• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Firewire 400 reader running hot!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just realized that leaving in a Sandisk 2GB card in the slot of one's G5 in the new black Lexar Firewire 400 reader may nor be such a good thing. It might be plug and play, but is it safe to leave it commected.

I discovered tonight a very hot CF card! How hot, as hot as the worst a Mac laptop can get!

I wonder how well the cards stand up to heat. It does not seem a good design for card readers that get hot! Why use so much energy in the first place!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

Sandisk will publish details of the operation temperatures of their cards, plus storage temperatures, I suspect. It is likely you can exceed these by some margin - they will err on the safe side.

If there is insufficient cooling/air flow, then things do get hot, over time, even with relatively small currents and voltages. I have no knowledge of your specific devices, other than sandisk's card. Maybe the Lexar reader detects its a Sandisk card, and tries to cook it.

I had a poke on the oxford semeconductor site, (they make the firewire chips in the Lexar reader, afaik,) but they have crippled the relavent data sheets pdf's.

I expect someone else will know.

Best wishes,

Ray