• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It's mayhem

out there
everything's going weird!

The cars on the roads
P1020930.jpg

the crops
P1020931.jpg

the leisure center
P1020932.jpg

the houses
P1020933.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
P1020935.jpg

Sandrine Bascouert: The Wedding Cake

Sandrine,

I like this symbolic image. Perhaps the core of a developing idea for a theme?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
P1020935.jpg

Sandrine,

I like this symbolic image. Perhaps the core of a developing idea for a theme?

It might be simplified in B&W. Here's a 30 second version:

P1020935_2BW.jpg

BW edit and crop ADK

Asher

My intend was just to put in perspective the chaos that snow falls here has occurred...It looks like WWIII, a bit like Mark's comment on the snow in Scotland... But you're right, maybe not this one, but there a lot to do with a camera outside. In addition as long as you can control your exposure a bit, snow always come with a wonderful light...

Ken Tanaka

pro member
The problem here, aside from the rawness of the snaps, is that you've not conveyed "mayhem" at all. To those of us who live in places where heavy snowfalls are commonplace the photos are a yawn.

No, if you want to show the "mayhem" caused by snow in your city you're going to have to actually fo forth into the streets to show the incongruity and unusual inconvenience of heavy snow in Brighton. A much more challenging job.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Ken,
I'm sure the "mayhem" is strickly from one's perspective.
To an ex-pat from France now living in the UK (and probably for the rest of the U.K populace) it's dreadful.
To a winter hardened, life-long Chicago resident like yourself, it's "a dusting"!
I remember back many years ago when I was a snot-nosed staff engineer at a L.I defense contractor.
I drew the short straw and had to do a 1 year residency at Bell Aerospace in Buffalo.
I'd hear over the course of a morning's test runs: "flurries before noon".
I'd go out to my rental car and find a foot of snow on the roof!
To me, it was mayhem!

I think I'm still lacking English at that point....Just the Perspective...
I was living in the south of France, know what ski was (until I wounded my knee), Part of my family is from the Alps (and when I mean the Alps, it's villages stuck all winter not the ski resorts)
No it's not Mayhem
no it's nothing, it's all gone now..
but it made the headlines with accents of massive destruction.
it was second degree...

No, it wasn't mayhem

Funny how titles can send things off in the wrong direction. Consider Mitch Alland's insistence on calling his Klein/Moriyama-styled Bangkok street shots "Hysteria." But with these pictures, if the intent was to show an attractive snowfall totally not befitting the climate, than the bedecked objects should be more out of keeping with the weather -- delicate lawn chairs, perhaps, or beach cabanas. The lawn furniture shown would survive a Chicago winter. If the intent was to show mayhem caused by the unusual weather, then include some people.

scott