• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mars and the Moon

Doug Kerr

I'm sorry I didn't give this info earlier, but it was just now that I "heard about it".

The following has been circulating via e-mail:

Today (August 27, 2010):

• Mars will be closer to the earth than it has been for thousands of years.
• Mars will appear in the sky near the Moon.
• Mars will appear to be almost the size of the Moon (in angular diameter).

Here are the facts:

On August 27, 2003:

• Mars was closer to the earth than it had been over 60,000 years.
• Its apparent diameter was about 1/73 the apparent diameter of the Moon.

Today (August 27, 2010):

• Jupiter (not Mars) will appear in the sky near the moon.
• Mars has an apparent diameter (angular diameter) of around 1/416 of the angular diameter of the Moon.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Where are the pictures, Doug? Surely thousands of amateur astronomers photograph the night sky and would report this with pictures. I have enough trouble photographing the moon with 340mm of extended focal length with my 5DII. t would be fun to have a motor driven telescope that could track objects and take pictures. However, not on my budget, LOL!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Doug, Asher..

I purposely did not mention this earlier ( we knew about it for some days! ) on OPF.

How else could Doug, Asher and myself get together for the next time such a close encounter might happen! I need time to prepare, get my visa ( which takes a Looooooong time ), travel ( Looooong time ) etc.

How about then you guys, let's meet in L.A. in 2287. I shall send you the date and time.

Catch you folks then.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
• Jupiter (not Mars) will appear in the sky near the moon.

• Mars has an apparent diameter (angular diameter) of around 1/416 of the angular diameter of the Moon.

I was expecting pictures to show Jupiter and wondering how on earth I was going to resolve Mars with a 70-200 and a x1.4 extender, LOL to know if you were right. After all, you too could be spreading rumors about Jupiter flirting with the Moon instead of militant Mars!

Asher

Hi, Asher,

Report what? Did you read my note? Are you just pulling my leg?

Best regards,

Doug

So there!

Asher