• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sony announces the new A7rII

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
399 Phase-Detect AF Points
Internal 4K video
Weather-Resistant Body
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
ISO 102,400
some kind of electronic shutter (I don't understand the limitation on that one)
Shipping in August

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/dkw5/index.html

Thanks Jerome for such great news!

This is the camera that can hold my MF lenses and give them handholding capability.

I already love the A7R so much for my work that Canon Cameras hardly get out of the drawer!

Asher

I've ordered mine!

I've been waiting and watching the pro level full frame offerings for years waiting to jump on board. Almost got an A7r as a retirement present to myself, but after reading about the shutter vibration I passed. The A7rII looks like my dream camera realized (other than the price) so I pre-ordered from B&H and got a 55mm 1.8 to start off. I'll return here to post some first impressions once I get it (they are now saying it will ship around Aug. 5th and I was one of the first to pre-order so expect mine soon after.

Asher Kelman

I've been waiting and watching the pro level full frame offerings for years waiting to jump on board. Almost got an A7r as a retirement present to myself, but after reading about the shutter vibration I passed. The A7rII looks like my dream camera realized (other than the price) so I pre-ordered from B&H and got a 55mm 1.8 to start off. I'll return here to post some first impressions once I get it (they are now saying it will ship around Aug. 5th and I was one of the first to pre-order so expect mine soon after.

Jim & Jerome,

I would have already ordered one myself, but the A7R is already my dream camera! The vibration issue is critical with focal lengths over 100 mm and slow shutter speeds.

I use a lot of electronic flash and either the 28mm 2.0 Anniversary Distagon, the brilliant 50mm summicron M 1.4 or else the beautiful Zeiss 55 Sonnar 1.8. I lost the 35mm Zeiss lens, unfortunately. So the vibration of the shutter is no big deal.

However, I would have ordered the new camera by now,. but I have to sell some gear first. The A7RII may turn out to be the best built professional digital camera ever. No focus adjustment needed, 5 axis stabilization for all my exotic lenses and a huge array of AF phase contrast AF points over 2/3 of the surface area of the sensor.

There seems to be no other camera in its league for dynamic range at 44 MP count in a light weight body that is adaptable to almost any lens. Think about it, for $80-180 one can get wonderful vintage lenses from the various generations of Zeiss Jena - Meyer 0- Pentacon - Pentax and more at focal lengths of 28 mm to 135mm! Plus it can use your favorite modern Nikon, Zeiss or Leica mount lenses! Even more fantastic is that it will AF with Canon lenses using the Metabones Adapters. Metabones III needs to be sent back to Japan for a firmware update but the Metabones IV has a USB adapter for one to do one's own firmware upgrade if required!

Good luck and happy shooting with the new Camera.

Look I'm to the Canon FD 21mm lens as it is superb and inexpensive.

Asher
\

I got my A7RII a few days ago, but due to work around the house haven't had time to get out and about with it yet. Here are a couple of crops from hand held shots in my garden this morning. 55mm 1.8, F11, ISO 200, 1/13th hand held. So far so good. Hope to get out on an overnight hike this weekend.

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

I got my A7RII a few days ago, but due to work around the house haven't had time to get out and about with it yet. Here are a couple of crops from hand held shots in my garden this morning. 55mm 1.8, F11, ISO 200, 1/13th hand held. So far so good. Hope to get out on an overnight hike this weekend.

Wonderful shots, and it sounds like a fabulous machine.

By the way, it works best on this forum if images presented are resized to not more than about 900 px wide. Otherwise most people get into a scroll bar situation.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, I went back to flickr and got the 800 px version and edited my post. I'm used to my 30" monitor and prefer larger versions of pictures, but I guess those who want to can just click the pics to see the larger size.

Doug Kerr

Doug, I went back to flickr and got the 800 px version and edited my post. I'm used to my 30" monitor and prefer larger versions of pictures, but I guess those who want to can just click the pics to see the larger size.

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The choice of the 55mm f 1.8 is a good one! I have excellent results with it as a general purpose, street photography and portrait lens.

Although I'n very skilled at MF photography, autofocus is needed in many situations outside the studio, especially when people or animals move around!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm always subject to 'scroll bar situations'. I don't know how many pixels wide my iPad screen is but your pics shrunk the print to the size found at the bottom of a loan contract from Westpac.

Nice pics Jim. You couldn't get that on a Box Brownie. How does the camera look on you? What colour is it? One thing is for sure. You'll be able to take really good pictures with it.

I was thinking of buying one but I might wait until the next model. I believe it's called the A7r11D2. It has a blue light force field built in.

Cheers