• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Stealing Beauty III: Tempted again by White Roses!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hopefully you have already enjoyed the previous images in this series, here. We chose another garden bursting with white summer roses. It's very practical to use found beauty as a background. One doesn't have to go to the market, choose the flowers and mount them somehow. Also by shooting in a public place, I a chaperone isn't essential. We have no makeup artist or hair stylist so this is a low budget shoot! :)

_MG_7229_MG_7229_TPZCL_Cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and Roses #3a

Los Angeles April 2014

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS II

Processed in Photoshop CC

Topaz Clarity

No Output Sharpening

A visit and a critique welcomed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I must say, I like the imperfections in the some of the classical large format processes. Todays images acquisition systems can be too perfect. Some degradation helps to gain back the character that older analog methods delivered so well. Here I must say I enjoy the Topaz Wet Plate result. Makes me want to get out my LF camera. I'm not set up for wet plate yet - that camera is being repaired, but a number of classic LF lenses have beautiful soft focus effects.

_MG_7229_MG_7229_TPZ_wetplate.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and Roses #3b

Los Angeles April 2014

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8L IS II

Processed in Photoshop CC

Topaz Wet Plate

No Output Sharpening

Thanks for looking and your comments!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

_MG_7229_MG_7229_TPZCL_Cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and Roses #3a

Los Angeles April 2014

This is precious. Kate has a wonderful innocent but lush sensuality, and your project well showcases it.

She need to lose that silly mop on her head.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Here I must say I enjoy the Topaz Wet Plate result. Makes me want to get out my LF camera. I'm not set up for wet plate yet - that camera is being repaired, but a number of classic LF lenses have beautiful soft focus effects.

_MG_7229_MG_7229_TPZ_wetplate.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and Roses #3b

Los Angeles April 2014

I can almost sense the silver nitrate stains on my apron!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

I find her position above the ground a bit strange, as if she was not touching the ground but floating above it. You wrote "Processed in Photoshop", what process was it?

Jerome,

Thank you for looking at my work. I simply shot the pictures in continuous sequence and here she is taking the last step. Not my process, just the "catch" of the shot. She is light on her feet but not floating. Actually the ball of her right foot is on the ground. Perhaps that impression of "floating" is because of her happy mood and light dress. Now I'd love to think of some idea to anchor that foot to the ground. Maybe some shading, but I'm not sure. Perhaps Bart might know. He's pretty good on the science of human visual perception .

"Processed" simply means using the profile for that camera, white balance, and white and black points and exposure to get the picture to a 16 Bit Prophoto RGB Tiff file and then make a smaller sRGB file posting here.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, I've been enjoying seeing your encounters with this wonderful woman a lot. You're a lucky man. She's so full of life and so is your image.

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

I can almost sense the silver nitrate stains on my apron!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

Yes, it does seem like there was labor and fluid all over the glass plate.

Kate too will appreciate your visit. Models, also, like to see visitors to their pictures. Now she'll sit for more! Thanks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

No one has transgressed in any way!

Just to let new folks know, Kate and all models I work with are fine individuals, often actors, someone's daughter and friend, and they do follow on line. So, while the photographer's art can be criticized, we take special care with how we value the model as a person who is helping and artistically contributing to the work and might wish to refer to these pages in their resumé.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I've been enjoying seeing your encounters with this wonderful woman a lot. You're a lucky man. She's so full of life and so is your image.

Jarmo,

Glad you enjoy these glimpses at Kate's work. I took a series of rapid shots as she walked down the path of a stranger's home. The idea is simply to enjoy the beauty that's there. She wears the same dress in various places where there is already something rich and wonderful to enjoy, so we do not make any sets just steal the "beauty" wherever we find it.

Although, she might bring my wife's scarf on her head or my wife's best teapot as a object to center on, she's not "meant" to be anyone but herself, free and reacting with what she finds. I just share a few moments, that all.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The next picture in this series, "Under the palms" is here

I hope you visit. For those who think the scarf is not fabulous, or is either a tree or mop, then you'll be relieved that my wife had to wear this next shoot!

Asher