• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Will you upgrade you camera and lenses for 2010 and if so why?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We try not to buy gear based on what the MFR's promote. Still, when we hear of a new lens or body for our system, do we say, "No that's not what's limiting my photography.", or "I deserve the best." and go for it!

After all, one can sell most recent DSLR's and lenses to help finance the upgrade. For me it's the attraction of the new 1D mark IV and the top of the line Nikons. The top of my wish list is a new 5D Mark III or else

Canon 1D Mark IV for the higher dynamic range in low light.

So what are your plans?

Asher

charlie chipman

I only tend to upgrade my camera body if major innovation comes along. I went from the D200 to the D700 and that was a giant leap in terms of image quality in general but particularly off base ISO, not to mention full frame. I do not see myself upgrading to the next model D?00? nor do I need to, the camera is certainly not the limiting factor. Lighting equipment ranks higher on my list.

As far as lenses I always seem to want one that I don't have and 2010 has nothing to do with that :)
I am sure to buy a lens or three next year, most likely fast primes, 35mm, 85mm, the 14-24mm is quite tempting too.

ErikJonas

Banned

Due to my limited exp. in shooting my 2 cents here is worthless however.....My last upgrade I went from about the cheapest Pentax body and the cheapest lens to the nicest in both lens and camera...Some of my nicest images were done with that cheap camera though.

The new body brought a certain smoothness to what i do...A lens that focuses so quietly you dont even hear it. But spending money on new gear is pointless as this camera does everything i possibly want. Also Pentax has not released a camera with much note worthy improvements.

I am very happy with the gear i have and will keep it for another couple of years at least if not longer........Erik.....

fahim mohammed

No.

On the contrary, I am thinking of selling of some equipment that was bought in haste, on impulse or to
satisfy the stupid ' want ' feeling.

One film M, one M8 and one D700 are more than sufficient for me, and a few primes ( 3 for the Ms and 2 for the D700 ) are more than enough for me, and heavy enough for me too!

After more than 30 years, I have realized that the cameras are not the limiting factor for me.Yes, I have been just plain dumb! Try telling this to the young huns!!

Regards.

We try not to buy gear based on what the MFR's promote. Still, when we hear of a new lens or body for our system, do we say, "No that's not what's limiting my photography.", or "I deserve the best." and go for it!

There's not much that's limiting me in my current camera, but a higher dynamic range together with added resolution might spark my interest. I do a fair amount of stitching and HDR/Exposure fusion, so apparently those are areas where life could be made simpler. A better LCD would be nice.

Canon 1D Mark IV for the higher dynamic range in low light.

This remains to be seen. Canon would need to use a much better technology to achieve a higher DR in smaller sensels. Based on the current state of technology, I wouldn't be surprised to see an effective loss of DR in the order of 1/3rd to 2/3rd of a stop. Canon's strategy seems to be more about evolutionary upgrades. The in camera noise reduction may well be mostly achieved in postprocessing, but that's not DR. Noise reduction in post, that I can already do.

Cheers,
Bart

No.

On the contrary, I am thinking of selling of some equipment that was bought in haste, on impulse or to
satisfy the stupid ' want ' feeling.

One film M, one M8 and one D700 are more than sufficient for me, and a few primes ( 3 for the Ms and 2 for the D700 ) are more than enough for me, and heavy enough for me too!

After more than 30 years, I have realized that the cameras are not the limiting factor for me.Yes, I have been just plain dumb! Try telling this to the young huns!!

Regards.

Hi Fahim,

It's funny, i have now quite the same set than you : one film M with M7, one M8 and one D700. Three primes for the Ms (two 35mm and one 50mm) and two couples of primes for the D700 (Nikkor AF-D 35mm and 85mm and Zeiss manual 35mm and 85mm). Very similar to you.

Other stuff is sold or given...

