• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A white Christmas in North Texas

Doug Kerr

It's not uncommon to have a winter snowstorm here in North Texas on New Years' Eve, but this year it came a day early.

It was of course not much of a storm by northern or northeastern U.S, Canadian, or European standards, but it still made quite an impact here - especially to those traveling for the holiday. The snowfall was at a fairly high rate, and the snow was driven by wind. Total snow accumulation here in Weatherford (about 25 miles west of Fort Worth) will probably be about 4" when the thing settles down.

Here's a grab shot of the world headquarters shortly after the peak of the snowfall:

Xmas_Eve_F13411R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: World Headquarters, Christmas Eve, 2009

Yesterday afternoon at 4:00 pm the outside air temperature was 75% F; today at that time, 25° F.

But Carla made a gigantic pot of fabulous bean-kielbasa soup, and we have settled in for the night. Out little Episcopal church is having Christmas Eve services tonight, but we aren't going to brave the roads. I sent the PDF file of the service bulletin (which we compose and print) to a co-conspirator who lives closer to the church site, with the suggestion that if he is going to make the trip, perhaps he could print a few copies!

Fortunately, the big family Christmas dinner here has been scheduled for Saturday, the day after Christmas, for compatibility with various family commitments, so hopefully by that time travel will ease up (it could well be 75° F again by then!).

In any event, Carla and I wish a very merry Christmas and a happy holiday season of whatever flavor to all our friends on this forum, whatever your meteorological situation may be.

Best regards,

Doug

In any event, Carla and I wish a very merry Christmas and a happy holiday season of whatever flavor to all our friends on this forum, whatever your meteorological situation may be.

Hi Doug,

Same to you and Carla, from a rainy(!) Netherlands.
The snow has mostly thawed by now, and there's a warning out for freezing rain.
So much for a white Xmas ...

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Xmas_Eve_F13411R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: World Headquarters, Christmas Eve, 2009

Just the right amount of snow to visit folk and get back home safely. Glad Carla looks after you so well. Wish you both well and peace amongst the Episcopalians for 2010!

Asher

StuartRae

Total snow accumulation........will probably be about 4"......

At least you won't have to dig Doug.

....the big family Christmas dinner here has been scheduled for Saturday
Let's hope everyone can make it. With my daughter now in New Zealand I shall have a quiet Christmas, just me and the turkey. I tried to engage it in meaningful conversation, but all I got was gobbledy gook.
Still, I have a web-cam session with my grandson in Seattle to look forward to later. Mind you, he speaks gobbledy gook as well :)

Peace to all of you at Christmas.

Regards,

Stuart