• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Editorial portrait

Ruben Alfu

This is an editorial portrait for a local lifestyle magazine in Panama. She is a marketing consultant and she used to do modelling too, so that obviously helped the session. This is her bedroom, we had to move furniture (including a huge bed) to use that wall as background. A big window to the left and fill flash, that was it.

20160408_stella_oller_MG_4396_web_large.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an editorial portrait for a local lifestyle magazine in Panama. She is a marketing consultant and she used to do modelling too, so that obviously helped the session. This is her bedroom, we had to move furniture (including a huge bed) to use that wall as background. A big window to the left and fill flash, that was it.

Very efficient and simple setup. What was the fill in flash? Any reflectors to get more of that window light? I don't see any dark areas or nasty shadows!

Do you have any layout of text, or was this one not used?

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Very efficient and simple setup. What was the fill in flash? Any reflectors to get more of that window light? I don't see any dark areas or nasty shadows!

Do you have any layout of text, or was this one not used?

Asher

For fill I used a monoblock with a large translucent umbrella, close to camera right, around 5 feet height. I don't remember if I used a reflector, maybe, this photo is almost 2 years old.

This is from the magazine:

od_201608_web_large.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Hi Ruben

Nice to see you back!

This is an amazing photo… At 1st i wondered why is she leaning, then it comes obvious with the image seen globally… I like that image, because of many "small" details:
the clearness of the view
the fact that she's not in the center of the frame
the chair foot between her legs
the wink of the wallpaper pattern with the laces of her shoes and the position of her arms
her natural, nice looking behavior…
Good shot!

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben

Nice to see you back!

This is an amazing photo… At 1st i wondered why is she leaning, then it comes obvious with the image seen globally… I like that image, because of many "small" details:
the clearness of the view
the fact that she's not in the center of the frame
the chair foot between her legs
the wink of the wallpaper pattern with the laces of her shoes and the position of her arms
her natural, nice looking behavior…
Good shot!

Hi Nicolas, it's great to see you! Thanks so much for commenting. Yes, those details are so important, even when we are just trying out different ideas, those are the things that make us feel "this is it" or not.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

At first glance, I saw how clean it was and the assymetry and everything, all those details Nicolas listed, moving us to swing our eyes downwards. So I wondered where the text would go. I was seduced by the empty space to her right created by the assymetry. Still I wondered how it would balance given all those detailed markers for leading the eyes downwards!

Now we see the "payoff":

od_201608_web_large.jpg

This is a a "wow" moment!

Superb and so balanced and clever. Like the early hominids that drove buffaloes towards a cliff.

You too slayed us!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

This is a a "wow" moment!

Superb and so balanced and clever. Like the early hominids that drove buffaloes towards a cliff.

You too slayed us!

Asher

Oh boy, lol! Asher what's the word for images like that page showing a photo or artwork printed in a publication? I can't remember it...