• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A church as canvas for light

Michael Nagel

There is a church in a part of Munich. The church is called Heilig-Kreuz Kirche and the part of Munich is called Giesing.

The church was constructed towards the end of the 19th century and survived WWII without much damage.
It was under renovation since 1988 and reopened last weekend. The renovation included repairs of damages dating back to WWII.

There was a light art installation by Philipp Geist with the church serving as canvas as part of the celebration when the church reopened last weekend.

A lot of words, now a picture for a start.

The projectors for the light art installation were installed in a room of the protestant church facing the catholic church shown. The electricity was supplied by the brewery located between both. That's a nice collaboration.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

So how did they achieve the lines? Did they shine the lights into a spay of mist they created?
On his website (linked in the first post) Philipp Geist states that he uses high-performance projectors (whatever that means in detail). No mist or similar means involved.

Best regards,
Michael

Robert Watcher

The first images posted are interesting. Just too bad the bright street light obsruct the view and take away from the impact.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
On his website (linked in the first post) Philipp Geist states that he uses high-performance projectors (whatever that means in detail). No mist or similar means involved.

Best regards,
Michael

Still, then, for that light to show, there has to be suspended mist or dust particles or there is no physical basis fro any light to bounce back to us and define a beam. The path of a light beam is invisible, of course until it hits some water droplets or dust!

But of course, the artist only needs to know his system works, not how it works necessarily!

Here, when the air is dry, one would have to give the reason for the light beam to reveal itself!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Still, then, for that light to show, there has to be suspended mist or dust particles or there is no physical basis fro any light to bounce back to us and define a beam. The path of a light beam is invisible, of course until it hits some water droplets or dust!

But of course, the artist only needs to know his system works, not how it works necessarily!

Here, when the air is dry, one would have to give the reason for the light beam to reveal itself!
I have the impression that your imagination leads you the wrong way.

The title of the series says: 'A church as canvas for light'

Then there is this:
The projectors for the light art installation were installed in a room of the protestant church facing the catholic church shown. The electricity was supplied by the brewery located between both. That's a nice collaboration.

The church is simply acting as screen for very powerful projectors which are installed as indicated above.

You are looking at pictures projected on a church.

Maybe this will help your imagination - this was taken on the rainy evening better revealing the path of light.
This is the protestant church (facing the catholic church) with the projectors installed and the brewery next to it.

Best regards,
Michael

Such a cool installation, Michael. I especially like the very first one that almost feels like the ghost of a church - subtle but beautiful. :) Maggie

Michael Nagel

Hi Maggie,

Thanks! I think that the rain contributed to this impression.

I just happened to be there for other reasons and did not carry a tripod with me.

I have to see the renovated church inside now that it is finished.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

... Illuminating a whole church like this is a huge achievement! Was this the work of one artist or a collection of the work of many?
Does this help?
There was a light art installation by Philipp Geist with the church serving as canvas as part of the celebration when the church reopened last weekend.
If you browse his website, you will discover that this church was probably not the largest building...

Best regards,
Michael