• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Looking for a new camera

Antonio Correia

My first camera was a Pentax Spotmatic.

I took it to Timor but moved to Nikon EL (bought in Hong-Kong) on my way back in 1974.

dsc07260.jpg

Now it's different. Different times, different technologies...

specs.jpg

Doug Kerr

I said recently in this thread:

As a matter of record, the four-thirds standard does not prescribe a frame width or height nor an aspect ratio, but only the diagonal dimension (21.63 mm) (although it is customary to use a nominal 4:3 aspect ratio). Compared to the nominal diagonal dimension of a full-frame 35-mm format, the "full-frame 35-mm equivalent focal length factor" of a camera actually having that specified diagonal frame dimension would be 2.00.

I had not previously known (or remembered) that the basic design criterion for the four-thirds system was in fact that the frame diagonal (and thus the minimum required image circle for the system lenses) was chosen to be "exactly" half that of the 36 mm x 24 mm "full-frame 35-mm" frame (thus the rather peculiar looking value, 21.63 mm). (The diagonal for a 36.00 mm x 24.00 mm frame is 43.27 mm.)

But is also almost exactly twice the diagonal dimension of the archetype of the "2/3 inch" frame size (the "target" of the "2/3 inch" Vidicon image tube - 8.8 mm x 6.6 mm, diagonal 11.0 mm). (The "size" designation of course referred to the nominal diameter of the "bottle" of that family of Vidicon tubes, a convention drawn from the size notation of cathode ray tubes in terms of "bottle" diameter).

Thus the moniker "four thirds" for the new system. It is of course widely said to equally refer to the aspect ratio of the frame of the new system (expressed as a fraction) but, even though that is true of the system as embraced by the prominent supporting manufacturers, that is in fact seemingly not prescribed by the standard (based on admittedly limited research here just recently).

Others here may know more about this.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

If I'm not mistaken, Antonio would be getting his camera in november 2014 when he visits the USA. I wonder why the Panasonic wins out over the very impressive Olympus OMD M1 and siblings?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Back to the topic

When I saw this 43 minutes video where Ralfs list all the items - or at least the great majority of them - in the menu of the Panasonic GX7 I was very excited and interested.
As you may know I am going to the States in October/November and I am really interested in this toy.
I made a search on the price in US and in Germany. Thanks to the relation of the € / US$ it is convenient to get the camera in the US and I will buy it within the country and on line.
I found different prices. The trustable B&W has - at least today ! - a good price for the camera with the kit lens.
However, I would like to add a memory card for it with Wi-Fi capabilities.
Here again I ask for your help. In my Canon I have San Disk Extreme...
I also think it is very useful to have reliable and fast cards. How about the Extreme Pro ?
64 GB is a bit expensive but that depends how large are raw files...
Thank you for your patience ! :)

Robert Watcher

I'm sure that the card you mention will be just fine. I have only ever used relatively inexpensive cards. Although at one time years ago with my dslr cameras - I did buy the extreme Sandisk CF cards. I had about 10 of them ranging from 1GB to 4GB and had no issues with any of them. If the price is cheap enough, I would have no issue with Sandisk memory cards.

Currently I am using Lexar cards that I purchased a couple of years ago. With my new Pen cameras, I was now needing SD cards and with the video function it was recommended using Class 10 cards. Checking around, Walmart at that time had the cheapest 32GB card with a Class 10 designation for around $50. That Lexar 32GB SDHC Platinum II Class 10 is what I have been using ever since.

In reality though, the need for a card the size of 64GB would be far more useful if you are going to be doing quite a bit of video work. I shoot video and the 32GB goes a long ways for my needs. I mean if I was in the need of a new memory card and could get hold of a 64GB card for not much different than a 32GB card - I obviously would get the 64GB.

For stills shooting, I wouldn't really see the need for such big card and the extra expense that is involved. The 32GB Lexar card I described - - - will store over 3600 image files when I shoot jpeg - and over 1000 images if I were to shoot both RAW along with highest quality and size Jpeg. My camera that stores these numbers is my 16MP E-PL5. I still use 2GB and 4GB cards (Sandisk and Kingston brands) for my extra camera bodies and can shoot a lot with them if only stills.

The Lexar 32GB card is currently listed at only $14.95 at B&H I see:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895451-REG/Lexar_lsd32gbbsbna200_SDHC_Platinum_II_Class_10.html

Another brand that is quite good is Transcend:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913679-REG/transcend_ts32gsdu1_32gb_sdhc_uhs_1_memory_card.html

NOW - apparently it is a different story if you have a camera that shoots 4K video - - - then a whole different class of memory card is required so I hear.

------

Robert Watcher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Robert for your opinion and time spent with me.
You are right I do not need such a large card. As you pointed out yourself a 32 GB is enough.
Even if I make a movie of my grand-son playing and watching the ducks by the lake... :)
I added the cards to the basket just in case...

Thank you ! :)