• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Sawasdeekap from Bangkok

Nigel Allan

That means 'hello' in Thai.

Here are a couple from a workshop I attended recently. Not crazy about the lighting but I liked the poses

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Nigel,

An interesting workshop.What did they demonstrate, or did they just provide the lighting and the models with the poses?

Were the participants able to direct the models? How many photographers to a model?

I've been spending some time on these pictures and am still intrigued? Are these in final form, as for an exhibit or sale? I was wondering about where they stand in your scheme of presentation.

I ask because so many further creative ideas spring from these poses.

Are you taking this further in any way?

Asher

Nigel Allan

Asher, it was a 'fashion' workshop where about 10 photographers jostled for shots (lol) of a handful of models in different rooms of an apartment wearing different new designers'clothes. It was to showcase the clothes. I was not thrilled with the lighting or location personally but you have to work with what you have, but these poses were ones that I specifically asked the models to do for me once other photographers had moved onto another room. I will upload others to this thread if you wish so I can show you some of the other results...some interesting but not personal favourites.

Some of the techniques were useful and new to me such as painting with light and using rear curtain sync with flash such as this, although my frustration at the results was entirely my own fault as I turned up without a tripod, which made my experiences with this part sub standard:

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Some of the techniques were useful and new to me such as painting with light and using rear curtain sync with flash such as this, although my frustration at the results was entirely my own fault as I turned up without a tripod, which made my experiences with this part sub standard:

Nigel,

You succeeded on three counts! First, you experienced the technique, adapted to the conditions and learned. Then your pictures work! That's what counts and this one especially! Kudos. Lastly, you whet our appetite for more such active painting with light. I appreciate learning something new and so interesting.

I hope you will make the set up at home and get your son to be the model! In any case, this is an avenue worth more exploration.

It has life and immediacy and connects with us.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Could you explain the timing of the entire painting procedure and the exposure for the model?

Ha ha, putting me on the spot here but I'll try to recall as much as I can.

We set our cameras to manual, set our exposure to 'bulb' and set up rear curtain sync. The windows were blacked out and the room was pretty dark. Of course you focus on the model first while the lights were up. There was a flash set up on the model which happened to be an optical slave although it could have been any flash set to trigger with your shutter release and other light, I guess it would be called a modelling light. Because of the long exposure you must use a tripod but I didn't have one with me. I borrowed a monopod for some but it is not as stable obviously.

Lights down, open your shutter and someone takes a flashlight and 'paints' patterns in the air trying not to go in front of the model. Once they are done, they leave the scene and you trigger the flash, thereby freezing the model with it and shutting your shutter.

That's about as much as I can remember, although I am sure there are members here who will be able to fill in the gaps as there are some very accomplished photographers in this forum. Next time I will try to be better prepared.

The exposure was roughly 16 secs. Here are two shots showing the shot in colour and the set up showing the flashlight operator leaving the scene before the final flash

Last edited: