• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji X100s Review

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Didn't realise you were a bow tie wearer! Respect from another. Just wish I could find decent sports jackets here but no such luck.

The painterly effect is what keeps me away from the X-Trans sensors. A shame because I love the fact that Fuji make photographers cameras.

Michael Nagel

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the review. I was tempted by the X100 when the camera was new. I was more looking for a good compact, so I ended up with the X10.
I do not know how much the X100s differs in menu structure from the X10 after the 2.0 firmware update, but I think that the difference is not that big.
I do like that the menu is seldom required as all the important functions are available through buttons and switches.

There is a difference in the character of the pictures taken with the EXR sensor and the Trans-X sensor.

Best regards,
Michael

Alain Briot

pro member
Thank you for your comments. Ben, I actually learned how to tie bowties myself. It's challenging at first but they look better than the pre-tied ones. I have a collection of about 10 different ones.

I did not know about the look that the Fuji sensors give to photographs. I don't mind it since my style is painterly for the most part, but it did come as a surprise. I like the term 'painterly' to qualify this look. It's appropriate. In retrospect this is one of the reasons why I like this camera. The look suits me!

Alain

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I also tie myself Alain, looks so much better. I started wearing them about a year ago as a bet with a student in the art school where I teach photography, I have a collection of 3 so far. I also wear what the Americans call 'Ascots'.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Alain,

Thanks for the review - very detailed and a good read. I have an X100, which I am very happy with after the latest firmware update, but will have to have a look at the RAWs from the x100s.

The X100 is 12Mp rather than 16Mp, but uses a normal bayer sensor, so will be an interesting comparison.

I use a leather Gariz half-case with mine (link below), which as well as being beautiful aesthetically (my view anyway!), has the added benefit of moving the tripod screw about an inch further away from the camera card door - so more room for a plate. The case still allows full access to the card/battery door, as well as the MF/AF focus toogle, but does obscure the usb port. Fits x100 and x100s.

Gariz Half Case

Kind Regards,
Andrew.