• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mardi Gras Parade

Chris Calohan

There are two images in this series: the first I'd originally titled "Fat Tuesday," but because some folks in another forum thought I was referencing the two seated to the right as a point out to their "largeness." What I was really trying to convey was the connections they were making though totally oblivious to each other.

The second one struck my funny bone in how little it takes to change the simple meaning of a word: Transportation. I guess maybe my backstory on this is for a number of years I mentored teachers through National Board Certification. One art teacher in a rural area of North Carolina was speaking rather excitedly about the new technology in her classroom, which was nothing more than a VCR and a TV. The more I read, the more I realized technology could be a pencil to someone who previously only had a stick of charcoal from last night's fire.

16289422457_5f1ae6b289_b_d.jpg

Connections: Chris Calohan

16280949218_57c3acb172_b_d.jpg

Transportation: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are two images in this series: the first I'd originally titled "Fat Tuesday," but because some folks in another forum thought I was referencing the two seated to the right as a point out to their "largeness." What I was really trying to convey was the connections they were making though totally oblivious to each other.

The second one struck my funny bone in how little it takes to change the simple meaning of a word: Transportation. I guess maybe my backstory on this is for a number of years I mentored teachers through National Board Certification. One art teacher in a rural area of North Carolina was speaking rather excitedly about the new technology in her classroom, which was nothing more than a VCR and a TV. The more I read, the more I realized technology could be a pencil to someone who previously only had a stick of charcoal from last night's fire.

16289422457_5f1ae6b289_b_d.jpg

Connections: Chris Calohan

16280949218_57c3acb172_b_d.jpg

Transportation: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

I like them both. The first is very direct. We don't need any art scholarship background to see what's going on. We connect with the social happenings instantly and recognize the bondings. There are eye connections on the left and right but nothing between the two sets. Beautifully shown and no great need for artistic analysis!!!!

But the second has no faces, eyes, gestures or poses to check and interpret. Instead, there's a clearly shared a motif of an acute angle: made by people's legs and the sides of the sign in the b.g. Because we have no clues from the peoples social messaging systems, this odd view invites and is now more amenable to musing, fantasy and surreal interpretations!!!

I didn't "get" idea of transportation! Once you use the term, Connections", then I get to connect the elements in the picture. So, that vertical piece of wood between the legs of the sign and the dangling arm, if applied to the legs and thighs of the women make for an interesting derivative as the symbols float around and rearrange themselves in my mind.

Asher

Chris Calohan

The parked Jeep is transportation, the woman walking is transportation and the baby carried is also transportation. Originally, I was setting up for just one person to walk in sync with the sign, thus making the triangulation motif but quite quickly the sidewalks began filling with parade watchers and I had but one or two exposures available. The jeep came in just as I was making the first shot and I had to wait until it stopped for the second framing.
I wonder now if I should make this a square crop and omit the jeep altogether and leave it untitled.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The parked Jeep is transportation, the woman walking is transportation and the baby carried is also transportation. Originally, I was setting up for just one person to walk in sync with the sign, thus making the triangulation motif but quite quickly the sidewalks began filling with parade watchers and I had but one or two exposures available. The jeep came in just as I was making the first shot and I had to wait until it stopped for the second framing.
I wonder now if I should make this a square crop and omit the jeep altogether and leave it untitled.

That's so interesting that you also had the triangular connection in mind from the outset. That means I was correct in reading it that way! I think you should examine as a print, as many presentations as you feel instinctively about. This is one and the transport are about your feelings, so print them and then decide.

I'd crop away the jeep to better isolate the strong triangle motif from distraction, unless the jeep is needed for some reason you have in mind.

Asher