• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical fortnight

Hi! I was just wondering if this site was on a technical fortnight these days, a sort of festival. So I take advantage of this situation to ask about the "physics" of a weird behaviour filter in Photoshop. I name it The Displacement maps Filter.
Can anybody just explain me the dark reasons why it seems to always have a behaviour of its own and why when I achieve a result, I'm never able to reproduce it. There might be a mechanic.
Eh! yes I know about the white that displace and the black that displace in the other way, but...What about if the 2 images haven't got the same size?..When you blur your reference image can you calculate the amount of blur you got to add? I'm mostly talking about grayscale references, but maybe the inner spirit of color references can be pointed too?

I would like to know about a sort of recipe, because I'm fed up about trial and errors... When you spend hours in trials and errors in PS, it's because you didn't get it.

Thanks for enlighting my brain...;-)

Well, we do not always operate from Larousse here.
It's because it's a bit rude, but I don't blame you...

You would'nt say

"oh ****! I just farted 12 months worth salary"

when you meant to say

"Holy mother of Christ! I've just blown up my new 8-15 f/4 L USM"

What a lovely word. Thank you.

OPF is my bible, there might be Saints somewhere...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

It's because it's a bit rude, but I don't blame you...

You would'nt say

"oh ****! I just farted 12 months worth salary"

when you meant to say

"Holy mother of Christ! I've just blown up my new 8-15 f/4 L USM"
Actually, its a metaphor, and a rare one at that - you might never have encountered it!

Typical usage is this:

"What ever made you put that 6V battery in a 12V charger?"

"I dunno - must have had a brain fart."

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Sandrine,

Actually, its a metaphor, and a rare one at that - you might never have encountered it!

Typical usage is this:

Best regards,

Doug

That's right! Never encountered it! If I do, you might see me raising my eyebrows... I thought it was a word for word translation, my mistake.

Doug Kerr

Techncial fartnight

Hi, Sandrine,

In any case, note how we have all avoided coming to grips with the mysterious matter of the Displacement maps Filter in Photoshop!

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Brain Fart

Hi Doug,

Does this qualify?

Every Tuesday I pick up my friend Colin and drive into Bath for a game of snooker at the Civil Service Club. I put my car keys on the shelf below the score-board, because if I keep them in my pocket they dig into tender bits when I stretch over the table.
A couple of weeks ago we were driving home, just leaving Bath, when I started feeling in my pockets.
"What's up?" asked Colin.
"Just checking that I picked my keys up" I replied.

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

Does this qualify?

Every Tuesday I pick up my friend Colin and drive into Bath for a game of snooker at the Civil Service Club. I put my car keys on the shelf below the score-board, because if I keep them in my pocket they dig into tender bits when I stretch over the table.
A couple of weeks ago we were driving home, just leaving Bath, when I started feeling in my pockets.
"What's up?" asked Colin.
"Just checking that I picked my keys up" I replied.
That is an elegant, and certainly qualifying, example.

When Carla gets home from her day's outings (she has gone to Dallas, 70 miles away, on various medical, logistic, and social errands), I'll show that to her. She will certainly be able to relate it to things I do all the time!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Stuart,

That is an elegant, and certainly qualifying, example.

When Carla gets home from her day's outings (she has gone to Dallas, 70 miles away, on various medical, logistic, and social errands), I'll show that to her. She will certainly be able to relate it to things I do all the time!

Best regards,

Doug

Ever trying to write something with the Wacom pen? and shouting "bloody hell! these cheap pens they never work!"

Hi, Sandrine,

I love it!

Thanks for the observation.

Best regards,

Doug

So let's say I have a brain fart a least every weak. It's a long term condition.

Still sneaking around the problem? DOF, Confusion circles, optics laws, DNGs... everybody's very smart but then comes the big issue ! huh! BAD BOY! :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

So let's say I have a brain fart a least every weak. It's a long term condition.

Still sneaking around the problem? DOF, Confusion circles, optics laws, DNGs... everybody's very smart but then comes the big issue ! huh! BAD BOY! :)

Do I need to schedule a spanking?

Best regards,

Doug