• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Possible Fuji 50MP MF Rangefinder

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fuji MF digital?

Well that's the rumor! It is suggested that it has something of the form of the 6x7 fuji film camera and the advanced eye viewer of the X-Pro-1.

678957.jpg

Fuji GF 670 Rangefinder Camera​

If this turns out to be true, then it could be a very desirable addition for wedding, fashion and landscape photographers as a supplement to their perfectly wonderful DSLR of choice. This would provide the option of larger and higher resolution, detail-rich prints and a fraction of the weight of the MF cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Asher

Asher Kelman

For those tempted by the large 6 X 7 MF film sensor of the above Fuji film camera, read this interesting discussion here. This sensor is 3 x the surface area of the Sony MF sensor, (33x44 mm approx), in the Phase One, Hasselblad and Pentax 645Z cameras released or to be released later this year.

Considering this film camera is just $1700 and requires no charging to work it's still a camera to seriously consider for as a supplement to a DSLR for large prints.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Eh?

Do you mean a digital sensor about the size of the "6 x 7" film frame?

Best regards,

Doug

For film, I mean a lights-senstive surface of photographic film, approx, 60mm x70 mm, as compared to the Sony digital CMOS "sensor" measuring approx 44mm x 33mm as found in the Pentax 645Z and other new MG "50MP" cameras.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

For film, I mean a lights-senstive surface of photographic film, approx, 60mm x70 mm, as compared to the Sony digital CMOS "sensor" measuring approx 44mm x 33mm as found in the Pentax 645Z and other new MG "50MP" cameras.

Mmm.

So what is a 6 X 7 MF film sensor...?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Mmm.

So what is a 6 X 7 MF film sensor...?

Doug,

I can see you "squirming" or at least lifting your eyebrows in consternation at my use of the term "sensor" with old fashioned film! It's a "sensor" in the same sense as the silicon-based sensor is so named. It collects a relative record of local accumulations of photons in a state such that further processing allows a remarkably accurate image of an image, focused to that plane, to be created.

Neither is a true sensor or sentient, just that camera designers, engineers and marketers have gotten us used to the convention of using a biological concept of "sensing" to a physical phenomenon where sensation cannot occur.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The Fujifilm GF670 is an interesting machine. It could indeed be an economical instrument for high-resolution capture with a photochemical sensor.

I am disturbed by the lens board misalignment suggested in this image:

opento.jpg

Fujifilm GF670
Image by stevehuffphoto.com​

The folding mechanism seems a bit "casual".

I see there is also a version with a 55-mm lens (not folding), the GF670W (about USD 3k, I think)

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

The Fujifilm GF670 is an interesting machine. It could indeed be an economical instrument for high-resolution capture with a photochemical sensor.

I am disturbed by the lens board misalignment suggested in this image:

opento.jpg

Fujifilm GF670
Image by stevehuffphoto.com​

The folding mechanism seems a bit "casual".

Well, if you look closely and compare with the picture from B&H, the the Huffington camera is not fully opened to it's "clicked" position, which is perfectly orthogonal. There have been no reports that I know of of the camera failing to open in a correct position.

I see there is also a version with a 55-mm lens (not folding), the GF670W (about USD 3k, I think)

Yes, that's a sweet design! With a 55mm lens, (about 33mm equivalent to a DSLR), this camera does not need the extra length given by the bellows design of the 80mm one that I showed to be jacket-pocketable. I'd love both!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well, if you look closely and compare with the picture from B&H, the the Huffington camera is not fully opened to it's "clicked" position, which is perfectly orthogonal. There have been no reports that I know of of the camera failing to open in a correct position.
Ah, indeed. Thanks for your observation.

Yes, that's a sweet design! With a 55mm lens, (about 33mm equivalent to a DSLR), this camera does not need the extra length given by the bellows design of the 80mm one that I showed to be jacket-pocketable. I'd love both!

I'm sure. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Our most compact medium-format camera ("6 cm ×9 cm") is our Kodak Six-20 Brownie Special.

Here is a pic of that model (not ours, but just like it):

318819549_09986e4ae6.jpg

Kodak Six-20 Brownie Special camera
Image from CameraPedia​

This model was made from 1938-1942; we do not know the vintage of our specimen.

It uses type 620 film (almost identical to type 120 - 0.002" wider, except for a more compact spool). It has a lovely curved film track.

The little lever seen on the left side is a flip-out foot to allow the camera to be set level on a table in "portrait" orientation.

What at first looks as if it should be a shutter release plunger lock for long "B" exposures (but in fact the shutter control lever offers "I" and "T") is in fact is a lock to prevent inadvertent firing!

It offers two-position zone focusing by way of an internal swing-in close-up lens.

I do not know the lens aperture or focal length.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Voigtländer Bessa III (2009)

600px-Voigtlander_667_img_3428.jpg

from Wikimedia Commons​

Seems to be just a rebrand of the Fuji.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

600px-Voigtlander_667_img_3428.jpg

from Wikimedia Commons​

Seems to be just a rebrand of the Fuji.

Exactly!

If you want to spend ~ $2250 you buy it here and you can get that logo on it and the 80mm f3.5 lens branded with the distinguished name, Heliar! Still, if you don't mind the name, "Fuji", for $1670 and change and free mailing you get the otherwise identical camera from B&H, likely amongst the very best and most honest camera dealers on the planet :)

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
If you want to spend ~ $2250 you buy it here and you can get that logo on it and the[Fuji] 80mm f3.5 lens branded with the distinguished name, Heliar! Still, if you don't mind the name, "Fuji", for $1670 and change and free mailing you get the otherwise identical camera from B&H, likely amongst the very best and most honest camera dealers on the planet :)

Ah, yes, there is a lot of that going around!

I could have paid USD 400 more to get a (meaningless) Leica red dot on my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20, rather than just a (meaningless) Leica name on the lens face!

ZURBEAUTY-S.JPG

Leica V-LUX 4
Image: Imaging Resource

Z_fz200_beauty-s.JPG

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200
Image: Imaging Resource​

And I got the precious "Lumix" gold "L" square (looks like it should be on a string tag on a bracelet).

By the way, both machines are said to have the very same lens, which is said to be designed by Panasonic with no contribution from Leica engineers.

Incidentally, the machine does a very nice job considering its 7.7 mm sensor (1/0.118 cubit in Vidicon bottle notation)

Best regards,

Doug