• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Announcing the fast link: opfphoto.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A fast login is now opfphoto.com.

I hope you find this easy to remember and faster to type in for those who login from their Blackberry or Palm Pilot or work computer!

Let us know how it works! :)

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As you get no feed back, let's post mine!

Personnaly I had preferred opfora.com instead of repeating photo (the "p" and photo)

It is also usefull to let people know that this is a fora website before they log...

But you know what? I really prefer openphotographyforums.com, today 3 584 persons (including spammers) have found it easily, openphotographyforums.com is our brand!

Asher Kelman

As you get no feed back, let's post mine!

Personnaly I had preferred opfora.com instead of repeating photo (the "p" and photo)

It is also usefull to let people know that this is a fora website before they log...

But you know what? I really prefer openphotographyforums.com, today 3 584 persons (including spammers) have found it easily, openphotographyforums.com is our brand!

Yes, Nicolas, opfora.com is short but opforum.com we own too if you like you can link it and we'll see how it goes!

I like OPFPhotosince it is easier to remember and say, although yours is easiy to write!

BTW, did you mean 3584 people?

Asher

nicolas claris

Yes, Nicolas, opfora.com is short but opforum.com we own too if you like you can link it and we'll see how it goes!

I like OPFPhotosince it is easier to remember and say, although yours is easiy to write!

BTW, did you mean 3584 people?

Asher

Yes Asher I meant 3584 people.

The problem is not to make any "race" between 2 domain names but to have a clear, short name...

For me opfphoto is:
- unclear (as previously explained)
- more difficult to pronounce than opfora (I don't like forums as it is the false latin plural. fora is correct)

Anyway this is not so important :)

Cem_Usakligil

For me opfphoto is:
- unclear (as previously explained)
- more difficult to pronounce than opfora (I don't like forums as it is the false latin plural. fora is correct)

FWIW, I agree with Nicolas. Introducing a new domain name confuses things and undermines the findability of your domain by search engines. Also, opfora is indeed much more logical. But why the need for an additional domain name? Is it to enable us type shorter URLs? We all use bookmarks or the like anyway.

Just my $ 0.02

Cheers,

nicolas claris

But why the need for an additional domain name? Is it to enable us type shorter URLs?

Hi Cem
Some people like Asher and I when oftenly talk to other people about OPF.
When these people come back to their computer they some time have lost the exact URL and "http://www.openphotographyforums.com" don't get easily back to their mind, so a short but logical name may help us (and you!) to market OPF...

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
Some people like Asher and I when oftenly talk to other people about OPF.
When these people come back to their computer they some time have lost the exact URL and "http://www.openphotographyforums.com" don't get easily back to their mind, so a short but logical name may help us (and you!) to market OPF...
OK, I now understand the reason thanks to your explanation. But don't you think that this will undermine the longer url on the long term? Surely, those who get to the site using the shorter URL will keep on doing it?

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Maybe, maybe, but we'll still have our logo!

OPF_H_baselined3b.jpg

When people will log thru the short name, they will be directed to http://www.openphotographyforums.com/ so this is the URL that they will bookmark...

The important thing is to have more good fellow phtogs around us!

The more we are, the more we laugh ;•0

Asher Kelman

Well, Nicolas,

Ha HA HA!!!!!

So add opfora.com

Either one will work as will .net too!!

Asher

just allow about 30 minutes for this to work.

samdring

opfora (I don't like forums as it is the false latin plural. fora is correct)

Interesting. From this side of the pond the Oxford English Dictionary says forums is the plural except in the following circumstance

(pl. fora) (in ancient Roman cities) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business

..but as Nicolas says it is not so important.

nicolas claris

Well it seems that, beside of geography (localisation) we are morless like "a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business" or am I wrong?

It is the same AFAIK with media (for press, Tv, radios etc) which is a latin plural of medium (meaning in between)...

This is not so important, but I do like to know the rules before (eventually) breaking them...

Rules, after all, are made to simplify the relationships between humans into the society. Ok, anarchy is a kind of rule too;-)