• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Real perspective correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Kerr

If I ever used Photoshop, I would already know part of the answer to this, but I don't, so I don't.

I sometimes have to correct for perspective effects in post-processing when dopng something like taking a photgraph of a quilt design when I can't shoot it head on (and don't have a tilt/shift lens either) but want a rectilinear mapping of the object in the image.

My image editor has what is described as a perspective correction facility, but it turns out that it really isn't. What it allows is to take an oblect containing the original image and stretch it along one axis and "make it trapezoidal" as well.

This gives me a representation of the rectanguar object that is rectangular, all right, and with the right overall aspect ratio, but not rectilinear. The reason of course is that the geometry of the shot results in a non-linear stretching of the object features from "top to bottom" of the shot.

So, for example, if I was shooting a quilt made up of square blocks, when I am done the blocks at the original "far side" will not be square in the image, although those at the near side are square.

Another way to say this is that I can fix the image so the vertical edges of buildings are straight lines in the image, but diagonal lines on the face of the building (as on the "Dos Equis" building in Dallas) are not.

Will Photoshop let me actually deal with this? I haven't played yet, and the discussion in the help system isn't encouraging.

If not, are there other tools to do this in postprocessing?

Thanks.

Ray West

Hu Doug,

If you are starting with a flat surface, then the free transform may work better. In most cases, the perspective correction is worse than useless. (post a sample over to 'Tim's tips' for folk to try.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.