• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boy at an Art Opening

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Last night I went to an art opening and met interesting people, mostly aquaintances of the French Artist. I saw a boy, perhaps 15 looking around, waiting and thinking. I took the picture with the 5D 50 1.2L at f3.5 using a slow shutter speed of 1/49th of a sec AV to blur the image. A minor amount of PS to bring out the pastel effect.

_MG_4679BoyatArtShow_v_2.jpg

Boy at An Art Opening 2007

I like the ambiguity of the image and the presence of the young man. I hope you might perhaps enjoy it too.

Asher

It looks out-of-focus, not blurred from slow shutter... so technically, I'm perplexed by your comment.

The photo has a definite mood - mysterious, other worldly. I think the coloring feels feminine.

The face is so anonymous that it begins to take on an alien presence. Also, I'm not sure I would've been able to identify the gender if you hadn't specified.

The hands, being blurred, looked like bare hips to me at first glance, almost like the subject was wearing a one-piece bathing suit! =D

Asher Kelman

Of course Ed, it's defocussed too!

I thought he looked gentle too. Deconstruction, as everything, has ben done before. I wished to extract what I imagine. I tried to provide some sensual ambiguity.

Asher

Did you consciously merge the hands with the bottom of the frame/crop?

I ask because I find that I sometimes do very creative things subconsciously (some call it luck). However, I also find that if I can surface more things to a conscious level, I can be creative more consistently.

Asher Kelman

Did you consciously merge the hands with the bottom of the frame/crop?

I ask because I find that I sometimes do very creative things subconsciously (some call it luck). However, I also find that if I can surface more things to a conscious level, I can be creative more consistently.
I wish I could say definitely yes. However, I just wanted to put a lot of blank space above him and have sufficent of the hands and arms to show his attitude of being relaxed, open and waiting.

Asher