• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Printer choice - experience sought

Mike Shimwell

My IPF5000 has started giving a head failure warning, that apparently means that I will need a new head fairly soon. Users will be aware that these are very expensive (450GBP). By the time I've added in some new inks and a maintenance cartridge it's looking more costly. I'm also concerned that the other head may follow suit...

I've also been offered a new, warranted HP Z3100 24inch printer with a 450 trade in on my IPF and 350 worth of media. This will cpst about the same as replacing both heads on the ipf with associated costs and allowing ofr the paper and trade in etc. But, I have no experience of the HPs. Has anyone used one over any length of time and advise on output quality compared to the Canon/Epson solutions, ideally on both gloss and matte media, as well as reliability and ease of use for single sheets as well as rolls.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Hi Bart

The printer had been installed for 569 days and had printed around 2600 sq ft of media, so not heavy use. Interestingly, there is another on the wiki that has had both heads fail consecutively with under 2000 sq ft of media printed in around 300 days. It a bit frustrating as you can imagine, and a part of the attraction of the HP is not only the fact that it will cost about the same as two canon heads plus the ink etc that I'll use changing them but the heads are so much cheaper if they fail.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Hi Bill

Thanks. I've actually bought one as the price was very right. I've also scanned the LL forum. When work eases up (I hope) I plan on writing up a it of a diary, but suffice to say that so far I've been generally pleased with the outout - and for B&W in particular.

I also had the wheel mark issue on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk but the new wheels istalled by the engineer fixed that. There's still a bit of gloss differential with this paper and a little bronzing (less than with the IPF5000) but overall it's proving a good package to date.

I noticed that Neil Snape is using the Hahne Baryta, which I really liked when I tried it on the IPF. I'll have to get a sample pack to run through to see how it works - hpefully Hahne will see fit to let me have a pack free as their retail samples are so badle packed they always arrive with the edges spoilt.

Mike