• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is this too much?

nyschulte

Hi,

While learning new skills, i was just wondering if ths is not too much of retouching?

This is one picture 'as it was shot'

normal__D205952_brd.jpg

From the same serie the retouched one:

normal__D205961_brd.jpg

I did only retouch the skin :), not yet the black cloth :(.

Thank you for your comments and best wishes for 2007.

Nicolas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

Yes! Then perhaps not depending on the final use!

This picture is wonderful for an already girl-whipped mystified boyfriend or doting father!

However, for a glamor shot I'll venture a few points I notice:

She has great cheek bones which had some definition and could be shown as a great sculptural feature with good makeup but this has been smoothed over.

The junction of the wonderfully glowing screen ends abruptly on the upper forward. The hair becomes rather pale compared to the more robust cvolor she started with.

The sweater has accumulated hair!!!

Her cleavage, a major part of glamor in todays world has been taken away!

If you were doing this for a client or friend and know what they want, this picture is wonderful and gentle, carry a magic that has been well installed over the skin imperfections.

I would say if you are in charge of the shoot and have options for the price paid, then getting a makeup helper or artist and a hair stylist is a must. This hair is messy and too much a challenge for post-production.

However, you have done a wonderful thing for the young lady and I'm sure she's delighted.

Asher

johnhawk

To my mind , perhaps there`s a bit too much retouching ; there`s always a danger that visual elements of the sitters personality are lost with the removal of facial blemishes .
Anyway , that`s just my opinion , but I do prefer the upper portrait . I just wish that I could produce a basic picture as good as yours .

Dave Mitrovic

Nicolas,

I agree with Luiz (who did a really nice work for somebody lacking much experience with this type of picture) on the importance of keeping at least the hair and eyes sharp. I am aware - from my inital contact with Photoshop, of how easy it is to fall for the temptation of blurring all blemishes away. However, as your skills evolve, you will understand how this method fail to mend imperfections. In most instances it leaves the photo looking unfocused. Having some spare time on my hands today, I took a shot at the portrait you posted. My personal style could be categorized as extravagantly glamorous, and it is not for everybody (especially if aspiring for true realism). Asher definitely has a point with the hair (and the cheekbones, for that matter), which would require additional hours in post-production to turn it perfect. Finally, I work in a Adobe RGB enviroment, so the colors could be off depending on the color profile your screen is set for.

normal__D205952_brd_After.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Dave,

A skilled job! This is done with some talent and perception of what makes a woman beautiful.

Wide open eyes is a sign of health that we react to so you widened the outer portions of the eyes but did so on an anatomical plane so it is not obviouslt distorted.

The cheekbones gives the girl class and elegance, these you have kept and enhhances but it's subtle.

The hair line has been brought down and this reduces an empty forehead. Pretty drastic but it look good.

All this without the girl looking like a different person!

I find that to my taste the sculpting around the upper lip and nose perhaps a little harsh, but newvertheless effective.

The skin texture is glamorous but I'd add back 25% of the origninal texture, faults and all. However, with the eyes altered and the hairline down, only you can do that.

I see that you believe a "cleavage" should be centered on her chest and you have corrected that accordingly and also the sweater's disorder. :)

All corrections have to be done with a goal in mind of where the final photograph will end up. Women like pictures they can send to their parents to show how they have blossomed and a picture different from holiday snapshots which anyone can take.

So fantasy is always something to be created. If she wants her bumps she can look in the mirror have another cup of coffee. Still, for family use, I think adding back a percentage of the untouched complexion always add some gentle aura to the picture and is appreciated. We don't want the girl to look to plastic.

Certainly you demonstrate a lot of skill and experience and your contribution is especially appreciated.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Here is my take, some airbrush on the skin blemishes, curves on the eyes only to make them appear wither, and liquify filter on the right side of the image, to make it look more symmetrical.

nys1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Armes

Hi Dave,

I agree with Asher on all points. I find that most of the retouches that you've made are well executed, and I appreciate the added cheekbone definintion, however the skin looks very plasticy and I find the eyes just too sharp. It's too obviously retouched for my tastes.

I think that Luiz's contribution hit's the nail on the head as far as the skin goes. It still looks natural. I'd like to see a version which combines Luiz's skin with your other retouches.

Tim

Dave Mitrovic

Asher and Tim,

Thank you for the comments - I appreciate it. The retouching I did on this particular portrait was mostly just to illustrate what all could be done to it. Post-production holds a legion of possibilities, and this is just one of them. As far as the skin texture goes, my personal preference is pure plasticity (duh! :)). Writing from experience, this varies greatly between people. Some of my clients want it removed completely, while others desire to keep a sense of realism (all of which I am adaptable to). Furthermore, to discuss texture in small-sized photos as this sort of fails the purpose, since the tiny pimples are the sole element suggesting any in the first place. With them cloned away, left is only a smooth and miscolored surface. To debate textures in-depth, a full version of the photograph would be beneficial. In any case, I do look forward to future replies within this topic. :)

Asher Kelman

Dave Mitrovic said:
Asher and Tim,
Post-production holds a legion of possibilities, and this is just one of them. As far as the skin texture goes, my personal preference is pure plasticity (duh! :)). .............To debate textures in-depth, a full version of the photograph would be beneficial. In any case, I do look forward to future replies within this topic. :)

Your presence, Dave is a great benefit to us.

We do need your style and perspective. I do hope it will make some people react by wanting to leanr or wanting to strangle you, LOL!!!

At least you provide a skill and insight to bring about these changes which a lot of people want. Forget the truth. They want that look.

However, I like more of the gentler look of Vogue and the Saks book and the like, where skin has perfection, satin silk texture and for the moment utter believablility that an angel has been sent from heaven and dressed in Yve St Laurent!

Asher

Dave Mitrovic

Asher,

I am glad you are seeing it that way. As part of a forum, I do believe we should exchange opinions and hopefully learn something from each other. I would love to take part of different interpretations of this portrait - and others, as an artistic expression. And as you mentioned, a majority of the fashion media out there are aiming for a perfectionistic look. My major influences are the works of Markus Klinko & Indrani (http://www.markusklinko-indrani.com), Douglas Bizzaro & Elizaebth Moss (http://www.dbem.net), and Pierre & Gilles (http://www.optimistique.com/pierre.et.gilles/). Which one are yours (this question goes out to all of you)?

nyschulte

Well, ...

Thank you all for your time.

I must say that Dave's work was a little shock for me at first glance.
After some thinking (thank you Asher for pointing out the changes made by Dave) i start to see what can be done .
Furthermore, since the time i did the initial post , i start now as well to see how this can be done.

I may actually be a bit too involved personally as i consider that young lady almost belonging to my family, so i never considered the more glamourous approach of Dave.

But, i must say that Dave opened up a lot of new directions for me to look into !!

Again, many thanks.

Nicolas

Theo Wallis

I found a great tutorial on airbrushing for the purposes of magazine/editorial/fashion photography. Am I allowed to post a link to another forum?

Paul Bestwick

pro member
yea.............bring it on. This is the bomb........this is what I want out of a forum. Useful information & skill sharing.............pick of the threads.
A big thanks & kudos to all who so willingly share.
"A rising tide lifts all ships"

Cheers,

Paul