• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Libertad!

Made for the "Freedom or Oppression" contest, this image has been modeled after the propaganda posters of the 1970-ies I grew up with

Libertad!

174964097-O.jpg

C&C welcome!

(Asher, you know I could not pass this up:)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I really like it!

As a former child of the late 60's and early 70's, it reminds me of the times we climbed the fences at school to start a protest or two. Very turbulent times. I like the treatment with the black and white and the effects on the image - very powerful statement.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Made for the "Freedom or Oppression" contest, this image has been modeled after the propaganda posters of the 1970-ies I grew up with

Libertad!

C&C welcome!

(Asher, you know I could not pass this up:)

Hi Nikolai!

Is this your famous barbed wire fence with the hills in the background?
I like the stark concept. I'd rather see the fence, as in your pictures, with the wires going obliquely across the screen, a diagonal that would be a powerful compositional element. Next, in line with Liberty, I'd like blood coming from the hand! When a hand is pierced, a powerful myth in our cultures, even if you are an atheist, bolsters the emotional impact. I'd love a ragged shirtsleeve since this indicates struggle.

Is this after the fact?

Asher

Asher,

Hi Nikolai!

Is this your famous barbed wire fence with the hills in the background?
I like the stark concept. I'd rather see the fence, as in your pictures, with the wires going obliquely across the screen, a diagonal that would be a powerful compositional element. Next, in line with Liberty, I'd like blood coming from the hand! When a hand is pierced, a powerful myth in our cultures, even if you are an atheist, bolsters the emotional impact. I'd love a ragged shirtsleeve since this indicates struggle.

Is this after the fact?

Asher

Yes, it sure is my favorite barbed wire in my favorite hills:)

Fence wasn't menacing enough, so I cut it out.

Diagonal : hmm, maybe, since I'm going for poster anyway. I'll think about it.

Blood: I was thinking about it myself even before making the image, but it didn't make the first cut. I'll play with it, see how it goes.

Thank you very much for your comments!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Why former? Did you give up?

- DL

No - I did not give up but I am a former child. Well, maybe not. I like to play sometimes. But battle the authority figures?- nah, I've done some policital activism/lobbying in recent years and even co-wrote a piece of legislation in California (It went to committee and died). Maybe that's why Nik's image evoked some feelings.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes Nikolai,

Now there's more pain and sacrifice!

I'd consider starting the blood from half way between the clenched fingers. Also maybe rotate counter-clockwise a little to add a strong feeling of forward movement. At present it's just up. A revolution has to rise and go forward.

Impressive.

Asher