• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographic exhibition

Antonio Correia

Saturday, the 29th November 2008 my friend José made a small exhibition of his work as amateur photographer in an also small cafeteria.
I was using the Canon G9 with the ST-E2 and the 580 EXII bounced to the ceiling.
His photos are in black and white, so I thought his portrait would also be that way.
We had some agreeable moments with some other people.:D
The image was worked on LR 2
Click on the picture for a view with black and better background :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Antonio
despite your stubborn love for B&W background, congratulation to your friend! We'd like to see some of his pictures here too…

Antonio Correia

Hi Antonio
despite your stubborn love for B&W background, congratulation to your friend! We'd like to see some of his pictures here too…

Hello Nicolas !
Black and white for background pictures, yes it is among the best ones for viewing pictures.
I always thought you agree with me ... :)
About my friend's pictures: I will tell him about this forum with a direct link to this thread.
Thank you for commenting ! :)
Cheers.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sorry Antonio, but no, I don't agree with you with black background… Otherwise it would be black for long time! don't forget I have done the layout of this forum…

I have never see any gallery with black walls. Amazing no?

BTW Bad luck, I don't like nor encourage emoticons (smileys) in OPF also! ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Saturday, the 29th November 2008 my friend José made a small exhibition of his work as amateur photographer in an also small cafeteria.
I was using the Canon G9 with the ST-E2 and the 580 EXII bounced to the ceiling.
His photos are in black and white, so I thought his portrait would also be that way.
We had some agreeable moments with some other people.:D
The image was worked on LR 2
Click on the picture for a view with black and better background :)

Hi Antonio,

How are you and your family? I am a fan of your photography. You have taken us to some interesting places and showed us some fine work. I love black and white photography as it works so well with form, texture and composition without the enhancement and excitement and may I say distraction of the special value of colors.

Nicolas is quite correct that very rarely does one see black walls in a gallery. I've seen it in a local art fair once and it worked but had few visitors. I think almost always the museum or gallery is a white, but not RGB 256, less bright. Only when the images are projected on a screen is there black.

One can add a matte of any color to a picture shown here, but gray is probably less of a strain to the eye. The text is another matter.

I am interested in seeing these pictures and we can showcase them here!

Thanks for sharing, I wish Setubal was around the corner!

Asher :)

One smile is O.K.

Antonio Correia

Hello Asher.
Your familly and yourself ? Well I hope.
My son is at our house these days because his wife is gone on work with my daughter and her employees to Barcelona. He had a small throat problem but things are getting better.
This kind of exhibitions - those where Jose is - are ... How can I say ?
I want to expose but on something better. I don't want to expose - if I ever expose in my life - in a coffee house. I would like to expose in an art gallery in Lisbon.
Setubal is a too small town for my ambitions.
However, I am aware that this is very difficult and it is - may be - too ambitious for my standards of pictures.
But thing here are - often - very tortuous in terms of opportunities. One has to know the right person, at the right place and at the right moment.
I have hidden many pictures from my site. Now I decided to show only the ones I think are the best pictures I take. I am more selective, more demanding.

And talking about the way I shoot.
Yesterday, after having done the photo above, I was telling at dinner that I really have some gift about photography.
It is a shame to make such a statement. In fact, I don't think when I shoot.
I just grab the camera - whichever it is, and now I have teh 20D, the 5D and the G9 - and most of the times I get a good picture.
Then, some work on LR2 - which is a superb program - will do the rest of the work.
I am studying the program these days with the help of Kelby's book, reading forums and blogs about it.

Well, enought talk.
Bom+apetite.jpg
Ele+e+ela.jpg

These are two images from José, which were on the wall.
But I post here one of mines.
If the background was black - ah ah ah - you could see that I now use a white frame around which enhances teh photo very much.
I am now free in terms of frame. I mean, I use the most convenient size/frame for each picture.
Setubal is only about 1/2 hour drive from Lisbon and about 2,30 h from Paris/Bruxelles
You can always click on my photo to see it with a black background. (I am stubborn, sometimes ah ah ah ...)

Antonio Correia

Hey Asher. How about thse two I just recovered from last year ?

As usual, for a view with black background click on the picture please. They look better.

Doug Kerr

Hi. Antonio,

All very nice.

I am surprised by the shallowness of the frog (the "script-x" shaped trackwork item) in this turnout.

The little stones in the track grooves are a nice visual feature. They are fairly serious, so I suspect this trackwork is not currently used.

Thanks for sharing all these with us.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Hi. Antonio,All very nice. I am surprised by the shallowness of the frog (the "script-x" shaped trackwork item) in this turnout. The little stones in the track grooves are a nice visual feature. They are fairly serious, so I suspect this trackwork is not currently used. Thanks for sharing all these with us. Best regards, Doug

Thank you Doug ! :)
I think - but I am not sure - that this line works.

In fact some lines have been deactivated. I don't know if this one is included or not. :)

Thank you for commenting :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hey Asher. How about thse two I just recovered from last year ?

As usual, for a view with black background click on the picture please. They look better.

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for sharing these pictures of a trees in a misty air reflected in a meandering waterway. In the first, the water is the first feature to hold one's attention, in the second the sun through the clouds/fog anchors our interest. They represent two extraordinary different views of the same landscape and so show just how much meaning can change by shift the camera a little.

I have done some extensive testing of your pictures against white versus black backgrounds. It's good for you to provide the option as different people might vary in perception. Still, overwhelmingly the white background wins since attention is immediately drawn to the B&W photograph and the eye has no need to search the blackness for risk or danger as is our physiological hard-wired nature.

More than that, when using a black background and a white border as you have chosen on your website, there might be distraction. The detail of the thin white border provides a feature which might strongly compete with the photograph itself. Somehow, the pictures framed that way have to fight for attention. The frame is a magnet for the eyes!

Of course, once one gets over these initial responses, the blackness may not matter. You may not be bothered by the black background since you know your pictures well.

I'm very sure that your pictures excel on a white background and need no gimmicks to get and hold my attention, shown thus. The interface is really much, much clearer.

Asher

Last edited: