• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Parcel Arrived from China! The Chamonix 8x10

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ever since I first saw my late father-in-law's 11x14 Deardorff camera I have been fascinated with large format film. We have, I feel, an innate affinity for such simple and well made works of the hand.

Well I want enlargments of landscapes, people and buildings and not compromise. Well, I've tried stitching and that works well. In fact I'd say I'm an addict. But it occurred to me I ought to now reconsider the simple wooden Large Format Camera. I already own several 4x5 cameras, a Crown Graphic and A Busch Pressman. They are limited in movements but quite functional. I want to explore the possibilities of designing planes of focus that selected what I want from the background. Since it means a new camera with swings tilts and shifts, I thought, let's get this right first time. So I decided to really go "big". After all, with just a moderately good scanner, I'd not have any further jealosy and lust for the MFDB, at least, that's the theory! Scan a piece of 8x10 film at just 2000 dpi and one has a super file to work with. Alternatively, 8"x10" makes impressive contact prints using silver gelatin, platinum or other chemistry. IOW, this camera can be an analog-digital multipurpose camera for me!

Well today a simple unimpressive cardboard box came by US Post Office, wrapped in sealing tape. Inside, safely packed with styrofoam panels, a sturdy handsome and well made carrying bag: the womb for my the 8"x10" test camera!

Chamonix_MG_3366_Camera_in_Case.jpg

Chamonix 8x10 Camera: "Walnut in Womb" Photo by Asher Kelman

Chamonix_MG_3374_Arrival_03_flat.jpg

Chamonix 8x10 Camera: First Breath of California air Photo by Asher Kelman

Chamonix Kindly made a reduction back to take 4x5 Graflok back attachments. This I'll be discussing later. The idea is to be able to use 4x5 sheet film, pack film from Fuji or Kodak, Polaroid film, a 6x7 back and a digital stitching back (review to appear shortly).

Chamonix_MG_3356_4x5_Adapter_glass_protector.jpg

Chamonix 8x10 Camera 4x5 Reduction Back: Carbon Fiber Protector over Ground Glass Photo by Asher Kelman

Chamonix_MG_3360_4x5_Adapter.jpg

Chamonix 4x5 Reduction back: Seeing Color Photo by Asher Kelman

So there it is, a new baby. I will be reviewing it and will report to you.

Asher

Thanks to Hugo Zhang for getting this for me so fast!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I first have to set it up. For that I need my new Ries tripod to arrive! In the meantime I'll gingerly see how it balances on one of my gitzo tripods. There's lenses to mount, film to buy, developing (hmm!!) and ideas a million on what to photograph.

Asher

It looks fantastic, Asher. I've seen one of the 4x5's up close, and it's a fine camera. How much does this one weigh, in case I might be thinking of replacing my ultralight 8x10" Gowland PocketView at some point?

Asher Kelman

David,

This is one of the most beautiful cameras I've seen. there are just 8 workman I believe making these cameras and it's a slow careful process. The 8x10 camera weighs 3820g in Canadian White maple and 3920g in Black Walnut.

I have chosen Black Walnut for the Camera and Canadian White Maple for the film holders.

I have not even opened the camera except for looking at the Graflok back on the 4x5 reduction back to check it works with my Crown Graphic 6x7 rollfilm back, and it fits perfectly. Well it should since I had kind Hugo Zhang personally take the rollfilm holder to China with him just to make sure. I'll be describing that separately.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
New baby? No, new Mistress...

Congratulations on the new Mistress, Asher. Quite sexy. Weight is about 9 lbs if my math is correct so portable enough to bring over my new baby...to my studio to play with if you choose!

Asher Kelman

Congratulations on the new Mistress, Asher. Quite sexy. Weight is about 9 lbs if my math is correct so portable enough to bring over my new baby...to my studio to play with if you choose!
Kathy,

It is so portable but one has to also think of lenses and film holders plus the tripod. Not really any issue for visitng your studio! I'm looking forward to a shoot together.

I Have not yet mounted a lens in it. Chamonix uses Sinar lens boards and I do have one. I'll deal with that tomorrow. I'm cross posting also in LF forum but will try to keep the posts here succinct and complete.

I'll show what I think is significant at each stage. I have purchased a used A 100 Ries Wooden Field Tripod with an A200 Ries Tripod Head. This will make a very sturdy platform. This is needed especially when out in the elements. For now, I've taken the risk of setting up the camera on a Manfrotto Carbon fiber tripod, after checking with the muses that it would be safe inside! So let's look at the mechanisms for lengthening the bellows.

First, not marked, theres' a series of 5 holes into which the front standard can fit and be secured with the black knob in at the lower open base of the front standard.

