• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Suggestions for a hi quality backpacking camera

Rick Otto

I normally overnight in the 'wilderness' in the back of my pickup, so I can take lots of photo gear..... I'd like to begin hoofin' it a little and spend a couple of nights on foot, and I dont want to take my Canon, and assortment of lenses...

Anyone have suggestions? - what I'm looking for is one with at least a 3" viewfinder, 12+MP, and a long range optical zoom, and auto and manual modes. I can do more, but would like to stay in the $400 range.. It's about $100 more than what I'd like to spend, but the Lumix Fz40 has a lot of the features I'm looking for ... but I'd really like to have a little more zoom if poss.

Lookin' forward to getting started - Want to explore some of the slots canyons in S. Utah, so need to travel light as possible.. 3-6 days walking .. BTW, is it true that Global Warming has caused the ground to get harder ??

tks,

r

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I normally overnight in the 'wilderness' in the back of my pickup, so I can take lots of photo gear..... I'd like to begin hoofin' it a little and spend a couple of nights on foot, and I dont want to take my Canon, and assortment of lenses...

Anyone have suggestions? - what I'm looking for is one with at least a 3" viewfinder, 12+MP, and a long range optical zoom, and auto and manual modes. I can do more, but would like to stay in the $400 range.. It's about $100 more than what I'd like to spend, but the Lumix Fz40 has a lot of the features I'm looking for ... but I'd really like to have a little more zoom if poss.

Lookin' forward to getting started - Want to explore some of the slots canyons in S. Utah, so need to travel light as possible.. 3-6 days walking .. BTW, is it true that Global Warming has caused the ground to get harder ??

tks,

r

Riack,

What do you consider is long range optical zoom? Otherwise there are plenty of cameras with 28-100 mm zoom or abouts. I'd personally go for a used APS C sized sensor 50mm and ovelrap any landscapes. Often, what's interesting is either close or too wide anyway.

Asher

Jerome Marot

There are cameras like these which would fill the bill. They are relatively cheap (especially if you get a last generation model), small and light with at least 10x zoom. Some (Sony, Panasonic) double as full HD camcorders. They give decent results outdoors by day if you do not print larger than about A3 size. Their screens are not very convenient by bright sunlight.

The link is cameras two generations old, I have a Sony HX9V myself. Sony has just announced a new model.