• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Butterfly

Christine Rose

Zebra Longwing

413767415.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photo Christine! Are you sure that it's a swallow tail? We have swallowtails here and this one is missing the very distinctive shape. From what I can see, it looks like a Zebra Heliconian. True name would be Heliconius Charithonia also known as Zebra Longwing because it's so wide.

Christine Rose

Nice photo Christine! Are you sure that it's a swallow tail? We have swallowtails here and this one is missing the very distinctive shape. From what I can see, it looks like a Zebra Heliconian. True name would be Heliconius Charithonia also known as Zebra Longwing because it's so wide.

You are correct... I knew that and for some reason I posted Swallowtail... thank you for the correction .. nice catch

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Christine,

You've just met the queen of cyan shading and tulips that pose and posture like ballet dancers! She happens to have unbeatable detective ability and finds things when I have given up!

Glad you two are now acquainted!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BTW, what are the flowers and is this is a set up for showing off butterflies or is it a chance finding?

Asher

Christine,

You've just met the queen of cyan shading and tulips that pose and posture like ballet dancers! She happens to have unbeatable detective ability and finds things when I have given up!

Asher

Ha Asher, you are so funny! I'm no queen... I'll take princess though! :-D

BTW, what are the flowers and is this is a set up for showing off butterflies or is it a chance finding?

Asher

Asher, as I found the butterflies, I also found them often with these flowers, which as called Mexican Flame Vine and are native to Mexico, central America and West Indies. Their botanical name would be Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides. Sorry if I answered before Christine, but I got an oooh, oooh, I know moment. :-D

Maggie

Christine Rose

Christine,

Asher

Yes... I agree with the Princess... It was a great meeting of the minds... thank you..

Christine Rose

Asher, as I found the butterflies, I also found them often with these flowers, which as called Mexican Flame Vine and are native to Mexico, central America and West Indies. Their botanical name would be Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides. Sorry if I answered before Christine, but I got an oooh, oooh, I know moment. :-D

Maggie

It's ok Maggie... I would have had to look them up.. LOL... But it was a chance photo... I walk thru the butterfly trail behind my home with camera in tow... and wait and watch,,, you will see more varieties for sure... Maybe I will not name them... Let you try to guess their names... LOL