Next, at the rear of the camera there are two independant ways of adding length. The rear walnut sliders take each side of the rear bellow forward or back. A little assynetry allows about a 15 degree lateral reaer swing too.

The fine worm drive place center below the rear standard, allows for both major forward movement of the machined metal base holding the front standard as well as providing convenient and subtle focus adjustments too. that I still have to test with a lens!

Chamonix_Extention_Adjustments.jpg

This is fun, I guess the next best thing to a train set. I'm learning how it works by careful inspection as there is no instruction manual. However, the camera is very well designed and the adjustments once they are discovered are practical and easy to use.

Asher

Next I wil deal with how true the Camera is!

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Asher

How exciting that you have a new baby, I would love to use a camera like this in Scotland, you really must bring it over here sometime. I look forward to seeing more of your results, Congratulations!

This is fun, I guess the next best thing to a train set.

Asher, congratulations with this new tool, nothing wrong with having fun at the same time. I can imagine the excitement, it's going to be much better than a train set, I'm sure. Besides the workmanship of the tool, the creative impulse from working with a LF camera is also something to value.

Thanks for sharing your exploration.

Bart

Asher Kelman

It's a beauty Asher, enjoy!

Yes and I must thank you for feeding my interest! We plan to come up to S.F. for a Chamonix shoot. I'll bring the 7x17 too and you can get together the guys! :)

First here's the detail of the front standard and behind on each sides there's the slot in the Black Walnut that allows the bellows to extend. This gives about 15 degrees of rear swing too when used asymmetrically. Notice the front standard is set in the 2cd threaded hole in the machined base. This is a simple procedure and allows the lens to be progressively set back,as you wish. The wing nut is also undone to put the camera away and then the front standard is inverted (without the lens) to lie on the base. The camera is then folded shut.

Chamonix_MG_3435_Front_Standard.jpg

Now to your request, the camera fully extended:

Chamonix_MG_3446_Full_extention.jpg

The Specifications for bellows total draw 680mm
Measured fully extended 673mm
Specifications for minimum extension 95mm
Measured minimum mm

The missing 7mm extension is accounted for perhaps in where one measures. I did my best to measure from the back of the lensboard to the front of the ground glass.

I have yet to mount a heavy lens, but the Chamonix 8x10, so far, appears close to being true at full extension and pretty sturdy. I used a large spirit level andf tested ther camera base and back for it being orthogonal. (The with the front standard in the second peg hole and the rear focus knob in its default fully retracted position.)

Chamonix_MG_3442_open_2cd_peg_hole.jpg

The tiny ~ 12mm level bubbles are reasonably accurate but not perfect. Using a large spirit level, when the camera is not fully extended, the camera is perfectly true. That is, when the front base is absolutely horizontal, the back is perfectly at 90 degrees.

At this point, of course, the camera would like the Ries 200 tripod coming from Scott and I'd add a hanging weight. Although for studio work, this Manfrotto might do fine.

Asher

Last edited:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
It looks like quite an exquisite piece of 19th century workmanship! Even if you never actually use it to take a picture it makes a nice piece of furniture! <g>

Have fun!

Asher Kelman

It looks like quite an exquisite piece of 19th century workmanship! Even if you never actually use it to take a picture it makes a nice piece of furniture! <g>
Indeed!

Ken,

I am quite taken with the workmanship too. I am enjoying just photographing it with my Canon 5D and 50mm 1.2. It's the latter lens, wide open that led me to this. I love the bokeh and the lens for the Chamonix is the PS 945 219mm cooke Portrait lens which sends light from the outside of the lens to the focused image and gives a unique sensuous softness. If there are bright lights from a window, for example or highlights, these are rendered as one might imagine a gentle glow from heaven.

So I'll use this wide open for portraits and figure studies. First I'll make hhe picture with my 5D and then when I'm satisfied i'll use the 8x10. For detailes of building, interiors or landscape i'll close down the lens to get is as hsarp as you can get with any lens! For events and steet photography I love my DSLRs. However, I just want to leap over the megapixel expense of getting the detail I want for huge prints from a digital sensor. For this, and the low number of images I need to make, nothing matches film for my particular needs.

Besides, it's like yoga without the saffron and squatting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This illustrates the 4x5 reducing back. Sometimes we want to use the LF movemets but shoot a small format. Well Chamonix makes a 4x5 reducing back with a Graflok reception for various films that I'll be testing.

So here's the adapter with a carbon fiber protector over the ground glass:

Chamonix_MG_3356_4x5Adapter_glass protector.jpg

Here's the ground glass and the composition guides for different formats:

Chamonix_MG_3471_4x5groundglass.jpg

Here's the Graflex 220 6x6 rollfilm adapter for usingf 120 film.

