• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D3x

Clayton Lofgren

I am impressed by the gap between the D3x and the next five cameras, which are in a virtual tie for second. Should mean there are still interesting things to come.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The tide is moving! At the US Presidential Inauguration their were more black Nikons amongst the sea of Canons! There's a shift for sure.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

Maybe it's because we all are becoming more mature and do not feel the need to compare Nikon's flagship to that of Canon, since we prefer to focus on the photography rather than focusing on the tools? I can dream, can't I? :)

More likely, due to the fact that the D3x is price wise not in the league of many photographers. Just like a 1dsMkIII also isn't, BTW.

So I personally did not spend much time in finding out what D3x can or cannot do. Although I am charmed by the D700. All my analog cameras have been Nikons, I have only switched to Canon when I went digital since at that time the digital product offering of Canon was way ahead of Nikon's. If I had to choose again today, I'd possibly consider buying a D700(x). But hey, it is and remains a tool in the end.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here especially we're not so much into brand flame wars!

However, shooting in the late evening and dusk and in doors with available light, Canon doesnt quite achieve reliable focus with the 5D (which is both lighter and more economical than the 1DsII and III flagship cameras).

So to me, the D700 is the camera for 2008/9. It has the combination of dynamic range, ISO sensitivity, enough pixels for a great 8x10 and will focus far better than the 5D. Also the superwide angle lenses for the Nikon are frankly, in their own class.

However, as a Canon devotee, I'm already outfitted with film as well digital bodies and lenses. Still, if not for the finances, I'm very tempted!

Asher

John Sheehy

I'm surprised nobody commented on reports that the D3x surpassed all rivals in tests reported here.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/DxOMark-reviews/DxOMark-review-for-the-Nikon-D3X
Maybe I'll give up medium format film and buy as DSLR when or if an affordable D700x becomes available.

I've looked at RAW files from all the 21 and 24 MP DSLRs, and the D3X is definitely the king of ISO 100. Per pixel read noise as low as any DSLR (lower than most), with no visible banding, and 24M of them to boot. At the highest ISOs, however, the Canons do a bit better. The A900 is close to the D3x at ISO 100, but is the noisiest of all 4 at high ISOs.

Thanks for the informative comments, guys. I wonder if you might help me out a little more. The camera I use most is a Horseman SW with good Rodenstock lenses and 6*9 and 6*12 backs. I scan the slides with an Epson 4990. There are obvious limitations to the kind of pictures I can obtain with this set-up and the conditions I can shoot under. The questions I have concern whether a DSLR within the 20-25mp range can match the image quality I get for static scenes in daylight. At what size of print would image quality differences become noticable. What kind of image quality differences might be expected? Although I have F4 compatible glassware of fair to very good quality, hence the interest in Nikons, the questions are about any make of DSLR.
Cheers
Mike

Wendy Thurman

I've seriously considered buying one of these cameras but have decided it isn't for me. I don't shoot in a studio, don't really need the extra megapixels, definitely don't need the extra weight, and am more than pleased with the D700's high ISO performance. I think my money would be better spent on a 300/2.8 ED.

Wendy

fahim mohammed

I have called it quits with the purchase of the D700. A Zeiss all prime line-up and the D700 allows me
to easily go to 8x10, and with ' Blow-up' can go further. The camera for dawn/dusk/night.

This is the max weight limit for me. Not interested in more megapixels, but lighter weight. For street I use something else. For my zen moments, my mp and film suffice.

I am leaving for Europe in about 3 hours and my bag consists of my D700 + zf 50/2 + polarizer. M8 with a 28/2 and a 75/2. I don't need even this much!

35/50/90mm and ambient light is where I live.

Cem_Usakligil

I have called it quits with the purchase of the D700. A Zeiss all prime line-up and the D700 allows me
to easily go to 8x10, and with ' Blow-up' can go further. The camera for dawn/dusk/night.

This is the max weight limit for me. Not interested in more megapixels, but lighter weight. For street I use something else. For my zen moments, my mp and film suffice.

I am leaving for Europe in about 3 hours and my bag consists of my D700 + zf 50/2 + polarizer. M8 with a 28/2 and a 75/2. I don't need even this much!

35/50/90mm and ambient light is where I live.
Hi Fahim,

FWIW, I agree. So where are you going to be in Europe, anywhere near the low countries where I might have the fortune of meeting you for a cup of tea? Have an excellent and safe trip :)

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Cem, I would love to meet you guys, but unfortunately it is not possible this trip.

I shall be in geneva,cross over to chamonix, then montreux and leysin to oversee ( ! ) my wife's climbing prepartations!!

If I feel upto it might go for a couple of days to Munich. But that's it this time!

Inshallah, we shall meet and maybe sooner than you think!

Best.

Hi Fahim,

FWIW, I agree. So where are you going to be in Europe, anywhere near the low countries where I might have the fortune of meeting you for a cup of tea? Have an excellent and safe trip :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, I would love to meet you guys, but unfortunately it is not possible this trip.

I shall be in geneva,cross over to chamonix, then montreux and leysin to oversee ( ! ) my wife's climbing prepartations!!

If I feel upto it might go for a couple of days to Munich. But that's it this time!

Inshallah, we shall meet and maybe sooner than you think!

Best.
Yes, we shall hopefully meet sooner or later and I am very much looking forward to it. Give my best regards to your sportive lady and wish her all the best with her climbing. Enjoy the mountain air over there. And send us some snaps of bell wearing cows ;-).

Cheers,