• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Introduction

Ronny Nilsen

Hello all.

I'm from Norway, and my main interest in photography is landscape and some wildlife.
I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west. And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :)

Here is a an image of Svalbard reindeer, taken in Spitsbergen (Svalbard).

20060318-6361-Edit_l.jpg

Ronny

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ronny,

Welcome aboard.

Hello all.

I'm from Norway, and my main interest in photography is landscape and some wildlife.
I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west.
Yes, indeed. In fact, today my wife and I are going on an outing (with a partially photographic motive) from our home in southern New Mexico. It is a fabulous region.

[quote And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :)

20060318-6361-Edit_l.jpg

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the image works the way you had in mind. It is almost white-on-white - maybe that's the idea. Your "signature" is white-on-white as well, with an "ethereal" quality to it. But again maybe that's part of the design plan.

Again, welcome aboard.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello all.

I like to travel, and one of the most fascinating places to photograph for me is the US south west. And judging from previous trips I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. Photography is a hobby, and between my family and my daytime job, I don't have much time left, but I try to use the time I have on photography. :)

Hi Ronny,

Welcome to OPF. And what better intro than with an image.

I like the idea of portraying the quest of an animal to find food on a huge almost empty plain. Is this a solitary bull, or is the rest of the herd following close by?

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello all.

Ronny

20060318-6361-Edit_l.jpg

Welcome, Ronny!

Great way of showing yourself, through something you love. I have never seen a reindeer outside of a zoo, so I'm pretty impressed with the open spaces and challenges this magnificent creature has to face.

Welcome to OPF. We all look forward to more of your work and exchange!

Asher

Ronny Nilsen

Thanks for the welcome. This image was taken on a snowmobile trip between Longyearbyen (main Norwegian settlement at Spitsbergen) and Barentsburg (Russian settlement). The Svalbard reindeer is the smallest subspecies of reindeer. Taking the image was cold: it was -20 C and a heavy wind. These animals live in really harsh conditions. The rest of the herd was close by, but I think showing only one animal better portraits the harshness and loneliness of the living conditions for these animals during winter. This is a color image, but the environment and these animals is really all about shades of white.

Ronny

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ronny Nelson: “Svalbard reindeer”
Spitsbergen (Svalbard)
Ronny,

This is indeed remarkable as a photograph, with or without photoshopping!

Your return is delightful in itself but also allows us to reflect on the remarkable animal that most folk think are just “legendary” and fantasies of Christmas’s Story telling and customs!

Great now we have confirmed reindeer’s are real, next the Unicorn, LOL!

Welcome back!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Welcome indeed! The image perfectly portrays the cold and isolation. Must be quite a challenge photographing under the conditions you describe.