Next year, i think i will be hardly tempted by a full-frame M9... I will try to resist but even if M8 is an excellent camera, 1.33 crop factor is just a bit annoying as i can only really use my Summicron 35 which becomes an excellent versatile 47mm. My Summicron 50 becomes a weird 66mm prime that i don't find very usefull. Or maybe invest in an used Elmarit 28 to get a 37mm equivalent ? Don't know yet. I'd like to keep the same lenses with film and digital but above all reduce my stuff and stop this "consumer running"...

fahim mohammed

Cedric, small world indeed. To be honest, I am seriously thinking of just keeping one camera only,
and 2 primes...35/85 or nearabout. But I know I will miss the others!

The process of putting in a film, closing the cover. The careful eye on the # of exposures left. The thought
of having no film left. The rewinding of the film cartridge, the wait to see the results...all this is a
pleasure for me. I find the whole exercise relaxing and enjoyable. No I cannot give up my film cam.

The film M and the M8 complement eachother. one set of lenses, the crop factor..a 90mm elmar-m
gives me an efov of about 120mm in a tiny uncompromising package.

The D700 focuses in the dark! how can I not keep it. the zeiss lenses are a marvel, metal, smooth,
optically superb.

Am I trying to justify keeping all of this?

Nuno Alexandre

I only purchase what limits me of taking certain photos, and what am needing is a wide lens, so i will get the 16-35mm F/2.8L II .. the widest I got now is 24mm.

merry xmas everyone.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
So what are your plans?
One of my desires (for which there is not yet a plan) is to acquire a "vacation lens" to use on my EOS 40D with better image performance than my Sigma 18-200 f/3.6-6.3 DC OS.

The current situation in that regime seems to be:

Choose one:

• Large focal length range
• Good image performance (re sharpness, geometric distortion, CA, etc)
• Reasonable size and weight

(I did not even include in the list "modest cost".)

For example, if I could get something with a focal length range of, say, 20-250 mm with optical performance comparable to my EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, that would be nice.

As to an SLR body, I am certainly intrigued by the EOS 7D, but I'm not sure I will spring for it.

My most serious aspiration is to improve my technique on various fronts.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

Best regards,

Doug

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Hi, Asher,

One of my desires (for which there is not yet a plan) is to acquire a "vacation lens" to use on my EOS 40D with better image performance than my Sigma 18-200 f/3.6-6.3 DC OS.

The current situation in that regime seems to be:
Best regards,

Doug

You might look at the Tamron 28-300 3.5vr for Canon. I use it on my 5d for travel and my husband uses it on his 20D soon to be 7d. We have been very happy using that. I know several pros who use it as well for fine art work.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
The only lens I want to get this year is the 85 1.2 but we will see.
I am on the fence about the Mark 4 - the 5d2 meets my needs. Actually, I am still using the 5d Original in the studio and the 5d2 for lowlight events.

Thinking that I want to start doing my own printing in the next year - that would be my upgrade.

Ruben Alfu

I´m happy with my 5D and lenses so far. It would be nice to have a smaller camera for street photo but no plans to get one for the moment. I would like to get some studio equipment and my laptop was stolen so that´s another "investment" for next year.

Steve Robinson

My holiday wish was for Pentax to introduce a K30D with 8fps and fast AF otherwise I won't upgrade. I keep waiting for their "long" telephoto to be announced and hoping for a 500 f/4. Even better would be a 250-500 f/4 but it would have to have wheels or maybe an electric ATV!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Short answer: No!

I have WAY too much camera equipment and must either begin selling some or declare myself a collector. (2009 turned out to be a big Leica year for me...FAR more so than planned on New Years 2008.) At this point there is absolutely no technical excuse for my not being able to record good images. I'm deeply invested in the best that Canon and Leica offer.

The only potential 2010 additions or changes will be in the medium format realm.

The bigger challenges for me in 2010 will be in the realms of photographic projects and getting my work out there.

The only thing I would really like to add to my bag is a 14-24mm f/2.8 to go with my 24-70 and 70-200. However, given the current economic situation I am afraid it may have to wait until 2011. Other than that "want" I am perfectly happy with my gear. I just need to get out and use it more.
Merry Holidays!
James

Got myself convinced that Canon's new version of the TS-E 90mm is a must have. I'm working diligently to convince myself otherwise before it becomes available.

