• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

IR Some RG830

Nikon D800E ,Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED ,RG830
1/160s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso200
original.jpg

1/100s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso200
original.jpg

1/250s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso200
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

Welcome aboard.

1/160s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso200
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

These are all fabulous.

Often when I see "overprocessed" shots, I will poke fun at them, saying, "That almost looks like a photograph."

But I feel no need to say anything snarky like that about your shots (and of course I realize that the result was done "in camera" with a filter).

It would probably be helpful to some here for you to briefly describe the properties of this filter, even that it was a filter (I myself had to look it up).

Thanks for these great images.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Bob,
\It would probably be helpful to some here for you to briefly describe the properties of this filter, even that it was a filter (I myself had to look it up).

these near infrared images are created from long wavelengths than visible light and hence the phenomenology is quite different... greater contrast clouds, translucence in some materials and reflective imagery that measures intensity and absorption than colors.

clouds for example are more contrasty and hence more dramatic.

my post processing choice was to optimize the infrared nature of these images. threatening clouds did help and a visible light camera would not have recorded as dramatic an image

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

these near infrared images are created from long wavelengths than visible light and hence the phenomenology is quite different... greater contrast clouds, translucence in some materials and reflective imagery that measures intensity and absorption than colors.

clouds for example are more contrasty and hence more dramatic.

my post processing choice was to optimize the infrared nature of these images. threatening clouds did help and a visible light camera would not have recorded as dramatic an image

And, they were taken through a near infra-red filter with a cutoff at 830 nm.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

It’s far easier on the eye to see just one such intense image surrounded by adequate white space!

original.jpg

Bob Friedman: Untitled

The esthetics here are so far removed from our normal visual experience and akin to an intensely drawn dream image by someone with deep convictions or some Van Goghian Drive!

With bee and butterfly-simulated UV vision of Dr Klaus Schmitt, the presence, (or absence), of “comfortable” esthetics is besides the point. We don’t mind that pictures could very well be “awkward” to the human taste. However, such scholarly photographs have a reasoned purpose.

IR photography for purely artistic reasons has become a niche area of interest. However, it doesn’t seem to have gained prominence for museums, except for historical interest....

...or am I wrong?

I do appreciate the facility to bring out major differences and important stuctural identities but I would love to learn more of its place in curated art.

The quality of your work is unquestionable and it is so impressive, but like “slow shutter speed for running water and waterfiles, I have not, as yet “got it”.

Is it because this is far stronger and visually confrontational and intense than most other photography?

Or perhaps the works just need to be shown on a giant empty white wall with a bench in the center of the line of sight, placed for meditation.

A picture like this would reign over that otherwise empty spacious exhibition hall.

Anyway, that’s the point I have reached in giving attention to one single isolated IR picture!

Asher

the presence, (or absence), of “comfortable” esthetics is besides the point. We don’t mind that pictures could very well be “awkward” to the human taste.

of course, i am posting these works as they reflect my subjective view. my apologies to those that find them uncomfortable.. hopefully not inappropriate within in the context of a UV/IR photography forum.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bob,

of course, i am posting these works as they reflect my subjective view. my apologies to those that find them uncomfortable.. hopefully not inappropriate within in the context of a UV/IR photography forum.

I for one don't find them "awkward" at all. Of course they are different from most images we see here of similar subjects.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Your IR pictures are not “”Awkward”, far from it, they are well balanced, self assured to the nth and totally balanced.

UV insect vision might appear awkward as it provides color patterns we never see or hardly imagine. So it’s as if someone dyed the flowers. However, for science, they work exactly as intended and are in that context feats of achievement and worth.

The IR work, like Van Goghs harsh brush stokes have an excess of the normal tranquil level
of attention-grabbing magnetic energy we are used to in what we would otherwise expect to be relaxing garden or urban scenes.

IR light reflects, transmits and absorbs so so differently depending on the life qualities of the subject and mass. So differences in living trees and the lifeless ground or buildings, (hardly noticed in a casual stroll), now become incredibly bold and demanding of our interest and awe.

It’s the difference between ladies coming together for an afternoon tea with scones and a street preacher thumping on his bible and praising the Lors and threatening damnation to non-believers.

The former is pleasant, genteel, non demanding while the latter keeps us on our feet as we cannot but pay attention to the starkly contrasted choices offered.

Still that preacher could be telling the truth and the gentle ladies could be just sleeping through life!

So to the IR pictures: they seem to me to be defined by their attention-getting exposure of hidden but real differences. One could even argue that what they show is more valuable to humans than the usual pictures we see, conflating the living with the dead!

original.jpg

Bob Friedman: Untitled

But for art, some understanding of the place of the medium is needed and how it should be presented to others.

