• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography and Music

Michael Nagel

This is not a new thing, but not widely explored either - Photography combined with music.
Take a photo with a mood as message, amplified by the right music, this could be enhanced.

The reason for picking up this thought is this comment I wrote and the thoughts that followed.

There is of course the other way of using music with photography - sometimes when I wander around looking for interesting subjects for photography, I listen to music. Depending on what I listen to, my way of seeing is influenced and can travel along interesting paths...

I am curious on other thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Here is a crude example - I shot this one and thought immedeately of the song.

Photo:

The song (thanks to Tom Waits and Jim Jarmush).

Something else:
This song (Originally by Marvin Gaye, but I really like this version) creates a lot of images in front of my inner eye - I could not find anything up to the power of the song, but I feel that up to 5-6 striking photos together with this song could create something much more powerful...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

This picture and the song is a great treat! I was hoping for just this. I previously posted a song, Ornaments hoping we'd get pictures related it it. No one responded after Charlotte Thompson's contribution. Maybe now folk will have become more creative!

Your red barn works well, but I'd love to have a cow. Maybe there is a cow in the barn or behind you when you took the picture.

As to the Marvin Gaye song, it is a transformation from the reality of bad things happening to good people to a prayer of hope that somehow blessings will protect the vulnerable.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Michael.
Love the barn. Wish I had a few around here to give a bit of colour.
As for the music, it works the other way with me. I have an iPod plugged into my ears all day. It sets the mood for what is to come (and blocks out unnecessary conversation, which is pretty well everything). The act of listening to music and living has been with me since childhood. My father would have music playing in the background wherever he was. Classical, jazz and popular got equal spread. I saw him at peace with himself when he listened. I learnt that valuable skill from him. Then I can be more relaxed when photographing. Even as I type here I have the music with me. Something from Pat Metheny if you're interested.
Here's a sample just in case it inspires you to do something. I wouldn't attach it to a particular photo but I might play it while I shoot or go to a gallery

http://youtu.be/Q74RcvbgtMY

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks - but there is no need for a lecture about the meaning of 'Inner City Blues' ;)
I know this song for quite a while and mentioning it was absolutely intentional as it hasn't lost anything over the years.

I was more aiming for the distinct images it creates through the lyrics like 'Panic - spreading', take whatever you want, there are strong images possible to express these words.
Currently there are several places on earth where corresponding photos could be taken. I do not have anything right now - does someone like try?

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks - but there is no need for a lecture about the meaning of 'Inner City Blues' ;)
I know this song for quite a while and mentioning it was absolutely intentional as it hasn't lost anything over the years.

Not meant as such! This work is new to me. Thought it might be new to a few others here as well.

I was more aiming for the distinct images it creates through the lyrics like 'Panic - spreading', take whatever you want, there are strong images possible to express these words.

Currently there are several places on earth where corresponding photos could be taken. I do not have anything right now - does someone like try?

Michael,

The LA Riots or the Boston Marathon come to mind, but they'd have to be "appropriated", hopefully with permission and used with fresh images as well.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Tom,

yes, it works for me this way too. Listening to music is something I discovered on my own - I do not have specific preferences - classical is something I can appreciate as well as Nu Metal, but Jazz has a big spot.
Thanks for Pat Metheny - I like him as well.

Here is something I like (decide for yourself how you want to call it), it is especially the first song of this album:
Rhein rauf.

Sometimes I like to have my soundtrack while looking for interesting views, but more often I prefer to go without as sometimes I do not want to discourage people to talk to me (If I do not want to talk I do not need headphones...).

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks - this is a graffiti - a stencil to be precise - I discovered one day. The title was immediately present, maybe owed to the fact that I listened to this song only a few days earlier.

The human brain is sometimes strange and maybe not perfect for the world/society we are creating right now, but it is often brilliant when it comes to associations...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,
I read your thread earlier and thought it was such a cool idea. I started looking through my images for a red barn, but didn't find one that I felt suited this song, so I chose a grey wooden barn with bovine included (lol) and well, simply colorized it to become a red barn and then remembered the lyrics of how the rain would bring all this gloom so decided to have more fun and add rain and gloominess. The original wasn't special but I took it because I was amazed that the barn looked like it was ready to fall down, yet there still seemed to be animals in it.

I know my take on it is not pure photography but sure was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.

oldredbarn1.jpg

Old Red Barn
Tribute to Tom Waits and Michael Nagel

Asher Kelman

Michael,
I read your thread earlier and thought it was such a cool idea. I started looking through my images for a red barn, but didn't find one that I felt suited this song, so I chose a grey wooden barn with bovine included (lol) and well, simply colorized it to become a red barn and then remembered the lyrics of how the rain would bring all this gloom so decided to have more fun and add rain and gloominess. The original wasn't special but I took it because I was amazed that the barn looked like it was ready to fall down, yet there still seemed to be animals in it.

I know my take on it is not pure photography but sure was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.

oldredbarn1.jpg

Old Red Barn
Tribute to Tom Waits and Michael Nagel

I love this and now I can listen to the music in perfect happiness. I could not do better. The shape of the barn is particularly apt. It has prominences like a camel has hums or a woman has curves.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Maggie,

Thank you very much for this barn, it is indeed a way better fit for the song than the one I found.
This is what I like to see - the combination of both music and photography has something as result that is more than a simple addition of both.

Best regards,
Michael