• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The train now arriving at Platform 4 is the 1735...........

StuartRae

Since I retired I have no need to catch the train to the big city, but last week I had to go to Bristol, and the train was easier and cheaper than the car.
As I was waiting on the platform, I was reminded of a photo I took a couple of years ago.

waiting.jpg

Stuart Rae: Waiting for the train

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

I know your pictures often have vivivd color. Here too there's a delightful red tile roof mottled with the decorative products of the bird's digestion, LOL! I really think this might also be looked at in B&W with advantage. After all, train tracks and locomotives do well in that medium.

Asher.

fahim mohammed

Stuart, I like the bold treatment. Somehow it reminds me of me and my friends ( all retired ) sitting in
the winter sun reminiscing about summer!!!

Best.

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
I know your pictures often have vivivd color. ........ I really think this might also be looked at in B&W with advantage
In which case you're probably also aware of my aversion to B&W conversions. I'll give it go though.

Hi Fahim,

fahim mohammed said:
Stuart, I like the bold treatment. Somehow it reminds me of me and my friends ( all retired ) sitting in the winter sun reminiscing about summer!!!

Thanks. In reality the image doesn't stand up on its own, only in conjunction with the thought of a line of passengers waiting in their sober city suits for the train.
May you and your friends share many more happy memories.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
waiting.jpg

Stuart Rae: Waiting for the train

Asher Kelman said:
I know your pictures often have vivivd color. ........ I really think this might also be looked at in B&W with advantage

Hi Asher,

In which case you're probably also aware of my aversion to B&W conversions. I'll give it go though.

Stuart,

That is sometimes the case with photographers who have mastered color well. Nicolas Claris too is so skilled in color that he has little interest for draining that beauty either. Nevertheless, in some cases one of three or more conditions hold:

1. The colors, like artificial colors of clothes and storefronts, send their own emotional messages, wrong, conflicting or out of keeping with the picture's theme or preventing the balance the photographer sees possible.
  2. The image is about texture and shape made dimensional and given mood and character by unique quality of light.
  3. The subject is bolstered by a myth, metaphor, vision or memory of a subject mostly set in B&W.

The latter possibility seemed to me to hold in the case of the wonderful rich mage you share of "sober city suits", a poetic and nostalgic memory for me with bowler hats and rolled umbrellas too! From your reply to Fahim, that follows, this might be one rare occasion where B&W might indeed please you.

Fahim,

In reality the image doesn't stand up on its own, only in conjunction with the thought of a line of passengers waiting in their sober city suits for the train.
May you and your friends share many more happy memories.

Regards,

Stuart