Chamonix_MG_3497_Graflok220filmback.jpg

Last, here's one small issue:

Chamonix_MG_3484_Polaroid4x5.jpg

The 4x5 Polaroid adapter cannot go in straight because it needs an extra 5-7mm to clear the wood frame. Normall on a 4x5 camera, this would be to the side of the camera. The simple solution is to accomodate the Polaroid holder bulbous end by increasing the outside depth of the 4.2"x4.2" frame holding the Graflok setup. This is actually a minor issue for me right now since, my "Polaroid" for checking the shots is the 5D attached to an adapter which I'll discuss later. Still, I want to use 4x5 Polaroids for some projects. Let's see what is possible for a fix for this.

Also I am set up for 8x10 Polaroid. Now that is real Polaroid, but unfortunately very expensive.

Asher

Last edited:

Jack_Flesher

Asher: We should be able to machine out enough clearance for the Pola holder without making the wood too thin where it accommodates...

Asher Kelman

Asher: We should be able to machine out enough clearance for the Pola holder without making the wood too thin where it accommodates...

The wood part of the back is 6 mm. Now they are going to make me the reducing back in Dark Walnut as the blonde was an error. So perhaps they can make it 8 or 9 mm thick to allow the bulbous part of the Polaroid holder to recess.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Concerning the 4x5 reduction back, Hugo Zhang says that there is a "B" version which accomodates the Polaroid holder.

Some more pictures showing how the camera opensd up. The front standard lies flat on the machined base, so obviously the lens cannot be stored on the camera. The white spot is a fleck of electrostatically charged Chinese Styrofoam!

Chamonix_MG_3398_openingcamera.jpg

The underside is really just a solid hunk of machined metal, I guess aircraft grade aluminum. The are two tripod hole sizes to cover what ever thread you happen to have. This does offer the possibility for using one hole for the tripod and the other to add accessories if one is so inclined. :)

CHAMONIX_MG_3386_Machined_BASE.jpg

Asher

P.S. I still haven't found where one puts the CF card :)

Last edited:
Some more pictures showing how the camera opensd up. The front standard lies flat on the machined base, so obviously the lens cannot be stored on the camera.

If you have a compact lens (like a Fujinon 300C or the comparable Nikkor M), and if the front standard doesn't actually have the Sinar light-trap grooves (as most wooden cameras that use Sinar boards don't), you might be able to mount the lensboard with the lens facing in for travel purposes.

Asher Kelman

If you have a compact lens (like a Fujinon 300C or the comparable Nikkor M), and if the front standard doesn't actually have the Sinar light-trap grooves (as most wooden cameras that use Sinar boards don't), you might be able to mount the lensboard with the lens facing in for travel purposes.
David that's a good idea. We'd need lenses that will cover the 8x10 image circle and hepefully allow some movements. I could make a protective spacer between the lens filter and the metal base of the camera it lies on so nothing got scratched. I wonder whether the new (old stock) Docter lenses are like that? They will be mounted in copal # 1 shutters.

GrpTest1s.jpg

© C.Perez from here .​

Left to right Nikon 200mm M f/8
Schneider 210mm Xenar f/6.1
Schneider 210mm Symmar Convertible f/5.6
Docter Optic 210mm Tessar f/4.5​

I'm buying the 240 mm and 300 mm Docters so they might very well work reversed as you suggest! I'll measure the separation beween the lens board and the back of the ground glass on the rear standard when the camera is folded and closed.

What do you think?

Asher

No, I'm not giving up on my Canon DSLR's. In fact, I'm shooting more than events, portraits, street photgraphy as well as travel. This dark brunette is my well deserved fling. So I am keeping balance! :)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Correct me, if I'm wrong; it requires at least a 240 mm - for a Symmar-construction-lens, if you want to shift a bit.

Using a Super-Angulon-type, you can go shorter; due to a larger image angle. But Super-Angulons are much heavier, too!

Jack_Flesher

Asher:

None of the lenses you have pictured actually cover 8x10 at infinity. They all cover 4x5 though.

You need an image circle of just over 300mm to fully cover 8x10 to the corners, more if you want any movement. As a general rule, Symmar or Plasmat designs don't hit that until about 240mm focals, and your Tesar designs above are even worse.

Lenses that will cover 8x10 at under 300mm focals are usually either really, really large (Biogons, Super Angulons) or tiny with small or really small maximum apertures (Hypergons, Dagors).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Hi Folks,

Hadn't realized how time flies here! So I'll have to update. Meanwhile, anyone else who has a Chamonix, feel free to add your own experience!

Asher