• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

32 GB SD Card from Toshiba for January 2008!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"TOKYO--Toshiba Corp., a leading innovator in memory card solutions, today reinforced its line up of SD High Capacity (SDHC) cards with three new cards, including the worlds first 32-gigabyte (GB) memory card in this high density. Alongside the 32GB SDHC card, Toshiba also announced a 16GB SDHC card and an 8GB microSDHC card. All the new cards meet the Class 4 specification in the SD Speed Class, ensuring they deliver the high level performance and functionality essential for advanced mobile phones and other personal digital products.

img2204.jpg

The 16GB SDHC card will be available worldwide from October, and the 32GB SDHC card and 8GB microSDHC card will be launched worldwide in January next year.

Key Features
SDHC Memory Card (High Speed Type)
(1) Realizes maximum write speed of 6MB per sec.
(2) "Class 4" SD Speed Class, guaranteeing sustained data write at 4MB/s.
(3) Integrates highly secure CPRM copyright technology.

These are not the highest speeds as we are seeing with the latest SD cards, but this is already very fast and should be fine for many applications.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

You think like a sportsman!

For weddings using a 1DsII this would be fine! Let's see how much these go for! I'd love to have 32 GB in reserve!

Asher

Nill Toulme

Funny... you know I only hit the buffer limit once shooting those two soccer matches this weekend with the 1Ds2? It really encourages (enforces?) a slower, but perhaps equally effective, style of shooting.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

clearly 250GB CF cards will be standard fare at some stage.
The main problem I see with such outrageously large cards is the lack of the adequate HDD space.

I mean - once you got them home, where are you going to put it? Terabytes were the theoretical limit of the address space ten years ago, now every photog has 1-2 Tb storage, yet with 250Gb cards (for the sake of this discussion let's take Paul's numbers as palliative) Tb won't cut it, now we need Petabytes, but thus far I'm not aware of the technology ready for the end consumer that would allow such storage at an affordable rate.

I recently started to use 8Gb cards instead of 2Gb and now each time I'm coming home with 10-14Gb worth of shots. While it's nice to not think about changing the media while shooting, my HDD space is disappearing by leaps and bounds. I'm not even talking about PP time needed to process so much material...

Oh well, at least the smaller cards will become even cheaper :) (although my 133x 8gb were already only $30 each)

Asher Kelman

The main problem I see with such outrageously large cards is the lack of the adequate HDD space.

I mean - once you got them home, where are you going to put it? ............

I recently started to use 8Gb cards instead of 2Gb and now each time I'm coming home with 10-14Gb worth of shots........

Hi Nikolai!

This is really a bargain since 32 GB will cost $10in new hard drive space, that's all (and $30 assuming you back up everything you want to keep and work on say about 30% right away, which is very unlikely)!

Now if you need to shoot 32 GB you must have an idea as to what your purpose is, otherwise you'll have brain paralysis just going through them, forget the cost!

$30 would just pay for developing of two rolls of 36 exposures of film, that 72 pictures of which how many were worth printing?

Now the same $30 will allow you to take a thousand or more pictures! We just have to delete much more at the time of ingestion of new files!

Asher