Asher Kelman

Got myself convinced that Canon's new version of the TS-E 90mm is a must have. I'm working diligently to convince myself otherwise before it becomes available.
Tom,

What did you hear? I'm still reading Barts amazing work on the new Canon 24mm T/S. The 90mm was always great, AFAIK. But so are most lenses of that focal length!

Asher

Tom,

What did you hear? I'm still reading Barts amazing work on the new Canon 24mm T/S. The 90mm was always great, AFAIK. But so are most lenses of that focal length!

Asher

Asher,

I've heard nothing. I would think (hope) the improvements of the 17 and 24 mm versions would logically continue with 45 and 90mm versions. Pure conjecture and perhaps wishful thinking on my part, however. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll guard the piggy bank.

Wendy Thurman

I recently upgraded with the addition of the camera body I have said I would not buy, the Nikon D3x. I think I can call it a 2010 upgrade as I have not yet used the camera! A 16mm fisheye and 105 macro were added at the same time; all of this will be wrapped up in an Aquatica housing and shot underwater. For the underwater work- particularly the macro shots- I wanted the most resolution I could get and the D3x offers that. Never say never, eh? The first test comes in April in Indonesia.

I'm becoming more and more passionate about the changes the planet is going through and particularly so in the marine environment. Coral reefs are fragile beyond belief and easily threatened, shark populations have declined by as much as 95% in some areas, vast fields of trash have accumulated in the open Pacific, and the depressing list goes on. The wild places are disappearing and I want to do something about it beyond donating money to organizations. End of rant- sorry!

Wendy

Asher Kelman

Wendy,

I know you'll enjoy the Nikon D3X. Thank goodness Nikon had the stamina and brains to fight it out and come back with such a great camera. Nikon is, after all responsible for the level of cameras Canon releases to maintain its place. Hopefully Sony will have the same effect on both of them.

I'm becoming more and more passionate about the changes the planet is going through and particularly so in the marine environment. Coral reefs are fragile beyond belief and easily threatened, shark populations have declined by as much as 95% in some areas, vast fields of trash have accumulated in the open Pacific, and the depressing list goes on. The wild places are disappearing and I want to do something about it beyond donating money to organizations. End of rant- sorry!

Wendy
I saw a move a night ago where the aliens were forming giant floating globes harvesting all kinds of living creatures, but man. The female protagonist asks the alien, (in human form) "Are people going to be killed then? "Yes", the alien replies, it's already underway.

The woman protests, "When we first met, you promised that you had come to save the earth?"

He looks at her and answers, "I'm afraid that's exactly, what we're doing"

-paraphrased-

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
I' ve been adding the TSE-24 a few weeks ago - as for the cam, I jump from 1 Ds-2 to 4, therefore no upgrade in 2010 to expect.

My computer will have a upgrade during that year, probably...

My Canon G11 is on its way as we speak. Not an upgrade since I will keep my DX and lenses. My main objective is to be able to travel lighter than D300 and lenses.

I have a friend in south America that could buy my digital back since it is difficult for them to get that system there and we are very good friends. The question is:

should I just keep a system that I know perfectly well, with a state of the art software CaptureOne 5 and 4 prime lenses 80,150,35 and 45? or try to get the money for a FF 35mm?

In other words, can you get to a system that is good enough for you and keep it indefinitely?

*pro- The system has one of the largest sensel sizes you can buy... not the most resolution. Now we are seeing camera makers recognizing that sensel size may be as important than pixel count. The Canon G10 to G11 transition is one such examples.

* 22MP not too much not too little very clean files.

Con- Slower or very slow compared to other systems. Battery goes down fast/ no so good at high ISO

Of course it all depends on how you use the gear, but the question can be made in general terms.

Is it time for the up grade wars to be slowing down? If YES, then I welcome it.

Perfect camera to settle in:

Micro DX rangefinder system that responds as fast as any. That could use Leica prime lenses with a small adapter. 12MP high ISO performance / size of a Leica / Cheaper than a Leica / fast AF / Lenses for that system includes collapsible zooms, fast primes and Perspective Control lenses (since there is no mirror box, it would be easy for engineers to make a shift adapter for regular Nikon or MF lenses since image circle and lens-to-film plane distance allow it)

I predict that the days of mirror box are counted and that technology will find a way to make it obsolete...

