like to be able to upload multiple files at once, have the site create appropriate thumbnails, and be able to easily add captions and technical data), a well designed user interface is important

2. customer service/support (I want to be able to reach someone immediately when the site goes down or a picture doesn't display correctly)

3. bandwidth (I hate waiting for someones picture to load from a slug-slow server)

4. reliability (doesn't do me any good if the site is down)

Rod Witten

pro member
Uploads

Hi Adrian,

Allow me to answer you on a related matter. OPF will be providing some to extensive hosting free for members.

We haven't worked out the details, but we plan to accept essentially all the pictures that you want to display in a post as well as those you wish to represent your quality work. We'd like it to be a free and essentially unlimited service. However, we have no monetization, so we'll at least, have a service that make it easy to post images and a place that shows your work elegantly with your brand. We want to use images to show off, enjoy, learn from. We also hope to nurture of each others technical, artistic or commerce goals. At our best, we want to promote a sense of satisfaction and pride in each others achievements.

So, if anyone has ideas, please feel free to send me a short or long email through the contact page here which is also accessed from the menu on the left side of the Front Page of OPF on the left side. Or else by email at editor.opfATmac.com, (of course replace AT with @). Using the latter, you can attach images up to 20MB.

Asher,

I do not use hosting sites. Can we upload image files directly from our computers to OPF or is there a reason that you prefer that we not use this method of posting?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher,

I do not use hosting sites. Can we upload image files directly from our computers to OPF or is there a reason that you prefer that we not use this method of posting?

Bonjour Rod
for now, you cannot upload directlty to the OPF server as we don't have enough space to host so many files…
It may change in the future when hosting galleries will be enabled (thru large increase of disk space on the server). Please remember that OPF is free and has no other ressources than Asher's own pocket! no ads here…