• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The end is nigh for XP

Cem_Usakligil

"Vista is nasty though, but in a year or so things will have settled down."

This may be so but it's main flaw will never be cured, IT IS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT!
Hi Will,

If I understood it correctly, Ken was not supporting his above quoted statement in his post, on the contrary.

Nevertheless, could I kindly remind everybody that one of the things we have always been proud of not having here in OPF is exchanging of flame posts about any particular manufacturer, be it MS or Apple, etc. No matter how much problems a particular manufacturer might have introduced in the past, it is not OK to generalize such that all of their products will be faulty by default.

The chances are, any complex software package out there will be bug ridden at various levels. The technology is way too complex and the sizes are huge, a simple human being cannot oversee the QC/debugging process anymore. So we need tools, and guess what? They are complex too ;-)

Just my Euro 0.02

Cheers,

Just my Euro 0.02

<mutters> which is more than $ 0.02, more it is in deed ;)

Personally I don't care what OS Platfrom is behind my application, as long as the application is not troubled by the OS that is. In case of music, windows until XP always was a bugger, XP was the first stable, my installation is still the original from 2001, never had to reinstall ever since, and I do run complex programs on it. Vista opened a can of worms, everything turned instable again, so I am not bothered and said hasta la vista and decided to go Mac OSX.

Cem is right, the source code debugging is massive these days, then again there are companies that provide a well structured programming from the start, other don't.

And of course, no sweeter business for some of them than the upgrades, often only fixing what was broken in the last release, adding a few new gimmicks, which again brakes something else, which requires a future upgrade, and so on... nice cycle, some call it the perfect money making maschine, and for some companies out there, this is certainly true. LOL

My old Atari 1024 ST had a quantum SCSI harddrive with a whopping 20 MB, and I ran applications "in windows" there without a glitch when Bill Gates was still having Akne problems Remember the early DOS? Everything had to be writen to the root, not folder and subfolders possible. LOL Geeze, I remember that I wrote massive configsys and autoexecs if blah blah go to error loop1 endif blah blah LOLOLOL, what a waste of time. <grins> But was fun.

I hope OSX will give me the stability I need for music and picture processing, chances are it will. <crossing fingers> ;)

Richard McNeil

I guess I must be the only person that actually uses and likes Vista! I am running Vsta 64 Bit and have had zero problems! Much better and faster then XP (IMHO). All my Apps work (Photoshop, Lightroom etc).

Rhys Sage

pro member
I understand Vista home has issues. My wife just bought a Dell PC for her office with Vista Business on it. It that goes haywire then I'll downgrade her to XP Pro (I have a Dell XP Pro disk). She really doesn't want Vista because of all the issues surrounding it.

I personally went down the Mac route after they brought out the Intel Macs. I'd wanted to go Mac after Windows 98 and regretted that I didn't. The difference is night and day.

I notice that XP is being crippled by Microsoft. My printer-server downloaded the latest Microsoft update yesterday and was noticeably slower afterwards. My printer-server is a Dell 4300S which came with 128mb RAM and which I upgraded to 256MB. XP originally ran well with 64mb ram and a 600MHZ CPU. Now it crawls on 256mb RAM and a 1.7Ghz CPU. What's killing it is the updates. Get rid of those and get rid of Direct X and it'll run well although what with the viruses etc, Microsoft is truly an offline OS.

My Mac works flawlessly and has since I bought it :) I have a new data storage model though - everything gets chucked onto an external hard drive. I wish it were possible to make it a permanant feature that all OSs looked for their data on a portable external hard drive.

Going further down that route, it'd be nice if software would run from an external hard drive without needing to plug the software into the registry - then you'd be truly able to use any PC for all your work. It'd make you a computer whore but I kinda like that idea!