Wendy Thurman

Wendy,

I know you'll enjoy the Nikon D3X. Thank goodness Nikon had the stamina and brains to fight it out and come back with such a great camera. Nikon is, after all responsible for the level of cameras Canon releases to maintain its place. Hopefully Sony will have the same effect on both of them.

Asher

I had to put the M9 on hold- I'm camera poor at this point. but I have more than enough stuff to keep me quite busy this year!

Wendy

I got the camera

21964_222008927083_668172083_3191815_8077457_n.jpg

21964_222008972083_668172083_3191817_5991412_n.jpg

ok, got the G11 and the flash.

Camera is small and super light, it has a neck strap, but you don't feel the weight difference.

As I supposed, this camera what it needs is the lens adapter so that you don't have to either have the lens out --exposing it to rain drops, fingers, bumps etc etc-- or having to boot the camera every time you see something interesting.

I ordered my lens adapter from a 3rd store (camera Adorama, flash B&H) since it was back order, so it is coming and will comment on this "blog" about the difference it makes and how it works since I have some questions myself.

The camera is lots of fun packed neatly in a small and attractive exterior.

View finder is not bad at all, but you have to leave focusing decisions to the camera ... and this camera seams to be able to do that specially with face detection--.

I love the feeling of shooting with no LCD --no chimping-- and just concentrate on keep on shooting to see the result later...

I have to get some batteries for the flash (AA x 2) but it is perfectly proportioned to this camera and will be the first time that I have a compact flash for a compact camera... really cute couple ...

That is all for now...

Happy new year

Bob Sumitro

Happy new year every body.

I bought my first DSLR, a canon 30d, almost 3 years ago and only upgraded to 7d last november. I think it will be quite some time before I upgrade again.

Though there's a possibility, if financial condition allows, that I may buy another DSLR, 5D2 comes to mind. Not to upgrade but because my daughter will use the 7D... the reason I bought the 7D is because my daughter has a freelance job photographing sport (regional basket ball competition) and I had sold my 30d.

As for lenses ... just bought a 24L mk2 last week (and loving it) so it will be some time before I buy another lens. I still want a 35 summilux M though... I wish it was cheaper :-(

bob

Mike Bailey

pro member
My upgrade just happened a few months ago. After several years of using the 5D and being quite satisfied with it, I wanted a second sort of similar body and did not want to go any farther in the megapixel preoccupation, so opted for a D700 with a 50mm 1.4/G, hoping it would be at least as good for me as the 5D. Much to my surprise, it was a good improvement. So this year the only upgrade in mind is the Nikon 24-70 lens, about half the reason I wanted a D700 in the first place!

http://bluerockphotography.com

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
1Ds mkIII to replace one of my ageing 5D's. I don't want or need 21 megapixels but since a recent card death between wedding shoot and computer - I need the dual cards...

If enough money falls into my lap as a result of shaking the money tree, I will buy the TSE 45. It's the right FL for my studio.

But I have no plans to upgrade my camera bodies or other lenses.

Asher Kelman

I now have a lot of architectural shots and I hate slow stitching. So I need a wide angle lens. I had a 17-35mm 2,8L Canon which I sold expecting to replace it but never did. My Zeiss lenses wont work with my 5DII. So what to buy?

The 17 mm and 24 mm TS by Canon are enticing since the part of the lens used without any shift is likely as perfect as one can get today. The advantage of the 17mm is one can have less to stitch. However, the 24mm can also take filters and has less flare. I'm wondering whether one can have a polarized sphere to put the 17mm lens inside or else whether one can prevent flare some other way.

The other alternative is the Nikon 14-24mm wide angle zoom used with an adapter.

So I'm in line for at least one of these and a 15mm fisheye to replace the one that went missing on a wedding shoot! The latter I'll use to make spherical panoramas for many small locations in the school buildings I'm photographing.

Asher