• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Oly 5 Mark II + Oly 12-40 f/2.8

Antonio Correia

Even with some issues this is great. The difference in light was great (the white wall at right). Shot with a 5 MkII + 12-40. Bracketing of 3 exposures and HDR in LR. Final image slightly adjusted in this program.
The issues at the bottom of the post. This is not neither a Red nor an Hassel ! Nota a Pentax either ! ;)
We can't have everything in life, can we ?

i-HNgmLMp-X3.jpg

i-tP7dMQ3-X3.png

i-9ZL7kZg-X3.png

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It’s a fabulous result.

“Perfect” is the destroyer of hearts!

You must leave “cracks” in everything you make and avoid perfection. Craftsmen obey rules and deliver perfect objects. These may or may not have a soul!

Art has the fingerprints of the creator and those gaps and flaws are the marks of his/her oeuvres. We must expect that the dark tones will always be poorestly represented. Don’t worry about it unless you are selling ebony or charcoal sculptures!

Can you share the originals?

Why do you use Lightroom and not go straight to Photoshop. That I do not yet understand. Is that that you are “there” anyway for cataloging the images so you mightcas we’ll linger and do what you can there?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher,
I have to use the camera over and over to feel it. To understand the some many setting available and know by heart and quickly where things are. That is what I was doing.
Experimenting, playing around with a toy. Preparing for greater works ? Perhaps...

I post the 3 originals bellow. They were made handheld. With some care of course...
Why am I doing this in LR ? Because it is available in this program and I have to play with it so I understand how it works and it's results. If it is available in LR why go to CC if it even asks to save files before doing the job ? More time to spend on a photograph with similar results, I guess...

Now, I try to be systematic on key wording the images. I have just discovered how good it is to use Smart Filters... One has to be very systematic and methodical. Perhaps I will write a cheat sheet to post on the computer to constantly remember the necessary settings.

Look carefully at the photos. he was coming down.

i-mmXxmK7-X3.jpg

i-FwZ8gWP-X3.jpg

i-r272Pqb-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

Perhaps try the Topaz filter to use AI to improve the shadows in the tree branches using justvtge brightest of the 3 pictures. Make a 4 X enlargement and then to a size reduction in Photoshop with the “Sharpener” option.

Bart has a procedure for adding a blur before that reduction. I think Nicolas is familiar with that too.

This could be a great way of making the shadow area of the fork of the tree sharp and detailed.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher... I do not have Tomaz and I do not intend to buy it.
In 2018 I have already spent some money on a new iMac, exhibition in Sesimbra and unnecessary itens for photography.
That could be an idea... but what would that extra treatment be for ? To see on the web ? No way. To self satisfaction ? No way. ;)
Thank you for the suggestion !
Cheers ! :)

Asher Kelman

Asher... I do not have Tomaz and I do not intend to buy it.
In 2018 I have already spent some money on a new iMac, exhibition in Sesimbra and unnecessary itens for photography.
That could be an idea... but what would that extra treatment be for ? To see on the web ? No way. To self satisfaction ? No way. ;)
Thank you for the suggestion !
Cheers ! :)

Antonio,

It’s the imperfections that give reality to art. I do not suggest that you “need” to repair this picture, but I merely continue on the path you travelled in using 3 pictures to overcome impossible dynamic range of black to bright light and then expressed remorse that the detail of the tree was lacking!

I love the new tools we get. The Topaz “up-res” A.I. filter might add the detail to the tree that HDR alone lacks. It’s just a fabulous possibility, like a new Leica lens for your camera!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for the link.

Perhaps people like to make different photographs... and there are many people with disgusting taste... :)

Asher Kelman

Apparently, there is a new software for HDR image merging. The following article was just published on dpreview:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8983058631/skylum-software-launched-aurora-hdr-2019.

Why people want their pictures turn into a Thomas Kinkade imitation is beyond me, however...

Hi Jerome,

If this can be done in software, on the computer it can be done in the modern camera if there is enough processing power. In a way this kind of software could generate in the camera, as an option, an HDR “RAW” for difficult shots where one cannot put light on the lion in the grass nor dim the light on the water hole with wilderbeast and antelope.

I think AI is evolutive and it will be of use and likely as not in our cell phones before our cameras!

Just an extra dedicated chip perhaps!

I am open to this as it will make taking pictures in all sorts of conditions, especially in disasters, where a camera with so much smarts could quickly provide more information.

The actual color palettes are a matter of garish or good taste but the technology is, to me at least, wonderful.

Asher

Jerome Marot

The "Thomas Kinkade" comment referred to the picture used to show the results of the HDR software presented on dpreview. I'll include it below for your convenience:

UI_07_Aurora_HDR_19.jpeg

Now, as to "HDR", I think that all recent cameras (including smartphones!) have some kind of automatic HDR function capable of merging 3 to 5 pictures into one jpeg. My smartphone and my camera can certainly do this.

They can, but I rarely find it useful. Sometimes it is, most notable is the case of pictures taken from inside when one does not want the windows overexposed. Most of the times, however, the merged picture is not as pleasing to my eyes as one with less dynamic range.

Asher Kelman

The "Thomas Kinkade" comment referred to the picture used to show the results of the HDR software presented on dpreview. I'll include it below for your convenience:

UI_07_Aurora_HDR_19.jpeg

Now, as to "HDR", I think that all recent cameras (including smartphones!) have some kind of automatic HDR function capable of merging 3 to 5 pictures into one jpeg. My smartphone and my camera can certainly do this.

They can, but I rarely find it useful. Sometimes it is, most notable is the case of pictures taken from inside when one does not want the windows overexposed. Most of the times, however, the merged picture is not as pleasing to my eyes as one with less dynamic range.

Jerome,

You make a good point, perhaps because the totally explained landscape, (as in this example), has less interest to us compared to the partially revealed scene with shadows.

We are used to wearing clothes, being well-mannered and concealing .....and then most gradually revealing, at the appropriate occaision, just a morsel at a time. We shun folk who blurt our their whole life story, political outlook, preferences, skills, romances and education, all in one first meeting. We don’t want to be that saturated and overwhelmed.

The same with photographs of landscapes or people, for that matter.

I think we don’t want just an “amazing wonder” in a photograph as “fait accompli”, but to unconsciously discover some gaps that give us the need and opportunity to privately muse and imagine “the rest of the story”!

Still for a security camera, getting all the information in one shot would be fabulous!

Asher