• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Have you Been Mad At Getting Permits for Photography?

Valentin Arfire

This is a duplicate of an orignal PANO post. To comment on the 2 Panos shown here,
go to the orginal thread, here! Below, we discuss just the pain of permits for photography! Asher 12/28/08

Unfortunately they got my entrance fee and after my second shot it proved tripod photography was forbidden indoors.

I believe this is counterproductive and unfair, maybe we should contact an organization that may defend us regarding arbitrary interpretation and abuse when comes to photography.
Here in Barcelona I had to obtain two permits to take pictures (one for street images and one for parcs) and of course give an explanation and wait for a few days...

anyway here are the results

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/Royal/entrance.html

http://www.europhoto.ro/valentin/BCN/Royal/throne.html

regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Unfortunately they got my entrance fee and after my second shot it proved tripod photography was forbidden indoors.

I believe this is counterproductive and unfair, maybe we should contact an organization that may defend us regarding arbitrary interpretation and abuse when comes to photography.
Here in Barcelona I had to obtain two permits to take pictures (one for street images and one for parcs) and of course give an explanation and wait for a few days...
So Valentin,

Do I understand right that once you have the permits you can take pictures of anything? What do tourists do? Does one need that for each city and how long does the permit last? I can't imagine telling Japanese tourists the cannot take pictures! Not ever!

Why two permits?

Also how did you take these two panos, of the entrance hall and throne room? They are wonderful. These kings sure lived in luxury!

Asher

Dorin Godja

I believe this is counterproductive and unfair, ...

Hi Valentin, yes, unfair indeed!

Regarding (mono/tri)pods, those can be seen as some extra causes for potentially damage the floor, therefore the use of them in some historic buldings to be restricted.

For these kind of situations and others I become very intersted in handheld taking of panorama lately. I discovered that isn't as hard as I thought and the results are very encouraging.
Of course the handheld will be regarded as plan 'B' when taking from tripod and panohead isn't allowed, in order to have, against the odds, digital and panoramic memory from such wonderful places.

Thanks for sharing,
Dorin

Valentin Arfire

permits and photography fun

hello Asher

first I think this ought to become a new thread because of its potential importance: I'd like to know what photographers do when confronted to official obtuse behaviour and what legal steps can be taken in order to avoid future harass of the photographers while doing their hobby and/or work. I leave this to you.

In Barcelona I had a Ajuntamiento (City Hall) permit for pictures on the public space streets and markets that will expire on Dec 31 and another for the parks that already expired on 24th. for each I had to complete a form and say for what I was going use the resulting photos, as well as a promise I'll keep them informed. Of course if I'd make a profit out of it I'd probably had to pay... I said it were for my portfolio. And if I'll have a version of my portfolio printed this won't be sold.

I remember in Romania, a former communist country the law states that a city hall can mark certain perimeters of strategic importance with a certain sign and from 50 meters away one could take the pictures with no other explanation; just imagine my shock after being threaded by an elderly gentleman here that I really need those permits....

Of course the police keeps a low profile and probably wouldn't act too tough on such a thing as taking pictures with a tripod.
On the other hand I know a lot of people using monopodes, ladders or even a fishing rod for high-ground pictures; what will be written on their permits? What will be written in case - God forbid - I'd have the idea to fly a helicopter with a remote camera and take aerian pictures or film?

I know Woody Allen had a problem with traffic when asking the local authorities here and finally got really upset.

I wrote to European Commission and they didn't have and recommendation except getting along to the local rules. :( For Germany there is a Panorama freiheit law but I don't know whether it is applicable elsewhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama

I look forward in ideas to solve this problem.

regarding the beauty of the place yes it is very well preserved and probably dripping with history.

here is the wikipedia link on Catalonia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia#History

regards,

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Valentin,
Regarding the Barcelona shoot - do you mean you had to obtain a permit for any type of photography, or was the permit required if you were physically blocking a public area, passaway, etc? It seems virtually unenforceable if it pertained to general photography (what differentiates you from the average tourist?).

Here in New York City the mayor's office controls the issuance of permits (not to be confused with Press Credentials, which are controlled and issued by the NYPD). Permits are not required for still photography in general. They are required for: motion pictures, whenever a street or sidewalk is encroached upon, if traffic is impeded, etc.
The permit would also be required for a commercial, still photo shoot if one were setting up light sources, reflectors, etc.

Another issue we have here is living in THE post 9-11 city. You are guaranteed BIG trouble if you photograph anything related to a government building (city, state or federal). I spent 2 hours in federal detention a couple of months ago doing just that. I was shooting some candids of people sitting on the steps of a building. Unforunately the steps led to a federal courthouse. Stupid of me, to say the least. I'm lucky to have only lost the memory card to my camera.

Ken Tanaka - you are a professional who's expertise is architectural imaging. What are the restrictions/requirements in Chicago?

Valentin Arfire

hi John and Happy New Year

I needed the permits (one for street and squares and the other one for the parks) in order to use the tripod.

I just can't imagine a thing like being detained for taking pictures - what is going on? Then how make aerian photography? How about panoramas where chances to shoot something official are very big?

I feel very upset by this.

I think an idea of a legislative initiative could put on a common ground the photography. To hell, if I'll have to consider all those juridical details I'll completely waste my artistic inspiration.

Could United Nations make some sort of a recommendation in this?

all the best,

Asher Kelman

Valentin,

Today with modern stitching software, the tilt, yaw and roll of the camera can be taken care of in the software. One can do so much handheld. With a simple light monopod one can add some stability and get the picture done in under 3 minutes. Even if one had a powered Gigpapan pano head, and a tripod, the whole thing could be done in 3-4 minutes. It just needs speed and a friend to hand the memory card to in case you get caught! Always have an old blank card to swop!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
International Travel

I have traveled quite a bit thoughout Europe this last few years and in particular in Spain, France, Greece and England but also some of Morocco and the Baltic Countires. Everything I have done is handheld or by using a binoculars harness. I never use any tripod or monopod. I have never been stopped anywhere, shooting inside or outside including with long white lenses. I frequently take images of buildings or of street scenes as well. Maybe it's because we look more like tourists, although with my gear that is not the case.

Editing to add that even in Russia in areas forbidden to photography, I have shot from the hip - the binocular harness is quite good for that purpose.

Asher Kelman

I have shot from the hip - the binocular harness is quite good for that purpose.

Do you mean, the camera strap or is this more fancy like this $19.95 harness from Adorama.com

OTBCHE.jpg

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Asher - yes - the Optech brand strap like that. Takes the weight off your neck and onto the shoulders. The Optech branc is webbing material. There is one that is elastic that is not as good since it stretches when you add a heavy lens to the mix and you can swap it out for an Optech neck strap as needed. You can also let go of the camera and it will sit nicely at waist level. The other thing I like is that when you are traveling no one sees your camera so easily from behind. I wear it under a light sweater or jacket but over my blouse/shirt/top and try to wear black to further mask it from view.