Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Panorama Photography: Vistas, Interiors & Objects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,781
Default Landscape or Gardens in Interesting Light. Stitched or scanned Pano

You might have shot this in film years ago or borrowed a 6x17 Fuji or even done this in 8x10. Maybe these are stitched from your modest digicam or come from overlapping 1DsIII images that held your breath. So dig up the images, restitch if needed. If you need help, ask!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,781
Default

Well? Who's going first? Fine! I'll kick it off!

We were in Tuscany and at dusk bats swooped out of their cave to scoop up water from the pool before going on there foraging trips. I have a proof of that as the girls were screaming and they couldn't see a thing and I had to just aim my camera in the direction of the splash.

Well those pics I'll share when I locate them. So we looked around and explored around the bat cave at sunset. We never did see them come out of what we had named their official home! Meanwhile I had gotten fixated on the Tuscany light. It is particularly golden, at least so it seems to me. This is the area above the cave.





Asher Kelman Tuscany Twilight 2003 Canon S50 Pano Stitch APP 64 BIT Spline Stitch do not copy or download


I hope you like the rich golden glow everything is painted with. I wish we could bank it! I'd be rich there was such a lot!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Daniel Buck Daniel Buck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 374
Default

here's a few 4x10" scans :-) Each of these is 1/2 of a 8x10 masked off so I can get two 4x10's on each 8x10 sheet :-) I may have shown the last one here before, I can't remember.







__________________
Daniel Buck - Photographer and 3d artist
photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com
3d work: DanielBuck.net
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Buck View Post
here's a few 4x10" scans :-) Each of these is 1/2 of a 8x10 masked off so I can get two 4x10's on each 8x10 sheet :-) I may have shown the last one here before, I can't remember.
Great to see film! Allso smart not to have to get 4x10 sheets of film! I like that system. Do you have a split film holder?

[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if this picture could benefit from some curves to bring out the dimensionality of the rocks. The other pics are better flat at the layering is the most important compositional feature, not detail of form.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
...Meanwhile I had gotten fixated on the Tuscany light. It is particularly golden, at least so it seems to me. This is the area above the cave.

I hope you like the rich golden glow everything is painted with. I wish we could bank it! I'd be rich there was such a lot!
Asher,

I love this picture, thanks for showing it. The light in Tuscany can do that indeed. Now I have to dig my films from Tuscany and see if anything worthy is in there ;-).


Cheers,
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Valentin Arfire Valentin Arfire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 366
Default Congratulations Asher,

I love your pictures and this one has even more magic in it.

Now I don't have to get there to check whether the stories of Italy light are true...

Somehow I was expecting from a Ektachrome Kodak something like this.
You continuously amaze me with your charming pictures

regards,
__________________
regards - Valentin,

http://www.360cities.net/profile/valentin-arfire
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,781
Default "Tuscany Long After the Harvest: Field with Straw Bales" S50 APP Stitched PANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin Arfire View Post
I love your pictures and this one has even more magic in it.

Now I don't have to get there to check whether the stories of Italy light are true...

Somehow I was expecting from a Ektachrome Kodak something like this.
You continuously amaze me with your charming pictures

regards,
Valentin,

I really appreciate your feedback. I like making pictures from inexpensive cameras, handheld. The task is to somehow get what's on one's mind to a form to share. With stitching, the humble digicam with it's great depth of focus can be simply marvelous!

Here's a panorama made using the shirt-pocket Canon Powershot S50



Photo Asher Kelman "Tuscany: Long After Harvest: Field with Staw Bales" Power Shot S50 Stitch in Autopano Pro.

This was next door to an old country home made from a long since functioning church. Next door, a farmer had already harvested grain from the fields with abandoned stone and brick buildings open to the elements. The woman we visited is a writer on American art who lectures in France and lives in Tuscany. This is the fate of writers who dare to come for just 3 month "to escape from the cities" and get wrapped in Tuscany magic light and cannot escape.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Daniel Buck Daniel Buck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Great to see film! Allso smart not to have to get 4x10 sheets of film! I like that system. Do you have a split film holder?

I'm wondering if this picture could benefit from some curves to bring out the dimensionality of the rocks. The other pics are better flat at the layering is the most important compositional feature, not detail of form.
I'm using 8x10 holders, but with a cut darkslide 'masked' to 4x10. Yea, I could probably do some soft masking and bring out some contrast in the rocks :-)
__________________
Daniel Buck - Photographer and 3d artist
photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com
3d work: DanielBuck.net
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Valentin,

I really appreciate your feedback. I like making pictures from inexpensive cameras, handheld. The task is to somehow get what's on one's mind to a form to share. With stitching, the humble digicam with it's great depth of focus can be simply marvelous!

Here's a panorama made using the shirt-pocket Canon Powershot S50



Photo Asher Kelman "Tuscany: Long After Harvest: Field with Staw Bales" Power Shot S50 Stitch in Autopano Pro.

This was next door to an old country home made from a long since functioning church. Next door, a farmer had already harvested grain from the fields with abandoned stone and brick buildings open to the elements. The woman we visited is a writer on American art who lectures in France and lives in Tuscany. This is the fate of writers who dare to come for just 3 month "to escape from the cities" and get wrapped in Tuscany magic light and cannot escape.

Asher
Hi Asher,

This is simply marvellous. Such great scenes coming from such "insignificant" cameras. I do not pity any prisoners of Tuscany, they have only themselves to blame it for ;-)

Cheers,
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Daniel Buck Daniel Buck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 374
Default

came across these again today, stitched at 85/1.2 wide open, which makes the FOV look wide and the DOF very thin. Hard to get a scale reference here, but the path is wide enough for two people to walk side by side.



__________________
Daniel Buck - Photographer and 3d artist
photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com
3d work: DanielBuck.net
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is online now
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,781
Default







This second picture works very well for me. Unlike the first photograph, the trees lining the path are sharply defined and the pathway is therefore clear. The path is an important element an d I wonder if it might be better darkened in the distance or else darker in the part near us. I like to see light being modulated where possible

I enjoy this photograph. I thought it was a LF film picture and only now do I realize that it's an 85mm stitch! good idea. I'm looking forward to meeting you and hopefully seeing you print this!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Bart_van_der_Wolf Bart_van_der_Wolf is offline
pro member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Buck View Post
came across these again today, stitched at 85/1.2 wide open, which makes the FOV look wide and the DOF very thin. Hard to get a scale reference here, but the path is wide enough for two people to walk side by side.
Hi Daniel,

Well done. It's a good example of thinking outside of the box. We don't always need deep DOF with stitches, but we may need more pixels.

Bart
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Daniel Buck Daniel Buck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 374
Default

Here's another 4x10" scan, tri-x 320 in HC110, 450mm at probably f22 or so, don't remember exactly. It sat on my shelf for a while before I developed it and scanned it this week! hah!

I wish there would have been more clouds on the right hand side of the photo

__________________
Daniel Buck - Photographer and 3d artist
photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com
3d work: DanielBuck.net
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old July 17th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Marius Titulescu Marius Titulescu is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7
Default

Really like your style. It's simple, yet pays a lot of attention to detail.
Congrats!
__________________________________
Marius from Summerwood sheds
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old July 19th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Peter Dexter Peter Dexter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Colombia
Posts: 749
Default

I may have posted this before, if so I apologize but with unusual light seems appropriate to the thread.

Valle Del Cauca

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!