For sure, it appears to me that these pictures demand their own territory and should be surrounded by white space so they can breathe.

So, (just my point of view), they shouldn’t be placed close together as they are each so concentrated in energy and demands on our attention.

One cannot be passive to this kind of boldness in art, or be able to fully appreciate them stacked too close together. But I am opinionated on such things and of course others may feel differently.

Asher

Asher Kelman

So tell me Bob,

Do you see any emotional benefit or enhanced experience in how I have presented your pictures isolated, compared to showing 3, one on top of the other?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

PS: I prefer the stand-alone presentation as each of them has some striking effect (on me that is), which gets better visible alone IMHO.

So tell me Bob,

Do you see any emotional benefit or enhanced experience in how I have presented your pictures isolated, compared to showing 3, one on top of the other?

Asher

sure.. but i was avoiding three separate posts. the concept is to get critiques and advice.. so i have noted yours and i have been given this advice many times before..

Asher Kelman

sure.. but i was avoiding three separate posts. the concept is to get critiques and advice.. so i have noted yours and i have been given this advice many times before..

Bob,

The pleasure from contemplating a well planned and executed work of art is the reward you give us in taking your time.

One can only enjoy one great French wine at a time, one Kubrick movie and one beautiful photograph!

Your work merits the space, respect and devotion.

I have unlimited patience to study and enjoy an individual work of art.

Here there is no end of free space for your welcome work!

I am grateful to have the opportunity to host your images here. It’s a privilege and a delight!

Asher

Wow Bob, great photos, your photography is being compared to Stanley Kubrick!
I like the multiple photos myself, like being in a real art gallery, with multiple examples, like in a real art show, with a small group of an artist's work.
Awkward? No way.

Furthermore, 'insect vision', UV, IR, and whatever else, is not awkward.
Such photos can be and are just as much art as they are science. Nothing awkward at all.
In fact, nothing is awkward in art, only in the eyes of some beholders, and therein lies the awkwardness to be found.

Bob, you are a fine art photographer.
I think if one could drink your great fine wine photos, then even Stanley would be on the floor right now.

Asher Kelman

Steve,

Everyone has their own approaches. I respect you liking the pictures having neighbors. I also like that in a series about something like a rally, a parade or a busy street.

Still, I personally like to isolate myself with one rich beautiful work and enjoy it for its own sake. It is so strong, it stands well on its own!

original.jpg

1/160s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso200[/COLOR]

These IR photographs are each worth that singular devotion. I do not like pictures I respect being shown in bulk. Museums with crowded walls are just short of space.

Asher

Asher, That is nice, and you can do it that way, but many people go out and take a lot of photos, and they want people to see them, or some few together as a group, and want people to comment on them, pick their favorite, show them comparisons.
Functionally, to put each photo in separate topics, would not only divide them up and make them hard to compare, but would require a lot of topics.
So the group method Bob is using here is functional and usual, and doesn't seem distracting to me.

Asher Kelman

Asher, That is nice, and you can do it that way, but many people go out and take a lot of photos, and they want people to see them, or some few together as a group, and want people to comment on them, pick their favorite, show them comparisons.
Functionally, to put each photo in separate topics, would not only divide them up and make them hard to compare, but would require a lot of topics.
So the group method Bob is using here is functional and usual, and doesn't seem distracting to me.

Steve,

For Bob’s wonderful bird pictures, they tell a story and a sequence is great. The pictures are each exceptional but not intense as the IR pictures. For many street series’s too, we can see a lot of images together.

Here, however the pictures are unusually powerful and could command attention of an entire room. It might be only my opinion, but I have seen how major exhibitions sometimes do just that for an especially important inpresstivevor intense work.

Wow! Am I over opinionated! Yes am: I risk do being wrong and too serious, but I like to give special respect for work unusually well done!

Asher

We disagree. Not only about showing multiple images, but also wondering if something is marketable.
You may have a room for one of Bob's photos, I don't know, but that is not what he is doing here, nor with the fisheye shots either.
In fact, I have never in my life heard this discussion before. Not even from those who are agreeing with you. For the most part people post however many images they want, and others say which they like best, and that is fairly normal. It is in fact rare for someone to post just one photo alone. Never seen any even say they think someone should post just one shot alone.
Enough said.

Asher Kelman

Steve,

I am persuaded that any way folk present is fine as there’s a wish to pick favorites and comment on the group.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Actually you are correct: most folk post a set of images.

However, I am also open to celebrating on special picture that can speak for itself.

Folk have a free choice.

Asher